Homeopathy officially debunked: what took so long ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2014, 10:41 PM
RE: Homeopathy officially debunked: what took so long ?
(08-04-2014 10:24 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 10:05 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Before they even get onto whether or not homeopathy works lets examine the claim that water has memory and can remember whatever 'active ingredient' it has come into contact with. I think that part is actually even more laughable than the idea that diluted onion juice can cure conjunctivitis (or whatever they claim cures what).

Remember that in homeopathy it isn't a greatly diluted active ingredient. It's water that was once in contact with an active ingredient and now remembers it.

Ugh, I literally feel myself getting dumber whenever I so much as think about this shit.

just imagine where the water has been.... In shit? In urine? Full with bacteria? In a plastic bottle? I don't want water that remembers and has the properties of these things

Sounds like a great business opportunity.
water memory erasure filters, make them wear out quick for fast consumable turn over.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
08-04-2014, 10:56 PM
(08-04-2014 10:17 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 11:26 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I am all for science and medicine, but I wonder if the sugar pill works...why not let them use it?
I have a little song I sing to my son when his legs hurt. I figure so long as it "works" I may as well keep his liver fresh as long as possible. Smile

But the sugar pill, doesn't always contain sugar. There are some homeopathic meds that can do harm.

Yes, I will just apologize again for commenting. I know nothing of any of this. I am here now reading up and trying to get educated on it. Smile

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
09-04-2014, 04:53 AM
Homeopathy (and every other junk enterprise) survives because hope never dies, and science can't produce every cure by next Thursday. Some cures will take longer than the afflicted have left to live; junk promises the cure not next Thursday but today.

I doubt even the steady eradication of ignorance will erase junk. When the doctor tells you to order your own coffin before Wednesday and your body feels like making it to Tuesday is iffy, junk becomes a "nothing to lose" venture.

I don't espouse junk even in that situation, and if junk could be effectively vanquished by law and social pressure I think we'd be much better off. But hope doesn't die, and where hope is the only thing left surviving, junk thrives.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
09-04-2014, 05:42 AM
(08-04-2014 12:28 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Losty, Richard Dawkins explains it in a condensed version in this video. There is a docu. that he does, that goes into more detail.

This should get you started tho.

That's some tasty Oliver Cromwell... Wink

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
09-04-2014, 06:46 AM
(09-04-2014 05:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 12:28 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Losty, Richard Dawkins explains it in a condensed version in this video. There is a docu. that he does, that goes into more detail.

This should get you started tho.

That's some tasty Oliver Cromwell... Wink

Huh

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
09-04-2014, 04:23 PM
(08-04-2014 11:22 AM)sporehux Wrote:  But the real question is why did this take so long, and what are other countries doing to get rid of an industry putting lives at risk promoting false cures ? or is australia not the first to stomp on this particular woo.
You know the real question is why would anyone with a single functioning neuron even give a shit about something which is not scientifically verified to goddamn work.

I still don't know how in the bloody hell these fraud companies even get the licencing from the govt to openly scam people like this.

Why the hell does govt let scammers sell bullshit to sick people? its really sad and i didn't know that these things even existed in developed countries.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
09-04-2014, 10:52 PM
(09-04-2014 04:23 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 11:22 AM)sporehux Wrote:  But the real question is why did this take so long, and what are other countries doing to get rid of an industry putting lives at risk promoting false cures ? or is australia not the first to stomp on this particular woo.
You know the real question is why would anyone with a single functioning neuron even give a shit about something which is not scientifically verified to goddamn work.

I still don't know how in the bloody hell these fraud companies even get the licencing from the govt to openly scam people like this.

Why the hell does govt let scammers sell bullshit to sick people? its really sad and i didn't know that these things even existed in developed countries.

Most governments sanction belief in the unproveable as an inalliable right, freedom of woo (religion). Opens the nonsense flood gates.
Homeopathy is one of the few woo's that can be tested for effectiveness, although I don't expect the mall shops to close any time soon when people have convinced them selves and those around them that it works and they are special for knowing it does

10-04-2014, 04:39 PM
(09-04-2014 10:52 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Homeopathy is one of the few woo's that can be tested for effectiveness, although I don't expect the mall shops to close any time soon when people have convinced them selves and those around them that it works and they are special for knowing it does
I still don't know why on earth anyone would prefer to buy medicine which not tested,peer reviewed and guaranteed to work.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
10-04-2014, 05:40 PM
(10-04-2014 04:39 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 10:52 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Homeopathy is one of the few woo's that can be tested for effectiveness, although I don't expect the mall shops to close any time soon when people have convinced them selves and those around them that it works and they are special for knowing it does
I still don't know why on earth anyone would prefer to buy medicine which not tested,peer reviewed and guaranteed to work.

its the "I feel special" secret knowledge issue,

i'm always deleting lots of ramblings, may as well strike them instead.
If some one picks up a red coloured rock while walking and then feel invigorated after the walk, they may assign the red rock as responsible, this secret or special knowledge is then enthusiastically passed along, and others feeling part of the special knowledge club will pass it on as fact even if they haven't got around to procuring their own red rock yet.

then its the emperors new clothes syndrome and exaggerations.

[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
17-04-2014, 02:39 AM
(09-04-2014 06:46 AM)War Horse Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 05:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That's some tasty Oliver Cromwell... Wink

Huh

Did you not watch the video? It's estimated that we've all drank at least one molecule of water that has traveled through the bladder of Oliver Cromwell...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]