Homeopathic "Remedies" Marketing & Prescribing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2018, 08:39 PM
Exclamation Homeopathic "Remedies" Marketing & Prescribing
The US Center for Inquiry has filed a complaint against CVS Health with the DC Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs in order to keep CVS from marketing homeopathic products as though they are scientifically proven treatments, or displaying them alongside real, evidence-based medicine.

CVS Must Stop Marketing Homeopathic Pseudoscience as Real Medicine in D.C.

"CVS Health is deliberately creating the false impression that homeopathic products are as safe and effective as scientifically-proven medicine,” said Nicholas Little, CFI’s Vice President and General Counsel. "By obscuring the crucial distinction between genuine and sham treatments, CVS is unscrupulously abusing the trust of its customers while putting their health and even their lives at risk".

But the this message—I think—is seriously diluted [sic ] by their later proposal:

"Rather than asking that CVS no longer be allowed to sell homeopathic products, CFI [merely] suggests a series of changes, such as no longer displaying homeopathics on the same shelves as evidence-based medicines and creating a new homeopathy section of their physical and online stores with clear warnings there is no evidence that the products contained therein are effective for the treatment of any ailment or condition".

• Why does the FDA not simply place a total ban on the production and sale of all so-called homeopathic medicines?

• Is the FDA influenced politically by the alternative and complimentary corporations that that earn millions of dollars selling worthless CAM products? [US $7.5 billion, 2017, Statista]

• Should clinically naive consumers have the expectation that all pharmacies (or chemist shops) provide only scientifically proven medications and drugs, or is the expectation one of caveat emptor?

• According to the National Institutes of Health [2015], over 6 million people in the US use homeopathy, including 1 million children. Why is it that this demographic is so ignorant, gullible or credulous of homeopathy? Lower socioeconomic factors such as income, education or race?

• Should government and/or private health funding subsidies be completely withdrawn from the consulting and prescribing costs of homeopathic products? Why should all consumers contribute to these subsidies or health insurance premiums?

• And finally, should all registered medical practitioners be banned from prescribing homeopathic products?

Huh

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post
10-01-2018, 09:37 PM
RE: Homeopathic "Remedies" Marketing & Prescribing
On a similar vein, a couple we met deals with Applied Kinesiology.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
10-01-2018, 09:45 PM
(10-01-2018 08:39 PM)SYZ Wrote:  The US Center for Inquiry has filed a complaint against CVS Health with the DC Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs in order to keep CVS from marketing homeopathic products as though they are scientifically proven treatments, or displaying them alongside real, evidence-based medicine.

CVS Must Stop Marketing Homeopathic Pseudoscience as Real Medicine in D.C.

"CVS Health is deliberately creating the false impression that homeopathic products are as safe and effective as scientifically-proven medicine,” said Nicholas Little, CFI’s Vice President and General Counsel. "By obscuring the crucial distinction between genuine and sham treatments, CVS is unscrupulously abusing the trust of its customers while putting their health and even their lives at risk".

But the this message—I think—is seriously diluted [sic ] by their later proposal:

"Rather than asking that CVS no longer be allowed to sell homeopathic products, CFI [merely] suggests a series of changes, such as no longer displaying homeopathics on the same shelves as evidence-based medicines and creating a new homeopathy section of their physical and online stores with clear warnings there is no evidence that the products contained therein are effective for the treatment of any ailment or condition".

• Why does the FDA not simply place a total ban on the production and sale of all so-called homeopathic medicines?

• Is the FDA influenced politically by the alternative and complimentary corporations that that earn millions of dollars selling worthless CAM products? [US $7.5 billion, 2017, Statista]

• Should clinically naive consumers have the expectation that all pharmacies (or chemist shops) provide only scientifically proven medications and drugs, or is the expectation one of caveat emptor?

• According to the National Institutes of Health [2015], over 6 million people in the US use homeopathy, including 1 million children. Why is it that this demographic is so ignorant, gullible or credulous of homeopathy? Lower socioeconomic factors such as income, education or race?

• Should government and/or private health funding subsidies be completely withdrawn from the consulting and prescribing costs of homeopathic products? Why should all consumers contribute to these subsidies or health insurance premiums?

• And finally, should all registered medical practitioners be banned from prescribing homeopathic products?

Huh

It's because the homeopathy crowd and the rest of the pseudoscientific bullshit pushers are making money hand over fist, so yes, they can buy political influence. *Also* their followers are a bunch of fanatics, much like the antivax crowd or indeed any major religion. If you tried to ban homeopathy it'd be like trying to ban religion. They'd scream 'til they were blue in the face about government oppression. Unfortunately pragmatic reality means that pushing for more honest marketing is about the best one can do - even in Australia homeopathic stuff is not banned from being sold.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
11-01-2018, 01:34 AM
I think that homeopathic products should be banned. I don't give a damn about adult stupid enough to use it but children deserve state protection from idiocy of their parents.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
11-01-2018, 05:02 AM
(11-01-2018 01:34 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I think that homeopathic products should be banned. I don't give a damn about adult stupid enough to use it but children deserve state protection from idiocy of their parents.

[Image: a-nations-greatness-is-measured-by-how-i...uote-1.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
11-01-2018, 09:07 AM
(11-01-2018 05:02 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(11-01-2018 01:34 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I think that homeopathic products should be banned. I don't give a damn about adult stupid enough to use it but children deserve state protection from idiocy of their parents.

[Image: a-nations-greatness-is-measured-by-how-i...uote-1.jpg]

All the nations we call great tend to kick 'em when they're down Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
11-01-2018, 09:22 AM
(11-01-2018 09:07 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-01-2018 05:02 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: a-nations-greatness-is-measured-by-how-i...uote-1.jpg]

All the nations we call great tend to kick 'em when they're down Dodgy

Perhaps we call wrong nations great, then?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
11-01-2018, 09:40 AM
I was shopping on amazon and decided to look if they had a decongestant I could add to the order and save me a trip to the drugstore.

The first one I looked at turned out to be homeopathic.

At the very least they should label these things, I found out reading the small print.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-01-2018, 09:42 AM
(11-01-2018 05:02 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: a-nations-greatness-is-measured-by-how-i...uote-1.jpg]

[Image: nation.jpg]

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
11-01-2018, 10:05 AM
Homeopathic remedies remind me of an interesting examination on the placebo effect of fake medication done by Harvard.

"How placebos work is still not quite understood, but it involves a complex neurobiological reaction that includes everything from increases in feel-good neurotransmitters, like endorphins and dopamine, to greater activity in certain brain regions linked to moods, emotional reactions, and self-awareness. All of it can have therapeutic benefit. "The placebo effect is a way for your brain to tell the body what it needs to feel better," says Kaptchuk.

"But placebos are not all about releasing brainpower. You also need the ritual of treatment. "When you look at these studies that compare drugs with placebos, there is the entire environmental and ritual factor at work," says Kaptchuk. "You have to go to a clinic at certain times and be examined by medical professionals in white coats. You receive all kinds of exotic pills and undergo strange procedures. All this can have a profound impact on how the body perceives symptoms because you feel you are getting attention and care."

But THIS is what I found amazing:

Placebos often work because people don't know they are getting one. But what happens if you know you are getting a placebo?

"A 2014 study led by Kaptchuk and published in Science Translational Medicine explored this by testing how people reacted to migraine pain medication. One group took a migraine drug labeled with the drug's name, another took a placebo labeled "placebo," and a third group took nothing. The researchers discovered that the placebo was 50% as effective as the real drug to reduce pain after a migraine attack."

"The researchers speculated that a driving force beyond this reaction was the simple act of taking a pill. "People associate the ritual of taking medicine as a positive healing effect," says Kaptchuk. "Even if they know it's not medicine, the action itself can stimulate the brain into thinking the body is being healed."

So even knowing you're taking a sugar pill gives a positive result. I'll be honest and say that I've had acupuncture and felt fabulous afterwards. I'm sure it was the ritual, the soft music being played in the background, the attention being given to me and the cute little waterfall in the warm, inviting private room. But I felt great for a couple of weeks. It was all placebo but I'm not trying to cure cancer or some major ailment, I was just super stressed out and getting colds one after another.

I think religion and it's rutual has the biggest placebo effect. It far surpasses homeopathic stuff.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mental-he...ebo-effect

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post