Homophobic or Homo-Cautious

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2016, 09:41 AM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2016 09:50 AM by Agnostic Shane.)
Homophobic or Homo-Cautious
My question is:
What do you understand by the word homophobic?

Is being very cautious when approached by a homosexual person considered homophobic?

Eg. If a known gay person continuously calls you "dear" "sweetie" or "honey" each time they negatively respond to you & you ask them to stop doing that is this being Homophobic. What if he wasn't gay, would you still be justified in asking them to desist?

I think it might be Homophobic but for a good cause. What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2016, 09:43 AM
RE: Homophobic or Homo-Cautious
(16-03-2016 09:41 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  My question is:

Is being very cautious when approached by a homosexual person considered homophobic?

Eg. If a popular gay person continuously calls you "dear" "sweetie" or "honey" each time they negatively respond to you & you ask them to stop doing that is this being Homophobic?

Southern Ladies call other women and also men that all the time. Not fond of it myself, but it's just a cultural thing and ok.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-03-2016, 09:46 AM
(16-03-2016 09:41 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Is being very cautious when approached by a homosexual person considered homophobic?

No. It's considered being an asshole. Dodgy

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 5 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
16-03-2016, 09:47 AM
(16-03-2016 09:43 AM)Dom Wrote:  

Eg. If a popular gay person continuously calls you "dear" "sweetie" or "honey" each time they negatively respond to you & you ask them to stop doing that is this being Homophobic?

Southern Ladies call other women and also men that all the time. Not fond of it myself, but it's just a cultural thing and ok.
Yes my wife calls all her female friends honey and darling when chatting on the phone as well, but when it's a guy doing it to another guy it seems very awkward, even more so if he is gay.
16-03-2016, 09:50 AM
(16-03-2016 09:46 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 09:41 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Is being very cautious when approached by a homosexual person considered homophobic?

No. It's considered being an asshole. Dodgy
Sounds interesting. I'm not a very good judge of character, would you like to elaborate on why you think it's considered being an asshole? I take it by asshole you mean publicly inconsiderate and somewhat demeaning? Am I right?
16-03-2016, 09:51 AM

My feeling is that it is isn't about the actual words that are used. It's all about intent.

If, when you ask them to stop referring to you as "dear" "sweetie" or "honey", you intend it to be homophobic, then, it's a homophobic remark. If it wasn't meant in a homophobic way, then it wasn't.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 1 user Likes god has no twitter account's post
16-03-2016, 09:53 AM
(16-03-2016 09:51 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  

My feeling is that it is isn't about the actual words that are used. It's all about intent.

If, when you ask them to stop referring to you as "dear" "sweetie" or "honey", you intend it to be homophobic, then, it's a homophobic remark. If it wasn't meant in a homophobic way, then it wasn't.
I understand what you are saying, but I don't understand what you think homophobic means nor if it is a negative word. Could you elaborate?
16-03-2016, 09:55 AM
[Image: homophobia.jpg]
[+] 31 users Like Mathilda's post
16-03-2016, 09:57 AM
(16-03-2016 09:53 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 09:51 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  My feeling is that it is isn't about the actual words that are used. It's all about intent.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't understand what you think homophobic means nor if it is a negative word. Could you elaborate?

No. Fuck offBig Grin

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 1 user Likes god has no twitter account's post
16-03-2016, 10:02 AM
(16-03-2016 09:55 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  [Image: homophobia.jpg]
Is this the only reason someone can be classified as Homphobic or do you think there are more reasons as well?
I don't call women or men "dear", "sweetie" or "honey" but i am against being called the same by a gay man. Does this mean I am not Homphobic?