Homosexuality, and what the Bible says about it.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2011, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2011 10:55 AM by cufflink.)
RE: Homosexuality, and what the Bible says about it.
(22-11-2011 03:50 AM)17thknight Wrote:  But the GOVERNMENT forcing a PRIVATE business owner to take on customers they don't want? That's appalling. That's terrifying. That's tyrannical. That's 1984.

Actually, it's 1964, at least in the United States. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 did the following:

Quote:[From the Wikipedia article:]

Title II
Outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion or national origin in hotels, motels, restaurants, theaters, and all other public accommodations engaged in interstate commerce; exempted private clubs without defining the term "private."

. . .

After the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed, the Supreme Court upheld the law's application to the private sector, on the grounds that Congress has the power to regulate commerce between the States. The landmark case, Heart of Atlanta Motel Inc. v. U.S., established the Constitutionality of the law, but it did not settle all of the legal questions surrounding the law.

So if I don't like your skin color or religion, say, I can exclude you from my home and I don't have to admit you to my private club, but if I run a business open to the public, I may not refuse you service on that ground. Although a few Americans object to it (my impression is they're mainly Libertarians, who don't like the government telling anyone what to do, ever), most of us do not see the Civil Rights Act as "appalling, terrifying, or tyrannical." We see it as a necessary correction for past injustice and a guard against injustice in the future.

As part of the social contract, we all give up some personal freedom for the common good. The government makes me stop my car when I reach a certain corner near my home, whether there's traffic around me or not. That infringes on my personal freedom, but I'm willing to put up with that bit of lost autonomy so traffic can flow smoothly. Laws exist to help promote the kind of society we want. Resolving the inherent conflict between law and personal freedom is a balancing act. In this particular case, most people feel laws against discrimination in public accommodation are a good thing. I for one would like to see sexual orientation added to the list of federally prohibited discrimination.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2011, 01:21 AM
RE: Homosexuality, and what the Bible says about it.
(22-11-2011 03:50 AM)17thknight Wrote:  It doesn't matter whether we agree with their views or not, it's their business, they have an absolute right to serve who they wish, when they wish, for whatever reasons they wish.

Wow! Well, there are some things such as social conscience and profitabilty . As a business owner, I would not refuse service to someone based on color, religion, sex, age, sexual preference, ugliness, beauty, height, weight, hair color, number of body piercings or tattoos.

Where I draw the line is if someone is intoxicated, high on drugs, wearing apparel that disguises their face, wears dark glasses so I can't see their eyes, security measures basically.

I'm in business to make money, not to pick and choose who I'll make money from. If someone has a dollar to give me, well, I'll take it. I need to eat and stay alive.

I'd even serve a priest who walked through my door!

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply