Home water filtration

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2015, 09:36 AM
Home water filtration
Where I am the water is VERY hard and has a bit of a chlorine taste on top of that. The taste is pretty bad and I usually drink mostly water so I'm debating getting some sort of home water filtration setup for the kitchen to have better water for cooking and drinking.

Anybody have any tips on what to look for or what to look out for? Usage will be under a gallon daily.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2015, 10:03 AM
RE: Home water filtration
under a gallon? I would go with a Brita either faucet or pitcher. Most newer refridgerators have a filter as well.

I think a few people in my neighborhood have reverse osmosis on the water line as it enters the house, so cooking, showers, laundry- everything is filtered. I don't know much about those systems but, IIRC, they have to add a mineral packet back into it?? but I might be wrong.

You might want to consider a whole house system if your water might be clogging or narrowing your pipes too.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
06-01-2015, 12:36 PM
Your best bet is to soften your household water with salt, and have an RO unit for drinking, cooking, or otherwise consuming. Reverse osmosis works extremely well, and the maintenance on the unit is low. He initial investment is more than a simple charcoal filter (Brita and their ilk) but the water is far better, and in the long run doesn't cost any more than brita filters. A small unit shouldn't even cost that much. My RO set up provides about 40 gallons per day, and cost me ~$400 including my holding tank (which I got used) plus about $30 a year for filters. You won't even need a tank, and your output will be way less.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
06-01-2015, 02:29 PM
We bought a reverse osmosis unit because we grow carnivorous plants and they will die if you feed them tap water in a hard water area. We bought a large water barrel (coloured blue, the proper thing) and used to regularly fill it up. It meant that we never had to descale our kettles.

I visited my parents on the south coast of England over Christmas and one thing I noticed about their tap water was the strong taste and smell of chlorine. I got into the habit of leaving a pint of water for a while ready for me to drink. It gave time for the chlorine to be released and it tasted much better.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
06-01-2015, 03:16 PM
That reminds me....RO water is good for your plants too. But for most house plants, and pretty much anything you want fruit or flowers from, you'll need to supplement with a little CalMag to compensate for missing minerals on top of any feeding you would normally do.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
06-01-2015, 04:56 PM
I use a Brita pitcher and it works a treat.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
07-01-2015, 08:19 PM
(06-01-2015 12:36 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Your best bet is to soften your household water with salt, and have an RO unit for drinking, cooking, or otherwise consuming. Reverse osmosis works extremely well, and the maintenance on the unit is low.

Thanks, I've been looking at RO but it seems like the water waste is very high. The estimates I find are that 3-4 times as much water is lost as gets to the tap. It isn't much in absolute terms in my case but I've lived too often in drought conditions to be comfortable ever wasting water like that.

Thanks to everybody who has responded; it is all being considered.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
08-01-2015, 11:44 AM
We use ZeroWater filters. Takes the total dissolved solids down to 0.

#sigh
08-01-2015, 11:51 AM
I`d honestly move.

Fucking hell, if the water tastes of chlorine I dont want to know what else your local authorities have fucked up within the inferstructure.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]