Homeschooling/Brainwashing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Homeschooling/Brainwashing
This likely going to be just a vent, but feel free to add to the discussion Smile

When you have kids, you become privy to the many ways said children can be educated. And you realize you have friends and/or acquaintances who are hardcore fundies. The ones who think public school is too 'scary' in its secular ways (raise free-thinking children?? The HORROR).

I genuinely do not understand how these homeschoolers are not investigated for brainwashing their kids.

Here are some gems from a curriculum I know a few people use with their kids (and is quite popular with the fundie community):

"In Classical Conversations, young students prepare for these big conversations by learning the facts of history, math, Latin, geography, science, and English grammar. These academic subjects in and of themselves are not Christian subjects. However, the simple act of discussing how these facts point to a Creator can lay the foundation for a biblical worldview. With young children, this can be as simple as reminding them that 13 x 2 always equals 26 precisely because God created an orderly universe that is governed by certain rules. Seeing tiny Israel on a map can lead us into a conversation about God’s amazing plans for mankind. When children study the human digestive system, they can discuss how they are fearfully and wonderfully made."

" In Classical Conversations, we seek to recover that understanding of theology as we train students to seek God in all areas of study, from chemistry, history, literature, and philosophy to the fine arts. Older students will study logic to form careful arguments grounded in a biblical worldview, and they will practice rhetoric regularly in order to deliver those arguments persuasively. "

Again HOW IS THIS NOT BRAINWASHING?

Never mind the fact that the same people tend to have SO many children. I imagine they feel they are populating the world with their own little army of God's children. gag....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2016, 07:14 PM
RE: Homeschooling/Brainwashing
It's brainwashing. There are some who homeschool (and hire pros to help) because they want an intellectually superior education for their kids. But the great majority is probably the religious.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
13-09-2016, 07:25 PM
There was actually a great two parter on the Podcast about homeschooling cults that this post reminds me of!

(13-09-2016 07:14 PM)Dom Wrote:  It's brainwashing. There are some who homeschool (and hire pros to help) because they want an intellectually superior education for their kids. But the great majority is probably the religious.

Personal anecdote here, but every homeschool family I know (almost double digits) does so for primarily religious reasons. A few also claim intellectually superior education for their kids, and then use the crap from Abekah or Bob Jones University Press. Because remember kids, no one knows how electricity works, the bee is God's gift to the farmer, and the Earth is thousands of years old! (Sorry for the sarcasm there. x.x I'm reading a book on homeschooling right now and how in some homeschool groups, the idea is that if a woman can read and do basic math, that's all she needs to know. ) One homeschooler I know didn't finish "high school" education until 21.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-09-2016, 07:29 PM
(13-09-2016 07:25 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  There was actually a great two parter on the Podcast about homeschooling cults that this post reminds me of!

(13-09-2016 07:14 PM)Dom Wrote:  It's brainwashing. There are some who homeschool (and hire pros to help) because they want an intellectually superior education for their kids. But the great majority is probably the religious.

Personal anecdote here, but every homeschool family I know (almost double digits) does so for primarily religious reasons. A few also claim intellectually superior education for their kids, and then use the crap from Abekah or Bob Jones University Press. Because remember kids, no one knows how electricity works, the bee is God's gift to the farmer, and the Earth is thousands of years old! (Sorry for the sarcasm there. x.x I'm reading a book on homeschooling right now and how in some homeschool groups, the idea is that if a woman can read and do basic math, that's all she needs to know. ) One homeschooler I know didn't finish "high school" education until 21.

Back in the early 80s I ran an agency for private teachers. Clients were firms wanting to educate employees and parents wanting better education for their kids.

This was a progressive metropolitan area though.

In the rural area I live in now, it's all religious.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-09-2016, 07:45 PM
And the cycle will only continue. They will have 4+ children and indoctrinate them from a young age. Scary.
13-09-2016, 07:45 PM
I am in favor of the right to homeschooling and also the right to do it from a fundie perspective as long as the kids can demonstrate they are meeting minimum education standards. I'm assuming they take the GED to demonstrate their achievement.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-09-2016, 07:50 PM
(13-09-2016 07:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(13-09-2016 07:25 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  There was actually a great two parter on the Podcast about homeschooling cults that this post reminds me of!

Back in the early 80s I ran an agency for private teachers. Clients were firms wanting to educate employees and parents wanting better education for their kids.

This was a progressive metropolitan area though.

In the rural area I live in now, it's all religious.

Oh that sounds fascinating! And yeah, I've lived in primarily rural areas until now, populations of under 50,000. So it's probably unsurprising that my encounters were religious.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-09-2016, 07:51 PM
I haven't paid much attention to it, but I think locally kids can now go to online school, for free and with full credit, and have a teacher interact with them.

13-09-2016, 08:34 PM
It is brainwashing. And it's perfectly legal to brainwash kids.

I honestly do t think there is any way of preventing it. People have a right to believe anything they want, and parents are expected to teach their kids values of right and wrong. And while I might not agree with what they teach I have no right to strip them of their parental responsibility because I disagree with their values.
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
13-09-2016, 09:08 PM
My brother has 3 teenage daughters who have been going to church, bible study about 2-3 times a week since they were about 10 years old.

He tells me he's worried about his 14 yr old who is talking to an 18 yr old boy. He tells me that he's worried because his daughter is very gullible and will believe anything the boy says, convincing her to have sex with him.

I really wanted to say "You've brainwashed her into being gullible with all this religious crap 3 times a week and now you're seeing the effects. Congratulations, you have a religious daughter who believes what she's told and doesn't question if it's true or not."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 5 users Like Rahn127's post