Homosexuality is (often) due to genetics: please share evidence and resources

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2015, 01:29 PM
RE: Homosexuality is (often) due to genetics: please share evidence and resources
(14-05-2015 01:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's exactly right. The process is not completely understood yet. It's thought to be in part, the result of circulating hormone levels in the mother at certain times in the pregnancy.

I guess that would make a little more sense. So when environmental factors are mentioned, they don't mean any culture or social influences? Those cited enviromental factors are reserved solely to what occurs in the womb?

Is this to say that cultural or social influences have no real bearing here on our sexual identity?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2015, 01:32 PM
RE: Homosexuality is (often) due to genetics: please share evidence and resources
(14-05-2015 01:29 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(14-05-2015 01:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's exactly right. The process is not completely understood yet. It's thought to be in part, the result of circulating hormone levels in the mother at certain times in the pregnancy.

I guess that would make a little more sense. So when environmental factors are mentioned, they don't mean any culture or social influences? Those cited enviromental factors are reserved solely to what occurs in the womb?

Is this to say that cultural or social influences have no real bearing here on our sexual identity?

No, it doesn't say that. Nor does it say that they do.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-05-2015, 01:39 PM
(14-05-2015 01:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, it doesn't say that. Nor does it say that they do.

Do you think cultural and social factors alone could influence a person to be attracted to the same sex, in the same way that cultural and social factors can influence us to be attracted to blue eyed blondes?

I'm asking out of curiosity, I have no real leg in this race.
14-05-2015, 01:42 PM
(14-05-2015 01:29 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

I guess that would make a little more sense. So when environmental factors are mentioned, they don't mean any culture or social influences? Those cited environmental factors are reserved solely to what occurs in the womb?

Until they can sort out (control for) individual genetic and epigenetic effects no one will be able to build a solid model. Whatever it's about, it not about "choice". Also the bilateral model is wrong. Human behaviors are a (vast) range of behaviors on a Bell curve.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
14-05-2015, 01:53 PM
(14-05-2015 01:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Whatever it's about, it not about "choice".

It doesn't seem that any part of our sexual attractions are about choice, even if those attractions are deemed as appropriate and acceptable or not. If a priest is attracted to one of his young alter boys, is that really a choice? If a married man is attracted and aroused by the company of his brother's wife, is that a choice?

Is my attraction to women of my own ethnic background, of a particular shape and size, about choice? I don't think so.

But I do wonder whether seeing certain attractions as wrong, could alter them as well. Could a man whose attracted to another man's wife, believing that he shouldn't see her that way, eventually be able to not see her that way as a result?
14-05-2015, 01:56 PM
(14-05-2015 01:53 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(14-05-2015 01:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Whatever it's about, it not about "choice".

It doesn't seem that any part of our sexual attractions are about choice, even if those attractions are deemed as appropriate and acceptable or not. If a priest is attracted to one of his young alter boys, is that really a choice? If a married man is attracted and aroused by the company of his brother's wife, is that a choice?

Is my attraction to women of my own ethnic background, of a particular shape and size, about choice? I don't think so.

Nor do I. Nor does Bucky, I'm pretty sure.

What we have some control over is our actions.

Quote:But I do wonder whether seeing certain attractions as wrong, could alter them as well. Could a man whose attracted to another man's wife, believing that he shouldn't see her that way, eventually be able to not see her that way as a result?

I rather doubt it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-05-2015, 09:24 PM
I have found it to be a choice. We just live in a society where faux liberals claim it's not a choice. There was no issue with homosexual relations in ancient societies. I have always seen it as a defense used by people who don't sleep with their own sexuality as a means of making themselves look more liberal.
14-05-2015, 09:48 PM
(14-05-2015 09:24 PM)Dunkleweizen Wrote:  I have found it to be a choice. We just live in a society where faux liberals claim it's not a choice. There was no issue with homosexual relations in ancient societies. I have always seen it as a defense used by people who don't sleep with their own sexuality as a means of making themselves look more liberal.

Too bad you seem to be wrong by every study in this thread.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
15-05-2015, 06:34 AM
Once we figure out the exact genetic and epigenetic triggers we'll be right round the corner from a cure!

(the double edged sword of research)

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
15-05-2015, 06:41 AM
(14-05-2015 09:48 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-05-2015 09:24 PM)Dunkleweizen Wrote:  I have found it to be a choice. We just live in a society where faux liberals claim it's not a choice. There was no issue with homosexual relations in ancient societies. I have always seen it as a defense used by people who don't sleep with their own sexuality as a means of making themselves look more liberal.

Too bad you seem to be wrong by every study in this thread.

We just live in a society where we are conditioned at birth to avoid homosexual thoughts. Societies which also turn men into warriors and leaders and girls into models and homemakers when the two sexes showed opposite traits in their developing years.