Homophobia is the deathnell of Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Homophobia is the deathnell of Christianity
As long as Christianity holds onto an anti-homosexual stance, Christianity will continue to lose favour with society.

With homosexuality becoming more and more ingrained as a normal part of society, lets face it, many movies, or tv shows, or famous musicians have associations with homosexuality. Many of us have friends or associates who are gay, it would be extremely difficult to avoid them.
They are normal people (well, some of them), they are a part of our society, most people these days simply mind their own business.

But with church groups actively fighting against gay marriage, gay adoption, looking to "cure" gay people, society are seeing the hate side of religion and are being turned off by it.
Christianity needs to get Gay or get gone.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
15-04-2012, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2012 08:31 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Homophobia is the deathnell of Christianity
(15-04-2012 07:21 PM)Stevil Wrote:  As long as Christianity holds onto an anti-homosexual stance, Christianity will continue to lose favour with society.

With homosexuality becoming more and more ingrained as a normal part of society, lets face it, many movies, or tv shows, or famous musicians have associations with homosexuality. Many of us have friends or associates who are gay, it would be extremely difficult to avoid them.
They are normal people (well, some of them), they are a part of our society, most people these days simply mind their own business.

But with church groups actively fighting against gay marriage, gay adoption, looking to "cure" gay people, society are seeing the hate side of religion and are being turned off by it.

Many of the mainline denominations have officially accepted gay people into their congregations, and clergy.. the Lutherans, Episcopalians, (in the US anyway), the Presbyterians, the Methodists. The ones that haven't probably won't, unless they can figure out a way to dance their way around their fundamental (fundie), philosophical positions, without destroying their theologies. For example, the Roman Church is committed to the Thomistic/Socratic/Platonic position of "Natural Law". They simply can't abandon that, at this point. They are painted into a corner. Science has proven that same sex activity occurs in every species on the planet, (insects, fish, mammals, birds, etc., etc.), thus proving it actually is as "natural" as breathing. As it becomes more and more accepted in society, (and it has taken giant leaps in the last 50 years), they will be seen as anachronistic, I suppose. The fundie Protestants are in the same position. Pull out one card from the House of Cards, and the whole thing comes crashing down. I can't see how they can get around it.

Pat Robertson said today demonic posession is the cause, as well as statues of Buddah in your house will cause marital difficulties. Idiot.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-04-2012, 09:14 PM
(15-04-2012 08:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Many of the mainline denominations have officially accepted gay people into their congregations, and clergy.. the Lutherans, Episcopalians, (in the US anyway), the Presbyterians, the Methodists. The ones that haven't probably won't, unless they can figure out a way to dance their way around their fundamental (fundie), philosophical positions, without destroying their theologies. For example, the Roman Church is committed to the Thomistic/Socratic/Platonic position of "Natural Law". They simply can't abandon that, at this point. They are painted into a corner. Science has proven that same sex activity occurs in every species on the planet, (insects, fish, mammals, birds, etc., etc.), thus proving it actually is as "natural" as breathing. As it becomes more and more accepted in society, (and it has taken giant leaps in the last 50 years), they will be seen as anachronistic, I suppose. The fundie Protestants are in the same position. Pull out one card from the House of Cards, and the whole thing comes crashing down. I can't see how they can get around it.

Pat Robertson said today demonic posession is the cause, as well as statues of Buddah in your house will cause marital difficulties. Idiot.
Ahh, I didn't realise that some of them are accepting, I've spent some time in a catholic forum, and also heare lots about Christian based anti-gay movements. How do the non anti-gay ones get around Sodom and Gomorrah type stories in their scripture?
But then again they don't go around trying to legislate against work on Sunday, or trying to criminalise adultery either.

The Catholic church teach their sheep that the church is divinely guided on certain things hence infallible. If they are proven wrong then they will fall down like a stack of cards (theoretically, although I am not sure how many of their followers actually believe their church is infallible). I have been "assured" that if they let woman become priests then their stack of cards collapses. LOL

But this gay thing must be taking its toll on the Catholic church at least. Society is becoming less tolerant of this discrimination.
15-04-2012, 10:30 PM

(15-04-2012 09:14 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Ahh, I didn't realise that some of them are accepting, I've spent some time in a catholic forum, and also heare lots about Christian based anti-gay movements. How do the non anti-gay ones get around Sodom and Gomorrah type stories in their scripture?
But then again they don't go around trying to legislate against work on Sunday, or trying to criminalise adultery either.

The Catholic church teach their sheep that the church is divinely guided on certain things hence infallible. If they are proven wrong then they will fall down like a stack of cards (theoretically, although I am not sure how many of their followers actually believe their church is infallible). I have been "assured" that if they let woman become priests then their stack of cards collapses. LOL

But this gay thing must be taking its toll on the Catholic church at least. Society is becoming less tolerant of this discrimination.

You are correct. Because even if the Christian Chruch comes to accept homosexuality on a regular basis, they will still have lost their credibility regarding their ability to know the truth. If it was wrong before, how can it be okay now?

Jesus doesn't talk about homosexuality, so I don't take a stance on it at all. I am neither sympathetic nor discriminatory. I simply don't care about sexual orientation.
Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Watching the Documentary: For The Bible Tells Me So was one deconversion mile markers on my journey toward shedding the delusions of make-believe-faith. Christian parents and churches have done HORRIBLE things to their gay children, but many are beginning to see the light when they realize they love their children too much to condemn them like good old Paul would have then do. Fuckin pervert, that Paul.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
15-04-2012, 11:12 PM
(15-04-2012 07:21 PM)Stevil Wrote:  As long as Christianity holds onto an anti-homosexual stance, Christianity will continue to lose favour with society.

I personally don't see this issue as being the proverbial stake through the heart for the religion. If anything, this will only be the cause of more fracturing into more denominations. Sure, some will begin to accept the LGBT community into their congregations, but others will hold stead fast against it. Some individuals may choose to reevaluate their belief in god, their association with organized religion, their particular denomination of their religious faith, but others are bound to listen and believe their pastor who tells them not to be tolerant of LGBTs.

Yes, many church groups are actively fighting against LGBT rights which are becoming more accepted in society, but there are also some groups fighting against the use of contraception even though it too has/is becoming accepted in society. Why isn't this topic the deathnail?

(15-04-2012 10:30 PM)Egor Wrote:  You are correct. Because even if the Christian Chruch comes to accept homosexuality on a regular basis, they will still have lost their credibility regarding their ability to know the truth. If it was wrong before, how can it be okay now?

That would be great if more individuals began to question their church's stance on various topics, but why would this particular one start that trend? The church has been wrong on other subjects before but it doesn't seem to have affected it in a major way. (A pre-apology for bad comparisons) The church was wrong in its belief of a Flat Earth , the cause of disease, evolution... etc and yet still so many blindly follow.

"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace." -- Carlos Santana
16-04-2012, 03:07 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 03:17 AM by Vipa.)
Accepting LGBT won't change a thing for the catholic church. They already changed their flat-world theory, they undid excommunications on witches and the list goes on. the infallibility of the pope won't take a scratch from it... god simply changed his mind or whatever.

In Europe lgbts can become pastors without a problem in most churches (except catholic of course). Religion simply progresses with society - adapt or die so to speak Tongue . Religion in the USA is an oddity within western religion anyway and it's a shame that this idiocy is spreading

Edit: Oh I see Zephony wrote almost the same - sorry ^^ *sign what Zephony wrote*
[+] 1 user Likes Vipa's post
16-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Unfortunately, eventually the organized sects of Christianity will capitulate and start to pretend that they were accepting of homosexuals all along, and people will believe them because they are suckers.

I hope as much damage as possible is done to organized religion before that happens.

I always wonder why gays are so fervently pursuing inclusion in church. I understand it is a symbol of acceptance in society but you would think they of all people
could see the church for the hateful monstrosity that it really is and gladly wash their hands of it.
[+] 1 user Likes Superluminal's post
16-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Kirk Cameron, former child actor-turned-fundamentalist Christian, has made some rather disparaging remarks about homosexuals. He stated that it is "unnatural... I think that it's detrimental, and ultimately destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization." In response to this, other former child actors got together with Will Farrel's comedy website Funny or Die to create the following clip:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/b6ddedd...rk-cameron

It's sad to think that there are other bigoted people in the world like Kirk.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2012, 08:46 AM
I live with a homophobe. I would love to smash him around a bit. He does my nut in.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post