Homeopathy officially debunked: what took so long ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2014, 12:03 PM
RE: Homeopathy officially debunked: what took so long ?
Facepalm I believe I have ruined my chances of having real conversations ever in this forum.
Lol oh well. I doesn't bother me, but I just wanted to point out that I didn't derail this thread. Sporey derailed his own thread and I take no responsibility for any of it Tongue

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
08-04-2014, 12:03 PM
About time. Let's hope that other countries follow suit. Treating serious illnesses with what amounts to be a bottle of distilled water can be dangerous.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 3 users Like Marozz's post
08-04-2014, 12:10 PM
(08-04-2014 12:03 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Facepalm I believe I have ruined my chances of having real conversations ever in this forum.
Lol oh well. I doesn't bother me, but I just wanted to point out that I didn't derail this thread. Sporey derailed his own thread and I take no responsibility for any of it Tongue

I have mixed feelings about participating in this.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
08-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Losty, Richard Dawkins explains it in a condensed version in this video. There is a docu. that he does, that goes into more detail.

This should get you started tho.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 3 users Like War Horse's post
08-04-2014, 12:54 PM
(08-04-2014 12:28 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Losty, Richard Dawkins explains it in a condensed version in this video. There is a docu. that he does, that goes into more detail.

This should get you started tho.

Thanks Smile

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
08-04-2014, 01:39 PM
My issue with this stuff has always been that they package it (at least here in SA) very like normal medicine, and although it's labelled you have to be alert. Nearly bought homeopathic flu medicine once. R50 for sugar water? No thanks.

And there's *so much* of it. Pharmacies here are filled with it. See, it *is* just sugar water so it's perfectly legal to sell as remedies for every ill under the sun. It's feckin' disgusting Angry Hopefully this'll start a trend and that hive of scum and villainy that is the homeopathic 'medicine' industry can be shut down.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
08-04-2014, 01:45 PM
(08-04-2014 01:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  My issue with this stuff has always been that they package it (at least here in SA) very like normal medicine, and although it's labelled you have to be alert. Nearly bought homeopathic flu medicine once. R50 for sugar water? No thanks.

And there's *so much* of it. Pharmacies here are filled with it. See, it *is* just sugar water so it's perfectly legal to sell as remedies for every ill under the sun. It's feckin' disgusting Angry Hopefully this'll start a trend and that hive of scum and villainy that is the homeopathic 'medicine' industry can be shut down.

This. I honestly wonder why its taken so long though.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Blackhand293's post
08-04-2014, 02:12 PM
I've always wondered whether you could set up a company to sell the same stuff without even having to go through the whole dilution and shaking routine. Sell it for cheaper than all the other homoeopathic manufacturers and plainly list the ingredients for what it is (sugar and water). On the front of the packaging have a picture off a flower or whatever is supposed to be diluted from but without making any other claims.

It would make an excellent test case! Would your competitors want to sue you? If they do then it could ruin the entire industry yet if they don't then you'll be taking away their sales. Would there be a case against you from the regulators when you can claim it is only a placebo anyway so it doesn't matter how you produced it?
[+] 5 users Like Mathilda's post
08-04-2014, 02:16 PM
As a friend just said, I can't believe homeopathy needs studies in order to be dismissed.

(08-04-2014 01:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  My issue with this stuff has always been that they package it (at least here in SA) very like normal medicine, and although it's labelled you have to be alert. Nearly bought homeopathic flu medicine once. R50 for sugar water? No thanks.

Whenever I see a sign outside a pharmacy saying they also sell homeopathic drugs, I feel the urge to go in, ask them what they've studied in university, if they know what homeopathy is and why they don't feel ashamed for selling that stuff.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 5 users Like undergroundp's post
08-04-2014, 03:50 PM
(08-04-2014 11:32 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 11:26 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I am all for science and medicine, but I wonder if the sugar pill works...why not let them use it?
I have a little song I sing to my son when his legs hurt. I figure so long as it "works" I may as well keep his liver fresh as long as possible. Smile

Because it keeps them from seeking treatments that actually work. If your son broke his leg would you want to sing your song or actually get help? Add to that they are parasitic and prey on peoples fears.

Plus it doesn't actually work at all anyway.

... unless you are using it to treat dehydration...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post