Homeschooling/Brainwashing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2016, 09:14 PM
RE: Homeschooling/Brainwashing
We had neighbors two doors down in SC who homeschooled. The mother made it clear that anyone who sent their children to public schools were evil. Even the Pentecostal family across the street from them were considered to be off the list of potential playmates because the kids weren't homeschooled.

I cannot vouch for how well the kids were trained academically but these kids were very limited in social interaction other than with each other. Since the mother and father both worked they were usually home alone so I am not sure how much instruction could have happened.

When the oldest daughter went off to college she almost immediately became pregnant...I am sure she had never even been on a date previously. It was after that when the truth came out that the father actually had an older son who was conceived out of wedlock. He had turned his back on the boy so that he could present the façade of being a virtuous Christian man.

Pretty sure those kids learned nothing but lies and deceit. And the younger son was a monster when he was able to sneak off and play with other kids...I expect to one day see him on a true crime show.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2016, 07:28 AM
I am all for live and let live unless it comes to children. They don't have a say, or any way to escape. And when you look at families like the Duggars (as an example), they clearly don't allow the female children any chance at making their own way in life. They are taught to rely on men to do the thinking for them, they are discouraged from higher education, and so really their only choice is to marry young and become an incubator for the rest of their lives. Both the males and females are sexually repressed, taught to dislike/hate homosexuals, boxed into VERY strict gender roles, and unable to think for themselves.

I just find it all so upsetting.
14-09-2016, 07:47 AM
(13-09-2016 06:52 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  This likely going to be just a vent, but feel free to add to the discussion Smile

When you have kids, you become privy to the many ways said children can be educated. And you realize you have friends and/or acquaintances who are hardcore fundies. The ones who think public school is too 'scary' in its secular ways (raise free-thinking children?? The HORROR).

I genuinely do not understand how these homeschoolers are not investigated for brainwashing their kids.

Here are some gems from a curriculum I know a few people use with their kids (and is quite popular with the fundie community):

"In Classical Conversations, young students prepare for these big conversations by learning the facts of history, math, Latin, geography, science, and English grammar. These academic subjects in and of themselves are not Christian subjects. However, the simple act of discussing how these facts point to a Creator can lay the foundation for a biblical worldview. With young children, this can be as simple as reminding them that 13 x 2 always equals 26 precisely because God created an orderly universe that is governed by certain rules. Seeing tiny Israel on a map can lead us into a conversation about God’s amazing plans for mankind. When children study the human digestive system, they can discuss how they are fearfully and wonderfully made."

" In Classical Conversations, we seek to recover that understanding of theology as we train students to seek God in all areas of study, from chemistry, history, literature, and philosophy to the fine arts. Older students will study logic to form careful arguments grounded in a biblical worldview, and they will practice rhetoric regularly in order to deliver those arguments persuasively. "

Again HOW IS THIS NOT BRAINWASHING?

Never mind the fact that the same people tend to have SO many children. I imagine they feel they are populating the world with their own little army of God's children. gag....

If your parents aren't brainwashing you, somebody else will. If it isn't the tree-huggers, the safe space/micro-aggression liberals, it's trump-supporters. If it isn't those that care about you, it's those who don't have your best interest in mind.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
14-09-2016, 08:30 AM
(13-09-2016 06:52 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  ...

It's not washing. It's dyeing.

I come here to TTA to have my brain washed.

I let it soak for an hour or more in the foam of intelligent conversation, irony and witticisms to cleanse it of all the pseudo-nonsense that it has been exposed to during the day.

Brainwashing would be akin to tidying up your hard drive. What these homeschoolers are doing is programming... adding crap, not removing it.

(13-09-2016 07:45 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  ... and indoctrinate them ...

Yes. It's that.

Thumbsup

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
14-09-2016, 08:54 AM
(14-09-2016 07:47 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-09-2016 06:52 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  This likely going to be just a vent, but feel free to add to the discussion Smile

When you have kids, you become privy to the many ways said children can be educated. And you realize you have friends and/or acquaintances who are hardcore fundies. The ones who think public school is too 'scary' in its secular ways (raise free-thinking children?? The HORROR).

I genuinely do not understand how these homeschoolers are not investigated for brainwashing their kids.

Here are some gems from a curriculum I know a few people use with their kids (and is quite popular with the fundie community):

"In Classical Conversations, young students prepare for these big conversations by learning the facts of history, math, Latin, geography, science, and English grammar. These academic subjects in and of themselves are not Christian subjects. However, the simple act of discussing how these facts point to a Creator can lay the foundation for a biblical worldview. With young children, this can be as simple as reminding them that 13 x 2 always equals 26 precisely because God created an orderly universe that is governed by certain rules. Seeing tiny Israel on a map can lead us into a conversation about God’s amazing plans for mankind. When children study the human digestive system, they can discuss how they are fearfully and wonderfully made."

" In Classical Conversations, we seek to recover that understanding of theology as we train students to seek God in all areas of study, from chemistry, history, literature, and philosophy to the fine arts. Older students will study logic to form careful arguments grounded in a biblical worldview, and they will practice rhetoric regularly in order to deliver those arguments persuasively. "

Never mind the fact that the same people tend to have SO many children. I imagine they feel they are populating the world with their own little army of God's children. gag....

If your parents aren't brainwashing you, somebody else will. If it isn't the tree-huggers, the safe space/micro-aggression liberals, it's trump-supporters. If it isn't those that care about you, it's those who don't have your best interest in mind.

No. I was brought up by free thinkers. I was allowed to read any book I wanted, there were no restrictions. NONE. I read my older brothers Playboys when I was 10 and my mother didn't care. I was allowed to think however I wanted. I WAS taught to be curious about everything. To ask questions...who, what, when, where, why. As an adult I still do this.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
14-09-2016, 09:18 AM
(14-09-2016 08:54 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ...
I read my older brothers Playboys when I was 10 and my mother didn't care.
As an adult I still do this.

Surely they're old enough to 'read' it themselves, now?

Huh

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
14-09-2016, 09:18 AM
Is there a realistic way to go about fixing this? Yes, this type of indoctrination is horrid. But what are you going to do? Forbid homeschooling? What about those secular homeschoolers or those who do so for special needs kids? That's not the best option.

We have a large society. And blanket solutions don't work for everyone. This just might be a cost we have to accept.
14-09-2016, 09:25 AM
(14-09-2016 09:18 AM)natachan Wrote:  Is there a realistic way to go about fixing this? Yes, this type of indoctrination is horrid. But what are you going to do? Forbid homeschooling? What about those secular homeschoolers or those who do so for special needs kids? That's not the best option.

We have a large society. And blanket solutions don't work for everyone. This just might be a cost we have to accept.

I have no issue with homeschooling. I do have issue with using the guise of homeschooling to fully indoctrinate your child from a very young age. We have a system to remove children from abusive households, and I find the Duggar-Style child rearing to be quite abusive.

Sadly, I don't think there is anything that can be done. I suppose even non-homeschoolers can indoctrinate their children with hate. My youngest goes to public school and has had a child in her class (age 7) tell her gay marriage is wrong and God doesn't like it. Huh

Like I said, this was more of a vent than anything. Not a call for a solution, since there really isn't one. Free country and all that...
14-09-2016, 09:36 AM
(14-09-2016 09:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 08:54 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ...
I read my older brothers Playboys when I was 10 and my mother didn't care.
As an adult I still do this.

Surely they're old enough to 'read' it themselves, now?

Huh

Laugh out load

Those damned apostrophes ... they just want to fuck it up for everyone!! Shy
14-09-2016, 10:12 AM
(14-09-2016 08:54 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  No. I was brought up by free thinkers. I was allowed to read any book I wanted, there were no restrictions. NONE. I read my older brothers Playboys when I was 10 and my mother didn't care. I was allowed to think however I wanted. I WAS taught to be curious about everything. To ask questions...who, what, when, where, why. As an adult I still do this.

You don't get to be a free thinker in a physicalist universe. Your thoughts are not free, they're dictated by variety of physical forces acting upon the neurochemistry of your brain. The concept of a free-thinker should die as quickly as the concept of free-will here, by the same sword.

You don't get to think however you want, you're coerced to think by whatever physical forces act upon your physical brain.

There's likely some feeling, some sensation you associate with "free thinking", beliefs and views that correspond to this feeling, that through whatever influences incite the reward center of your brain, by holding those beliefs, by labeling yourself a "free-thinker", the same way others feel good when labeling themselves a "patriot", or an "American". You're just brainwashed here as well, just towards different catch phrases, and feelings.

I give my dog treats for exhibiting certain behaviors, so that his brain connects the rewarding feeling with that behavior, same way external forces offered you treats for holding certain views that often goes with those that label themselves free-thinkers.

It's may not have been your parents, or scientology that brainwashed you, just those folks who like to call themselves free-thinkers.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."