Homeopathy officially debunked: what took so long ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2014, 05:13 AM
RE: Homeopathy officially debunked: what took so long ?
(17-04-2014 02:39 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 06:46 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Huh

Did you not watch the video? It's estimated that we've all drank at least one molecule of water that has traveled through the bladder of Oliver Cromwell...

Imagine all the other bladders said molecule has travelled through let alone Olie's. ShockingGasp

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post
28-08-2015, 09:56 AM
Woman loses legal bid to force Scottish National Health Service to provide homeopathic medicine.

http://news.stv.tv/east-central/1327620-...omeopathy/Cool

About time too. The woman in question will suffer no hardship, she can just use water instead.
[+] 3 users Like Silly Deity's post
28-08-2015, 03:36 PM
(28-08-2015 09:56 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  Woman loses legal bid to force Scottish National Health Service to provide homeopathic medicine.

http://news.stv.tv/east-central/1327620-...omeopathy/Cool

About time too. The woman in question will suffer no hardship, she can just use water instead.

Only if you call it "magic water" and charge her a shitload for it.

#sigh
28-08-2015, 03:47 PM
Homeopathic medicine is just like religion.

Go ahead and use it if you like, but don't expect sensible people to buy into it.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
28-08-2015, 05:14 PM
(08-04-2014 11:22 AM)sporehux Wrote:  The homoeopathy association must have lobbied the wrong candidate as the
Official government medical research centre in Australia has debunked homoeopathy as no better then a placebo https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/

http://australia.isidewith.com/news/arti...search-cou
"There is no reliable evidence that homeopathy can treat health conditions, a major review of the practice by the National Health and Medical Research Council has concluded."

A recent industry report showed annual revenue from the sale of complementary medicines (CM) products and therapies totalled $3.55 billion."
The NHMRC Draft Information Paper on the Evidence on Homeopathy, also released today, is a summary of rigorous assessment of available research examining the effectiveness of homeopathy for treating 68 health conditions, the results of which are published in an overview report.
On assessment of the current evidence, it found ‘there is no reliable evidence that homeopathy is effective for treating health conditions.’

68 Medical conditions tested, which homoeopathy remedies are claimed and debunked.

But the real question is why did this take so long, and what are other countries doing to get rid of an industry putting lives at risk promoting false cures ? or is australia not the first to stomp on this particular woo.

oh cool! I actually did a 10 page report on this for my English Comp II final. It would had received an A but I accidentally forgot to leave my citation in a paragraph or two which sucked because I was certain I didn't..plus it was peer reviewed by like 5 people so I am also now convinced that peer review does not work since 5 others didn't catch that as well.

Although my paper convinced the professor that Homeopathy is bull lol. Now, America just needs to follow in pursuit as well as india and we will be good.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
28-08-2015, 05:33 PM
@online biker.

Yeah, it is a lot like religion. I like to look at it as if it were Faith healing 2.0 with some pseudoscience to make people think its valid.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
29-08-2015, 02:04 AM
(08-04-2014 11:22 AM)sporehux Wrote:  But the real question is why did this take so long

It's one thing knowing that something isn't true but it's another proving it unambiguously. The latter takes far more work and this also means that it requires a lot of money. Money that could possibly be better spent elsewhere.

On the other hand if there is a multi-billion pound industry devoted to creating placebos and people are using alternative medicine instead of real medicine, then although the study doesn't advance science, it does stop money being wasted and help save lives.

Saving lives is a no brainer. But thinking in terms of the money being spent, if all you want is a placebo then it can be created far more efficiently without having to literally flush expensive ingredients down the drain. Money equals oil in our current economy. Oil is a finite non-renewable resource. Society grows as much as the energy available allows it to, so if people and companies stop wasting so much money, that non renewable resource could be better spent on something more useful.

But you have to go against vested interests which means your research must be extensive and conclusive and able to convince the powers that be. That takes time and money.
29-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Maybe I missed something in science class, but in history class we were thought that homeopathy was dismissed by modern medicine as quackery since 1890. That news comes a 100 years too late in my opinion.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
29-08-2015, 09:27 PM
(29-08-2015 06:20 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Maybe I missed something in science class, but in history class we were thought that homeopathy was dismissed by modern medicine as quackery since 1890. That news comes a 100 years too late in my opinion.

Yup, but not dismissed by the people who *sell* that crap, including pharmacies. Charlatanism is big business. See: religion.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
30-08-2015, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2015 01:28 PM by jockmcdock.)
(08-04-2014 10:05 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Remember that in homeopathy it isn't a greatly diluted active ingredient. It's water that was once in contact with an active ingredient and now remembers it.

Actually, I'd argue that even that argument is bullshit. When you start the dilution process, you start off with an "active" ingredient. You dilute by adding water. That water also comes into contact with the active ingredient, albeit in much smaller concentrations. But if you keep diluting the solution, you soon end up with no active ingredient. So, the argument "water that has been in contact with the active ingredient" is nonsense. And if you keep going, you get to the stage where you have to talk about "water that comes into contact with water that has been in contact with water that has been in contact with water that has been in contact...with the active ingredient".