Homecoming and Natural Selection

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Homecoming and Natural Selection
Something must’ve gone wrong with our species. Everywhere you look, the females of the species are the ones that are drab and dull. But in our species, it’s completely switched around. You can definitely see this at homecoming. Girls that are considered the prettiest are picked to go out and buy expensive dresses and spend a fortune on makeovers. At homecoming we promote this. Isn't that.....well, a little odd?

Is there another species that does this? That singles out a certain quality like beauty to promote in such a ceremonial way? If they did, I certainly don’t think that it would be a very successful species. What happened in the course of history that made our species so advanced that they could spend time on petty things like beauty (of an individual)? And why, in our species, is it the women who go out of their way to be showy and attract men instead of the other way around?

"Leave the atom alone."
-E.Y. Harburgh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2012, 08:56 AM
RE: Homecoming and Natural Selection
In my opinion, it's more of a two-way thing for humans, in which males attempt to make themselves strong, fit and handsome to attract females, while females attempt to make themselves beautiful to be attracted by males. But why do we waste so much resources just for superficial looks? Culture might have played a role here, through the portrayal of gender stereotypes.

Other species that promotes beauty in a ceremonious way? One example that comes to mind is the peafowls. The male peacocks usually have large cumbersome tails that severely hinder their movement, which makes them easy targets for predators. However, the larger and flashier the tail, the more attractive they are to the peahens. Their need to reproduce in a sense outweighs their need to survive, thus peacocks devote large amount of their resources in their body to making their tails bigger and better.

[Image: 280px-Peacock_courting_peahen.jpg]

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
16-09-2012, 09:06 AM
(16-09-2012 08:56 AM)robotworld Wrote:  ... strong, fit and handsome ...

Nope. That's soooo stone age.

Rich and successful.

Ladies, what do you check out first when assessing a guy? His muscles? Or the expensiveness of his shoes?

Yup, I was going to point at the birds. Bower birds for example will beautify a nest rather than themselves.

DreamWeaver,
How do you know that when other species look at us, they don't think that the male is naturally attractive whereas the female is drab until she adorns herself?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Sexual selection. It is most common for the males to be showy in nature and the females to select, but in some species it is reversed.

It only appears that males are selective in our society because we have superimposed an air of masculine dominance on our society, but females still do the selecting. That is rather obvious given that any male could walk into any room and started inquiring women to engage in sex and he will promptly be denied, were a woman to try that, she might find herself quite overwhelmed.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
17-09-2012, 04:48 PM
(16-09-2012 09:08 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It only appears that males are selective in our society because we have superimposed an air of masculine dominance on our society, but females still do the selecting. That is rather obvious given that any male could walk into any room and started inquiring women to engage in sex and he will promptly be denied, were a woman to try that, she might find herself quite overwhelmed.

I don't know where you have been, but I can assure you there are thousands upon thousands of rooms where a man inquiring the women to engage in sex will be almost gang-raped if he arrived in a Porsche.
17-09-2012, 05:36 PM
(17-09-2012 04:48 PM)Janus Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 09:08 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It only appears that males are selective in our society because we have superimposed an air of masculine dominance on our society, but females still do the selecting. That is rather obvious given that any male could walk into any room and started inquiring women to engage in sex and he will promptly be denied, were a woman to try that, she might find herself quite overwhelmed.

I don't know where you have been, but I can assure you there are thousands upon thousands of rooms where a man inquiring the women to engage in sex will be almost gang-raped if he arrived in a Porsche.

That's the point. Because he has a desirable trait (enough wealth to afford a Porsche) females will be more likely to select him, especially if that wealth is combined with other desirable traits like good looks and charm.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
17-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Obviously not gay.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
17-09-2012, 07:10 PM
I dissagree that the female of human kind is the most decorated of the two sexes, at least naturally decorated. Women tend, far more than men, toward a kind of reflective narcissisism; women can and often do admire other women, often seeing a reflection of themselves or a longing to look like the desired object, often gazing for hours at women pictured in various media: magazines, billboards, and other media (notice that these women are air brushed, and highly made-up).

Men, heterosexual men, however, do not usually admire the aesthetic atrabutes of other men, there is I believe some homophobic quality here.
All together, in our society women are more aesthetically favored than men. I definately see both these types of aesthetic favoritism toward women as socially constructed.

I believe that without our makeup, women pale in comparrison to men, in looks, in size, and in aging. Much of ancient history viewed men as the aestetic favorite of the two sexes.

As far as animals go, I believe female spiders are larger and more highlydecorated then the males.
17-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Please see Sexual dimorphism.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-09-2012, 09:24 PM
(17-09-2012 05:36 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(17-09-2012 04:48 PM)Janus Wrote:  I don't know where you have been, but I can assure you there are thousands upon thousands of rooms where a man inquiring the women to engage in sex will be almost gang-raped if he arrived in a Porsche.

That's the point. Because he has a desirable trait (enough wealth to afford a Porsche) females will be more likely to select him, especially if that wealth is combined with other desirable traits like good looks and charm.

A supple tongue, a big dick, and stamina may also contribute positively.