Homeland Security Tracking You with EDL's

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2011, 08:50 AM

Exclamation Homeland Security Tracking You with EDL's
Enhanced Drivers Licenses: What Are They?

State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.

The Department has been working with states to enhance their drivers licenses and identification documents to comply with travel rules under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), effective June 1, 2009. The states of Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington are issuing these enhanced drivers licenses.

Enhanced drivers licenses make it easier for U.S. citizens to cross the border into the United States because they include

* a vicinity [b]Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) chip
that will signal a secure system to pull up your biographic and biometric data for the CBP officer as you approach the border inspection booth, and
* a Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) or barcode that the CBP officer can read electronically if RFID isn't available. (Article Continues)[/b] (Article Continues)

More Reading Home Land Security Office

Tracking your every move... for your own convenience. Big GrinConfused
Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2011, 02:45 PM

RE: Homeland Security Tracking You with EDL's
Alarmism is almost as bad as superstition.

When it happens, fully, I'll worry.
24-04-2011, 07:27 PM
why not use a passport?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2011, 10:16 PM

Passports have RFID chips.
25-04-2011, 07:24 PM

I'm trying to figure out what this thread is about. I have an enhanced driver's license and it does have an RFID chip. This chip is read when I approach the CBP booth at the border - I don't believe it's read any other time. Either way, passport or enhanced driver's license, all the information they need for you cross the border they have. There's no basis for a conspiracy theory here that I can identify......or am I missing something?
25-04-2011, 08:04 PM
There are also portable scanners for the chips so that at any time an officer could check your information. The idea is that it is a potential violation of privacy.

They are also though to be useable as tracking devices. as in connecting the frequency and seeing how it travels. radio frequencies are very open ended.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
26-04-2011, 12:02 AM

Okay, good to know. I just did a little more research on this and will be replacing my enhanced D/L for a regular one. Not that I have anything to hide, but it's the principle of the matter. If Homeland Security can use it, it will and probably already has.
26-04-2011, 01:14 AM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2011 01:23 AM by Observer.)
[Image: paranoid.jpg]

Better get rid of your cell-phone, and pc as well...
not to mention your bank and credit card, your digital camera, and your customer benefits card of your local discount...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
26-04-2011, 04:28 AM

Good idea. And then I'm gonna move into a small cabin in the bush and take my family with me, live off the land, after I stock pile for the end of the world that's right around the corner. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Michael Ainsworth's post
26-04-2011, 09:50 AM
yep now you got the idea =p

I was just giving you the basics of what it's thought to do.

I personally prefer someone scanning me from a distance than being stopped all the time by police so they can see my information.

I've had an enhanced passport since they came out (2008), I don't have a driver's liscense. I've though still had to bring it out and show it to everyone when conducting business =p Maybe my next plane trip will be easier.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.