Homeschoolers expected rapture and stopped teaching kids

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2014, 03:29 PM
RE: Homeschoolers expected rapture and stopped teaching kids
A friend on Facebook was lamenting that they missed Texas' hands off approach in homeschooling. (It's nice to know they, state or texas, does care a little.)

In Alabama where they live now, they're required to join an "umbrella" school that's always affiliated with a church (not a problem for them), to make sure their kids are learning as they should be.

Now my shock registered that these umbrella schools are always connected to churches...no secular ones.

She blithely explained if parents want secular they can send their kid's to public schools.

So if you're atheist and actually want to homeschool for whatever reason you're shit outta luck.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-08-2014, 03:29 PM
(12-08-2014 02:32 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 02:25 PM)morondog Wrote:  No. Nonononononono. There's nothing to say they were being abused. Break up the family for something like this? Fuck that... Oh wait, I see, I think... you meant time to send them to school Smile

Sorry for overreacting Blush

Lol.

Denying kids an education, in my opinion, is abuse. Especially denying it to them because mommy and daddy are nuts.

I'm not sure if it is counted under abuse-related legislation, but down here, I believe that (unfortunately finding specific stuff n this is a pain and I'm lazy) parents actually do face repercussions when it comes to such matters; school is compulsory. If you don't want your kids to go to school, that's fine, so long as the state considers you able to give your kid a viable education.
If no to both, well have fun with your fines'n progressively severe shit.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
12-08-2014, 03:34 PM
(12-08-2014 02:57 PM)kim Wrote:  Facepalm
How embarrassing would it be .... to ask someone for "a note" that says you are stupid... because your parents were insane while you were growing up? Will this somehow make you a secure citizen because you can carry this note with you for the rest of your life?
WTF?

If these people are allowed to be exempt then, they shouldn't be allowed to leave their state. Angel

It makes no sense...I wonder if those parents stopped paying their rent/mortgage or other bills? Consider

I know one person during the Harold Camping thing that began charging a bunch of crap on her credit card and just recently filed for bankruptcy. Facepalm

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

12-08-2014, 03:40 PM
[Image: 2vn0zv8.jpg]

[Image: 1zoewl1.gif]

[Image: oozvvm.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
12-08-2014, 03:44 PM
(12-08-2014 08:56 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Actually, I do think that world would be a better place with more music and singing.

More singing, less being sucked into the sky.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
12-08-2014, 04:30 PM
(12-08-2014 03:44 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 08:56 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Actually, I do think that world would be a better place with more music and singing.

More singing, less being sucked into the sky.

'Cos that would suck!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-08-2014, 04:41 PM
(12-08-2014 04:30 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 03:44 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  More singing, less being sucked into the sky.

'Cos that would suck!

Not for them lol it'd be a dream come true.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
12-08-2014, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 10:53 PM by CleverUsername.)
It creeps me out to think about living with this level of complete delusion, being so absolutely one hundred percent sure this thing's going to happen you functionally stop living cause why bother? I keep trying to wrap my head around that, seeing it as something as normal and guaranteed as going out for dinner.

It's like adults with the world view of a child, except worse since most children don't refuse to eat their veggies because they think Mickey Mouse is gonna come take them to live forever in Cinderella's castle.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
12-08-2014, 11:04 PM
(12-08-2014 03:29 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  A friend on Facebook was lamenting that they missed Texas' hands off approach in homeschooling. (It's nice to know they, state or texas, does care a little.)

In Alabama where they live now, they're required to join an "umbrella" school that's always affiliated with a church (not a problem for them), to make sure their kids are learning as they should be.

Now my shock registered that these umbrella schools are always connected to churches...no secular ones.

She blithely explained if parents want secular they can send their kid's to public schools.

So if you're atheist and actually want to homeschool for whatever reason you're shit outta luck.

That's an interesting point. I wonder if there are any secular homeschoolers out there and how they deal with the church business.
I have good feelings toward homeschooling because I was homeschooled for five years when I was a kid. I know people go overboard with the religious education part, and I was homeschooled at the peak of my family's religiosity, but I think homeschooling can be done well. I think for me it was, despite the religion part.
It was a really great experience for me to be able to guide my own learning (within the curriculum, but a lot more flexibility than public schools) and be involved in teaching my younger siblings.
I don't have kids, nor do I especially want them, but if I had any, I might want to consider homeschooling them. I think having the option of a secular curriculum would be nice.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
13-08-2014, 05:29 AM
Quote:District attendance officer Mark Mendoza later confirmed that one of the daughters, Tori, had run away from home to “attend school,” and was enrolled at Coronado High School.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post