Homosexuality no longer a 'sin'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2010, 04:16 PM
RE: Homosexuality no longer a 'sin'
They're raised to believe that it's their God-given duty to induct people into their church.

Another thing; attitudes towards religion in the American South are very different from the rest of the country. Religious fundamentalism is much more common than in other areas, as is fire-and-brimstone preaching and Bible-thumping evangelism. You don't get much of that where I live.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2010, 12:44 AM

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2010, 07:46 PM

I think the idea of atheists being universally tolerant of homosexuality is a myth. It's PC in the US for atheists to be tolerant, but the two don't always go together. There are religious liberals who also wax poetic about their acceptance of gays. And there are way too many gays who cling to god. I lived in Russia for a while when I was in grad school. Not a lot of tolerant atheists there.

Being gay is becoming nicely passe. Younger folks these days don't seem to care much. The social stigma of being gay, whatever is left of it, is primarily just that... social. It's easy to find people in all walks of life who sit on either side of the tolerance fence. Yes, atheists are generally more open to it in the US, and there are a lot of gaytheists... but still, you don't have to scratch very far to find the macho mythos out there.
26-08-2010, 03:16 AM

I've no problem with gays, it's not my business who they have sex with.

What I can't stand however is people eating radish! I mean, what kind of perverted beast you've got to be to do such hideous act! It's just horrible, radish... smashed by their teeth... swallowed... GAH, NO I CAN'T EVEN THINK OF THAT.
26-08-2010, 01:17 PM
(17-07-2010 06:38 AM)Lotus View Wrote:  Is it me or has anyone else noticed that among atheists and those that free themselves from religious dogma that homosexuals are no longer stigmatized as evil, sinful, abnormal, etc., etc. ?

It seems to me the demands of religious doctrines to demonize gays and lesbians (which includes me as a gay man) was the sole lynch pin that enforced the belief that there was something wrong with gay people and their sexuality. I am curious to hear others responses and thoughts regarding their change (if any) in views about homosexuality once they became free thinkers. Anyone?

Yes, I have noticed this. I grew up in a town where religion didn't play a huge role, or at least one small enough that I didn't notice it. I also grew up with a friend in high school who was bi (she has since come out as a lesbian) and if she was treated differently at school it was because she was a geek and not because of her orientation. Regardless, she felt comfortable enough in the environment to come out, as did a couple of guys in my school who were openly gay. Again, I believe it was because the town where I grew up was not a very religious town that these people were comfortable expressing their sexuality. Of course, I say this after the fact, because at the time it didn't seem at all irregular to me growing up.
Since moving away from my hometown and going to university, I have encountered some surprising opinions about homosexuals, many of which have absolutely astounded me. I had a Psychology professor who told our class about the constant amount of hate email he has received about his orientation. I was further astonished by some of the things I learned in the class (it was a Human Sexuality class) about other countries' official stances on homosexuality. For example, there are only 4 countries in the world who allow gay marriage! I had no idea that my country (Canada) was only a minority in this regard.
So my experience has really been an eye-opening one. I never used to think that homosexuality was an issue at all. However, since having lived in one of Canada's most religious areas (southern Alberta) for two years, I have come to realise that people are not as open-minded as I used to give them credit for, which I find quite depressing. I have heard some religious people say that they don't think homosexuals are evil, but they do thing that there is something mentally wrong with them, which is just as ignorant and unaccepting as those that call them evil.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2010, 02:32 AM

It seems more likely that Atheists think where blind followers tend not to. A good example is the vast majority of "Christians" haven't bothered to read The Bible. Even if they did they wouldn't get it right.