Homeless Wi-fi Hotspots

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Homeless Wi-fi Hotspots
This news report has to be one of the funniest I've ever read. Apparently a company in Texas is piloting a scheme that uses homeless people as wi-fi hotspots. The person is fitted with a mini 4G device and is then free to continue with their day. Any person in range of them who wants to use the wi-fi pays $2 for 15 minutes via paypal.

Strange thing is that I think as long as the homeless people get a decent share of the profits (and actually take it seriously) it could be a decent idea. According to the report the homeless person gets to keep all the money they make.

Gotta say though the whole thing really does make me laugh Big Grin.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2012, 02:28 AM
RE: Homeless Wi-fi Hotspots
Interesting article. I'd like to think it would actually help the homeless but I'm not so sure. Ambivalence is what I feel about this venture.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
13-03-2012, 02:28 AM
(12-03-2012 09:30 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  This news report has to be one of the funniest I've ever read. Apparently a company in Texas is piloting a scheme that uses homeless people as wi-fi hotspots. The person is fitted with a mini 4G device and is then free to continue with their day. Any person in range of them who wants to use the wi-fi pays $2 for 15 minutes via paypal.

Strange thing is that I think as long as the homeless people get a decent share of the profits (and actually take it seriously) it could be a decent idea. According to the report the homeless person gets to keep all the money they make.

Your link is fail but the description makes me ROFL. Big Grin
13-03-2012, 02:32 AM
(13-03-2012 02:28 AM)aurora2020 Wrote:  Interesting article. I'd like to think it would actually help the homeless but I'm not so sure. Ambivalence is what I feel about this venture.

I think it could go either way.

Either no-one will use them or homeless people will start raking it in. I suppose they'd have to learn some basic tools for marketing it though.

Maybe they could just spend they day hanging round a cafe or something. The business may even let them have a few free drinks or use bathroom facilities if it brought customers in. I suppose the downside is they'd be stuck there all day though.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
13-03-2012, 08:35 AM
(12-03-2012 09:30 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  This news report has to be one of the funniest I've ever read. Apparently a company in Texas is piloting a scheme that uses homeless people as wi-fi hotspots. The person is fitted with a mini 4G device and is then free to continue with their day. Any person in range of them who wants to use the wi-fi pays $2 for 15 minutes via paypal.

Good.
If you see me on the streets doing this, Tim.. You know why.
BUY WIFI FROM ME.

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-03-2012, 09:34 AM
So homeless people will be required to have paypal?

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
13-03-2012, 09:36 AM
(13-03-2012 09:34 AM)KVron Wrote:  So homeless people will be required to have paypal?

Yeah. How will that work, Tim?

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

13-03-2012, 10:02 AM
I wonder how many people would be happy giving there paypal details to a complete stranger..... especially a homeless person (not that homeless people are all bad its just people stereotype etc etc)

I wonder how much the 4G units retail at??? Wink

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
13-03-2012, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2012 10:38 AM by k37713.)
I saw this on the weather channel this morning ( not sure why - but they do have news snipets here and there in the morning ). Anyhow, they are doing this down in Austin this week for the big South by Southwest music festival they are having. Austin is quite the hippie city of TX. They are doing this to help out the homeless and to promote people talking to them.. the open conversation up to help people realize that they are people too.. yada yada.. I'm in Dallas and we find Austin a little strange.. but they really do embrace their homeless people down there.. it's a little different, but kind of admirable as well.

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
13-03-2012, 11:33 AM
(13-03-2012 10:02 AM)bemore Wrote:  I wonder how many people would be happy giving there paypal details to a complete stranger..... especially a homeless person (not that homeless people are all bad its just people stereotype etc etc)

I wonder how much the 4G units retail at??? Wink

I'm assuming they wouldn't give the details to the homeless person.

The article wasn't overly specific but I would guess that it would work just like anywhere else that charges you for wi-fi. You wouldn't actually need to speak to the person at all if you didn't want. You would just log on, pay and browse. The money would go to the company running the scheme and they would then pay it back to the homeless people.

That's what I'm guessing anyway.

Best
Worst