Home for break, asked to go to church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2016, 11:20 PM
RE: Home for break, asked to go to church
I've skipped church the last few Christmases and Easters. Even though my Ma gets quite upset. It's just too much admin for me. And their church crowd have taken to 2 hour long services. I can't handle it. Their pastor's a good guy and their church does genuine good in the community, but I just can't take the woo.

I think a polite declination (like an innocuous noun) as Paleophyte suggested is the way to go Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2016, 06:44 AM
Do you have to have a "reason" not to go? Politely declining to go somewhere is usually enough for me whenever I'm asked to go somewhere I don't want to go to. If someone insists on a reason, then I respond that it's rude to ask.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
25-11-2016, 10:07 AM
i went to a church before, and those people sure do like new people, so everyone will talk to you, they will do anything they possibly can to make you stay, that including having hot chicks talk to you
26-11-2016, 04:19 PM
I like the kindle idea but read The God Delusion while the service is going on and make sure she sees it.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
26-11-2016, 04:22 PM
I like the kindle idea but read The God Delusion while the service is going on and make sure she sees it.

In all seriousness, my mother-in-law does that constantly. I always decline but for some reason, last time I kinda said that I would rather eat dirt. My wife and I later had a conversation on how that hurt my MIL's feelings somehow. I just grow tired of the lack of respect.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
26-11-2016, 04:32 PM
Home for break, asked to go to church
Act like you got saved in church and when you get home tell them you were just kidding.
26-11-2016, 05:46 PM
(26-11-2016 04:32 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Act like you got saved in church and when you get home tell them you were just kidding.

If you do that, do it right and yell "Praise Vishnu." The atheists in the pew will be the only ones who see the irony.

- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post