Homeopathy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2015, 09:40 AM
Homeopathy
NPR did a segment on homeopathy this morning; story here (the article is a transcript of the audio).

It is good that the FDA is re-evaluating its position but we'll have to see what happens. Listening to the "doctor" talk about how the solution has a memory or energy that promotes healing was infuriating since he has nothing but anecdotal evidence of any benefit and not even a hypothesis as to how it might possibly be working.

The first "patient" supposedly suffered from laryngitis but sounded pretty clear to me. The rest of her claimed symptoms were also perfect for treatment with a placebo since she appeared to have nothing really wrong with her. I'm just sorry that they gave her the last word.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
20-04-2015, 10:19 AM
RE: Homeopathy
The thing is, most people usually get better anyway, all by themselves. So selection of the cohort is pretty important. The doc from Yale (I think it was) said there is no proof it works, but that's discounting the attention and psych effect just having someone sit and listen to you, that you respect as a "healer". I think if there is no demonstrated harm, banning homeopathy is not a good idea.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
20-04-2015, 10:28 AM
(20-04-2015 10:19 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I think if there is no demonstrated harm, banning homeopathy is not a good idea.

I don't disagree but I think there's a line being crossed when the physician is saying that the solution has some kind of energy that is actively treating the problem. It discourages people from using proven remedies and primes them to accept other woo.

A first step might be some truth in advertising rules where it has to be clear that studies have shown these solutions to have no effect beyond placebo or chance and that there is no known mechanism to explain how they could possibly have any greater effect.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
20-04-2015, 10:31 AM
(20-04-2015 10:19 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The thing is, most people usually get better anyway, all by themselves. So selection of the cohort is pretty important. The doc from Yale (I think it was) said there is no proof it works, but that's discounting the attention and psych effect just having someone sit and listen to you, that you respect as a "healer". I think if there is no demonstrated harm, banning homeopathy is not a good idea.

The harm comes from not actually treating the disease.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Homeopathic Medicine - is an oxymoron...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-04-2015, 01:31 PM
(20-04-2015 10:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-04-2015 10:19 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The thing is, most people usually get better anyway, all by themselves. So selection of the cohort is pretty important. The doc from Yale (I think it was) said there is no proof it works, but that's discounting the attention and psych effect just having someone sit and listen to you, that you respect as a "healer". I think if there is no demonstrated harm, banning homeopathy is not a good idea.

The harm comes from not actually treating the disease.

If the patients want to go to, and pay woomeisters, they're goona do it one way or another. As an "adjunct" (in addition to regular treatments) I don't see the problem. The lady in the office in this morning's piece probably should have, and would have been sent home with no RX from a FP doc. If she wants to spend her money on woo, that's her business.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-04-2015, 02:23 PM
(20-04-2015 01:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(20-04-2015 10:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  The harm comes from not actually treating the disease.

If the patients want to go to, and pay woomeisters, they're goona do it one way or another. As an "adjunct" (in addition to regular treatments) I don't see the problem. The lady in the office in this morning's piece probably should have, and would have been sent home with no RX from a FP doc. If she wants to spend her money on woo, that's her business.
A guy I met at my local atheist group is adamantly against stuff like this, for good reason. His mother died from a treatable disease/condition because her friend convinced her that modern medicine doesn't treat it as well as this alternative method. She kept with the alternative method despite getting worse. She was at a point where she didn't trust a regular doctor.

I think there is definite harm from selling treatment that isn't really treatment.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
20-04-2015, 05:18 PM
(20-04-2015 01:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(20-04-2015 10:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  The harm comes from not actually treating the disease.

The children - it's always the children who suffer for the stupidity. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-04-2015, 07:38 PM
Homeopathy has its place, it does. I believe in holistic approaches to modern day diseases, etc. BUT...it should not be a substitute for modern medicine. The trouble with modern medicine is that it seems to be reactive, rather than proactive. There are strides being made, but modern medicine is in bed with big pharma, so it behooves a person to not only rely on his/her doc, but also take care of one's self and rely on doing research to stay abreast of diseases and so on.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
20-04-2015, 08:28 PM
(20-04-2015 05:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-04-2015 01:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If the patients want to go to, and pay woomeisters, they're goona do it one way or another. As an "adjunct" (in addition to regular treatments) I don't see the problem. The lady in the office in this morning's piece probably should have, and would have been sent home with no RX from a FP doc. If she wants to spend her money on woo, that's her business.

The children - it's always the children who suffer for the stupidity. Angry

Precisely. A parent who uses homeopathy on their children in lieu of real medicine is no better than parents who only pray for their children instead of taking them to a doctor.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]