Homophobic or Homo-Cautious

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2016, 10:03 AM
RE: Homophobic or Homo-Cautious
(16-03-2016 09:57 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 09:53 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I understand what you are saying, but I don't understand what you think homophobic means nor if it is a negative word. Could you elaborate?

No. Fuck offBig Grin
Ok well thanks anyway.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2016, 10:16 AM
(16-03-2016 10:02 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 09:55 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  [Image: homophobia.jpg]
Is this the only reason someone can be classified as Homphobic or do you think there are more reasons as well?
I don't call women or men "dear", "sweetie" or "honey" but i am against being called the same by a gay man. Does this mean I am not Homphobic?

Dunno'. Why do you think you are against it?
16-03-2016, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2016 10:26 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
Why do you dislike those terms, Shane? Are you worried that if you don't say something, someone else might think you yourself are gay? Are you worried that the gay guy(s) will unfold the next stage of their nefarious plan to co-opt another straight?

It's been my experience that when someone makes me uncomfortable for any reason, often times the reason is inside me, and not externalized as I may have first projected. It's also been my experience that when someone treats me in a manner I don't like, simply ignoring the treatment and reducing that person's presence in my life handles the matter without making a capital-I Issue out of things.
[+] 10 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
16-03-2016, 10:20 AM
(16-03-2016 09:41 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Is being very cautious when approached by a homosexual person considered homophobic?

If you think you have to be cautious in any way when approached by a homosexual person that differs from how you'd be when approached by a heterosexual person then yes, you are homophobic.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 9 users Like unfogged's post
16-03-2016, 10:22 AM
Being accepting of all sexual orientations and all people does not mean you're required to put up with being condescended to. If someone is calling you by a familiar name or term of endearment you don't care to be called it shouldn't matter what gender, age, race, or orientation they are if they're not giving you your due respect they're the one being a prick. You have the right to be addressed by the name of your choice. If you'd rather be called by your full name than a nickname you're not interfering with someone's right to express their orientation or personal style by calling you "honey," or "darling," or something instead. But I think the question you should ask yourself is whether it's the lack of formality that bothers you, or the fact that the person doing it is gay. Would it still bug you if it was someone from another group, like a woman your mother's age or something?
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
16-03-2016, 10:23 AM
(16-03-2016 10:02 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 09:55 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  [Image: homophobia.jpg]
Is this the only reason someone can be classified as Homphobic or do you think there are more reasons as well?

No, it's not the only reason for homophobia.

Is Homophobia Associated With Homosexual Arousal?
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
16-03-2016, 10:57 AM
I never got homophobia. Some girls like eating pussy, what is scary about that? Afraid they are better at it than you are? And what about gay men? A man likes other dudes. What are you afraid they will pass on the gay? Newsflash, you can't catch gay.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
16-03-2016, 10:57 AM
(16-03-2016 09:47 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 09:43 AM)Dom Wrote:  Southern Ladies call other women and also men that all the time. Not fond of it myself, but it's just a cultural thing and ok.
Yes my wife calls all her female friends honey and darling when chatting on the phone as well, but when it's a guy doing it to another guy it seems very awkward, even more so if he is gay.

If the guy was obviously hitting on me, I would let him know I'm not interested. But if that's just the way he addresses people in general (or even just men in general), I would take no offense and just get used to it. I talk to people at work and elsewhere who sometimes call me "chief" or "boss". I think that's weird (I'm not anyone's chief or boss), but I don't let it bother me -- it's just the way they address people. Not worth getting bothered about.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
16-03-2016, 11:03 AM
(16-03-2016 10:57 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I never got homophobia. Some girls like eating pussy, what is scary about that? Afraid they are better at it than you are? And what about gay men? A man likes other dudes. What are you afraid they will pass on the gay? Newsflash, you can't catch gay.

You can't? Then explain this:

[Image: extrafabulous-comics-gay-son-1210609.gif]

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 9 users Like Szuchow's post
16-03-2016, 11:06 AM
(16-03-2016 09:41 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  My question is:
What do you understand by the word homophobic?

Quote:Definition of homophobia
:irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals

(16-03-2016 09:41 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Is being very cautious when approached by a homosexual person considered homophobic?

Yes. Are you cautious when a woman approaches you?

(16-03-2016 09:41 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Eg. If a known gay person continuously calls you "dear" "sweetie" or "honey" each time they negatively respond to you & you ask them to stop doing that is this being Homophobic.

No. You have the right to ask someone to stop calling you anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.

(16-03-2016 09:41 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  What if he wasn't gay, would you still be justified in asking them to desist?

Yes.

(16-03-2016 09:41 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I think it might be Homophobic but for a good cause. What do you think?

You can't be homophobic for a good cause. If you are asking the person to stop calling you like that because you don't like being called like that, it has nothing to do with homophobia. If you are asking them to stop because you are afraid that if you allow it they will hit on you then it is homophobic, not to mention utterly stupid.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 5 users Like undergroundp's post