Homeopathy/Acupuncture for dogs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Homeopathy/Acupuncture for dogs
I was in yoga today and the teacher, who I like but she gets a little wooish sometimes, was asked by a student about giving her dog homeopathy medication for arthritis. (I'm being generous calling it medication) The teacher claimed that homeopathy works because the dog got better and how is the dog going to know what's in the pills. It couldn't be placebo effect because the dog has no understanding of medicine.

Hummm, skeptical me.

So when I got home I googled "placebo effect in dogs" and sure enough, there is such a thing. It's called "caregiver placebo effect".

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2012/11/caregiv...n-it-isnt/

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/is-t...r-animals/

http://web.randi.org/swift/alternative-m...s-for-pets

It also happens with cats.

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyvet/d...-too-31478

I would also think that a dog would be perceptive enough to hear and smell the difference when something like medication is being put in their food and the owner pets them a little more, kisses them more. All which will help the dog relax.

I can't wait to get back to yoga with this information. Snicker-snicker. Ha... ha, and again I say.....ha! Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like dancefortwo's post
22-03-2015, 10:47 PM
RE: Homeopathy/Acupuncture for dogs
......... Frusty ....... Frusty .......
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
23-03-2015, 05:11 AM
(22-03-2015 02:54 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I would also think that a dog would be perceptive enough to hear and smell the difference when something like medication is being put in their food and the owner pets them a little more, kisses them more. All which will help the dog relax.

The dog wouldn't be able to smell any medication because there's none there. if you carried out a 30C dilution in one go on a couple of drops of substance, you'd need a sphere 33.5 light years in diameter. good luck finding an active substance in that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dFYfeADX7g

95:25 - 7:00
23-03-2015, 05:18 AM
PT Barnum, "A fool and their money are soon parted".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-03-2015, 06:30 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2015 09:27 AM by NoSkyDaddy.)
(23-03-2015 05:11 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  The dog wouldn't be able to smell any medication because there's none there. if you carried out a 30C dilution in one go on a couple of drops of substance, you'd need a sphere 33.5 light years in diameter. good luck finding an active substance in that.

Actually, some brands use brandy as a "preservative", although, I'm not sure what they're actually preserving. (Bach Flower Remedies: "The Remedies contain 27% grape based brandy as a preservative.") At 27% Bach remedies are 54 proof! There's an active ingredient after all!Facepalm

Edit: posted this right after getting up this morning, so, I made an error.
27% brandy, not 27% alcohol. But it's more deluded, so, it's more powerful, right?

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
[+] 1 user Likes NoSkyDaddy's post
23-03-2015, 07:25 AM
Some of these so called homeopathic remedies for pets aren't harmless. Some of them contain large quantities of alcohol, which can be harmful to your furry friend. Pet Value recently got a lot of grief over one of these products and stopped selling it after people threatened boycotts.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
23-03-2015, 09:55 AM
(23-03-2015 05:11 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(22-03-2015 02:54 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I would also think that a dog would be perceptive enough to hear and smell the difference when something like medication is being put in their food and the owner pets them a little more, kisses them more. All which will help the dog relax.

The dog wouldn't be able to smell any medication because there's none there. if you carried out a 30C dilution in one go on a couple of drops of substance, you'd need a sphere 33.5 light years in diameter. good luck finding an active substance in that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dFYfeADX7g

95:25 - 7:00

They put preservatives in it so the dog could be smelling that. Dogs have an amazing sense of smell. But the owners are interpreting everything for their furry friends, like a psychic medium. Poor dogs and cats.

23-03-2015, 10:25 AM
Thanks, good people. I'd forgotten the brandy/vodka preservation technique. And I agree with you NoSkyDaddy, what is there to preserve? One site I read suggested adding brandy to your home made products if you were going to keep them for more than a few days. Are some/all store bought products immune to this need for preservation?

And I agree with you, BnW. Giving alcohol to your furry friend is not a good idea in any way.
23-03-2015, 12:49 PM
According to Homeopathy Fact #17: " There are no molecules in any homoeopathic dilution, because the substances have been reduced to nano-phase, which is smaller than a molecule."
AND it's a "FACT", so you know it's superdy-safe.Facepalm

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
23-03-2015, 12:57 PM
(23-03-2015 12:49 PM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  According to Homeopathy Fact #17: " There are no molecules in any homoeopathic dilution, because the substances have been reduced to nano-phase, which is smaller than a molecule."
AND it's a "FACT", so you know it's superdy-safe.Facepalm

Yeah, like super-duper safe. The problem is that if the poor dog is suffering from something that can be helped by actual, real medicine and the owner is giving them this homeopathy shit (actually shit has a lot of stuff in it) then they are doing the dog a disservice.

It's animal neglect brought on by stupidity.

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post