Homosexuality and history.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Homosexuality and history.
so I've read before that being gay was acceptable in the past put i'm not really sure because some resources claims that being gay wasn't really accepted openly and it was only accepted in few nations like Greeks, Romans and Indians only.
and the number of gays barely existed even before the "bible existence" .

all i'm asking to know here is :
was it really accepted in general or it's was only adopted by few nations ?
was it really a small number ?
is the reason that they didn't really open up about it because it was normal or because they were ashamed ?

any thoughts ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2016, 09:39 PM
RE: Homosexuality and history.
The world was smaller back then, too. Remember that. The majority of the surface of the world was unpopulated.

From what we can understand, the percentage of homosexuals in existence has always roughly been the same compared to heterosexuals.

From what I understand, there was no shame; that only entered the equation with the creation of monotheism.
[+] 1 user Likes Foxen's post
03-07-2016, 10:00 PM
(03-07-2016 09:33 PM)rosechaos Wrote:  so I've read before that being gay was acceptable in the past put i'm not really sure because some resources claims that being gay wasn't really accepted openly and it was only accepted in few nations like Greeks, Romans and Indians only.
and the number of gays barely existed even before the "bible existence" .

all i'm asking to know here is :
was it really accepted in general or it's was only adopted by few nations ?
was it really a small number ?
is the reason that they didn't really open up about it because it was normal or because they were ashamed ?

any thoughts ?

There have been some cultures where it was acceptable.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2016, 10:05 PM
China.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
03-07-2016, 10:20 PM
(03-07-2016 10:05 PM)Banjo Wrote:  China.
Banjo is correct. There is a concept in Chinese culture known as the "passion of the cut sleeve", which has to do with an emperor cutting off his robe sleeve as opposed to waking his male lover in order to get out of bed.

The samurai of Japan were big into dude on dude action. Some thought sleeping with a woman would demasculate them. That's why they stuck with sticking it to their comrades. Pederasty was also a big thing in Japanese culture. Older men would take young male lovers, and their relationships were celebrated. Many families paired their young sons with an older male of some repute as a way of elevating their social status. It was kind of like an apprenticeship/marriage.
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
04-07-2016, 06:19 AM
(03-07-2016 10:20 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 10:05 PM)Banjo Wrote:  China.
Banjo is correct. There is a concept in Chinese culture known as the "passion of the cut sleeve", which has to do with an emperor cutting off his robe sleeve as opposed to waking his male lover in order to get out of bed.

The samurai of Japan were big into dude on dude action. Some thought sleeping with a woman would demasculate them. That's why they stuck with sticking it to their comrades. Pederasty was also a big thing in Japanese culture. Older men would take young male lovers, and their relationships were celebrated. Many families paired their young sons with an older male of some repute as a way of elevating their social status. It was kind of like an apprenticeship/marriage.

Spartans had a very similar view on masculinity, sexuality and virility. They also encourage pederasty as a apprenticeship/bonding experience as well as more classical form of homosexual practices. It should be noted that Spartans were mostly bisexual since they were also married to women and «maintaining» your wife was a civic duty.

All in all, homosexuality was accepted or at least considered as nothing more than a rich man «kink» in several culture most frequently cited in European Antiquity would be the Etrusque.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
04-07-2016, 06:33 AM
My question would be this...was homosexuality in the past more acceptable or did people just not worry themselves about it?

When did people become so concerned about what others did with regard to a mutually consensual sexual/romantic relationship?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
04-07-2016, 06:49 AM
(04-07-2016 06:33 AM)Anjele Wrote:  My question would be this...was homosexuality in the past more acceptable or did people just not worry themselves about it?

When did people become so concerned about what others did with regard to a mutually consensual sexual/romantic relationship?

As others have noted both here and in various places (internet, books, etc.), homosexuality is very normal in nature. Of all the species on this planet, and of those which have gone extinct, we humans are the only one's to judge others based on sexual inclination. It's natural, and just like many aspects of nature and science, religion fucks it up.

By the way, I'm not some gay guy making excuses for myself. I'm heterosexual and a recovering bigot.
[+] 2 users Like Armageddon it's post
04-07-2016, 06:51 AM
Alcibades was a switch-hitter and general bad boy.

[Image: Socrates-Alcibiades.jpg]
04-07-2016, 07:00 AM
(04-07-2016 06:49 AM)Armageddon it Wrote:  
(04-07-2016 06:33 AM)Anjele Wrote:  My question would be this...was homosexuality in the past more acceptable or did people just not worry themselves about it?

As others have noted both here and in various places (internet, books, etc.), homosexuality is very normal in nature. Of all the species on this planet, and of those which have gone extinct, we humans are the only one's to judge others based on sexual inclination. It's natural, and just like many aspects of nature and science, religion fucks it up.

By the way, I'm not some gay guy making excuses for myself. I'm heterosexual and a recovering bigot.

What someone prefers sexually only affects me if I am in a sexual relationship with that person. I've just never had an issue with homosexuality. As long as a sexual relationship is consensual I simply don't care.

For some reason racial and sexual bigotry didn't ever hold a place in my mind.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF