Homeopathy mechanism(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2013, 02:06 PM
RE: Homeopathy mechanism(s)
I read these too and decided that since she was actually getting to the point of having bloody areas from chronic plucking, I opted to give it a try. I kind of figured a bacteria entering an open wound was not a good plan.

The directions also state to STOP using when the bird stops plucking completely, which I will do at that time or when the bottle is empty (which will probably happen first). This will certainly not be something she will be on forever...if she doesn't stop soon, I will have to look for another option, quite possibly a collar.

She also doesn't get it every day any more but more like every other day or every third day.

As for sleepydick...Chewy isn't considered to be grazing livestock..haha.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2013, 02:13 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2013 02:16 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-05-2013 02:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I read these too and decided that since she was actually getting to the point of having bloody areas from chronic plucking, I opted to give it a try. I kind of figured a bacteria entering an open wound was not a good plan.

The mechanism of action don't mean dick to the individual. All the individual gives a shit about is the response. Thumbsup

(27-05-2013 02:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  As for sleepydick...Chewy isn't considered to be grazing livestock..haha.

hehehehe ... could help explain Girly's condition though. ... hehehehehe

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
28-05-2013, 05:30 AM
http://www.skepticat.org/2009/03/homeopathy/

There are many peer reviewed journal articles discrediting homeopathic 'medicine'. It doesn't work. The NHS in Britain had a homeopathic hospital in London and as the NHS requires all of its treatments to be evidence-based, they ceased funding for what is essentially snake oil.
[+] 2 users Like Snowyflake's post
28-05-2013, 09:57 AM
As it's unregulated woo, the terminology is anything but consistent... Some people seem to think homeopathy just means 'natural', ie plant extracts or herbal compounds or something. That's silly already, since almost all of our medications were originally sourced from naturally occurring biochemistry anyway; I'll take the aspirin tablet over willow bark tea any day...

But homeopathy doesn't mean that, it refers to the specific practice of treating "like with like" via dilution to the point of insanity. And it is, well, insane.
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
28-05-2013, 09:17 PM
(28-05-2013 09:57 AM)cjlr Wrote:  But homeopathy doesn't mean that, it refers to the specific practice of treating "like with like" via dilution to the point of insanity. And it is, well, insane.

Unfounded feels like a better term. And that's essentially how vaccines work without the whole dilution to the point of absurdity thing.

29-05-2013, 06:48 AM
(28-05-2013 09:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-05-2013 09:57 AM)cjlr Wrote:  But homeopathy doesn't mean that, it refers to the specific practice of treating "like with like" via dilution to the point of insanity. And it is, well, insane.

Unfounded feels like a better term. And that's essentially how vaccines work without the whole dilution to the point of absurdity thing.

No, not really. Vaccines have a known mechanism. The homeopathic "Law of Similars" has no credible mechanism.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-05-2013, 11:45 AM
(28-05-2013 09:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Unfounded feels like a better term. And that's essentially how vaccines work without the whole dilution to the point of absurdity thing.

But, you said it yourself - it's the 'to the point of absurdity' part that's the insane bit!

Let's consider a really shitty analogy. How about weightlifting? Nobody starts off being able to deadlift 100 kilograms (say, airborne major smallpox). So you start with 20kg or something (skin-based minor smallpox). In very broad strokes the immune system works in a similar manner, though this is really a model for inoculation (eg variolation) rather than proper vaccination...

Homeopathy, then, is saying (to dilute the metaphor to the point of absurdity, as it were) that lifting a pair of tiny gram weights would be better training.

(29-05-2013 06:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, not really. Vaccines have a known mechanism. The homeopathic "Law of Similars" has no credible mechanism.

Right. Homeopathy is taking something that probably wouldn't be effective anyway (except by coincidence) and then diluting it so it cannot possibly have any effect at all (regardless of what you started with).

Then charging people money for it.
29-05-2013, 05:35 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2013 05:45 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-05-2013 11:45 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(28-05-2013 09:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Unfounded feels like a better term. And that's essentially how vaccines work without the whole dilution to the point of absurdity thing.

But, you said it yourself - it's the 'to the point of absurdity' part that's the insane bit!

The basic pillars are unfounded and absurd: 1) the law of similars, 2) the potentisation of remedies, and 3) the working of the life force or dynamis. (This article effectively equates it to alchemy.) Personally relying on it to treat an illness would qualify as insane.

I sill contend that vaccines (at least the early ones) could be characterized as prophylactic "like treats like" as they involve an attenuated or dead version of the same or similar micro-organism to introduce an exogenous challenge to the immune system. But it appears as if the concept of "like treats like" has been co-opted by the homeopaths because of Hahnemann's famous phrase 'similia similibus curantur' (like treats like). Nobody I can find except the homeopaths compare it to vaccination probably for that very reason. So I'm just quibbling now. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-05-2013, 10:28 PM
(29-05-2013 05:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-05-2013 11:45 AM)cjlr Wrote:  But, you said it yourself - it's the 'to the point of absurdity' part that's the insane bit!

I sill contend that vaccines (at least the early ones) could be characterized as prophylactic "like treats like" as they involve an attenuated or dead version of the same or similar micro-organism to introduce an exogenous challenge to the immune system. But it appears as if the concept of "like treats like" has been co-opted by the homeopaths because of Hahnemann's famous phrase 'similia similibus curantur' (like treats like). Nobody I can find except the homeopaths compare it to vaccination probably for that very reason. So I'm just quibbling now. Tongue

I see your quibbling and raise you this further pedantry. It would be more accurate to say vaccines are same treating same. And as they're tied to the actual vector, not merely the symptoms, as Hahnemann supposed...

Though, to give the guy credit, Hahnemann was only trying to come up with something better than the late-1700s medicine he'd studied (and saw didn't work, much of the time). It's trivial to prove wrong NOW, sure - but it's not really any more wrong than other theories that were then current.
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
30-05-2013, 12:00 AM
(29-05-2013 10:28 PM)cjlr Wrote:  It would be more accurate to say vaccines are same treating same.

The fuck?!? Same goddam thing.

(29-05-2013 10:28 PM)cjlr Wrote:  And as they're tied to the actual vector, not merely the symptoms, as Hahnemann supposed...

Aye, there's the rub.