Honest questions for Kingschosen

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2012, 10:18 AM

Honest questions for Kingschosen
In most likely a failed attempt to understand Kingschosen better, I’d like to know what his feelings on KEY Old Testament stories are……are they ACTUAL history, or metaphorical stories used as teaching methods?

1. Creation as spelled out in 6 days.
2. Adam and Eve
3. The Flood (I think he’s said it was regional)
4. Sodom and Gomorrah (with the wife tuned into salt)
5. The Exodus
6. The story of the physical 10 commandments in stone
7. Tower of Babel
8. The story of Job
9. Story of Jonah and the Whale

As an Ex Fundie and probably like many ex Christians, we treated these stories as ACTUAL history. Yes they taught a story, but they ALSO actually happened.

Since KC has chosen to be among us Hell bound White Apes and engage us in thoughtful conversation, I’d like to see where he actually stands on these as I am often perplexed at his position on things.

Denicio
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post
23-01-2012, 10:24 AM
RE: Honest questions for Kingschosen
I've got a lot of catching up to do, plus I've got some friends asking me some questions about election.

So, I WILL answer these (you know I will); however, it may take me a bit. There are a lot of things I need to address and answer already on the A&T Forum.

But, thank you Denicio, for these questions.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
23-01-2012, 10:27 AM

(23-01-2012 10:24 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've got a lot of catching up to do, plus I've got some friends asking me some questions about election.

So, I WILL answer these (you know I will); however, it may take me a bit. There are a lot of things I need to address and answer already on the A&T Forum.

But, thank you Denicio, for these questions.

You dont have to go into huge long answers. Just simple yes and knows will suffice.
Historial or not will do too.

D
Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2012, 03:31 PM
(23-01-2012 10:18 AM)Denicio Wrote:  In most likely a failed attempt to understand Kingschosen better, I’d like to know what his feelings on KEY Old Testament stories are……are they ACTUAL history, or metaphorical stories used as teaching methods?

2. Adam and Eve
5. The Exodus
7. Tower of Babel
8. The story of Job

As an Ex Fundie and probably like many ex Christians, we treated these stories as ACTUAL history. Yes they taught a story, but they ALSO actually happened.

Since KC has chosen to be among us Hell bound White Apes and engage us in thoughtful conversation, I’d like to see where he actually stands on these as I am often perplexed at his position on things.

Denicio

Thanks for reminding me about Lot's wife. Whatever else God gets off the hook for, I reckon we got him nailed for a-salt Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
23-01-2012, 08:26 PM
(23-01-2012 10:18 AM)Denicio Wrote:  In most likely a failed attempt to understand Kingschosen better, I’d like to know what his feelings on KEY Old Testament stories are……are they ACTUAL history, or metaphorical stories used as teaching methods?

2. Adam and Eve
5. The Exodus
7. Tower of Babel
8. The story of Job

Denicio

I too am confused by his reasoning.
If I understand correctly, he stated earlier that there were two Adams. One literal and one figurative. How he knows this is a bit murky.
That post on election in the "Arminianisn and Calvinism" thread was a doozy and I just hope he can keep it reasonably short here.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TalladegaTom's post
23-01-2012, 08:30 PM
(23-01-2012 08:26 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  I too am confused by his reasoning.
If I understand correctly, he stated earlier that there were two Adams. One literal and one figurative. How he knows this is a bit murky.
That post on election in the "Arminianisn and Calvinism" thread was a doozy and I just hope he can keep it reasonably short here.

I'll try and keep them shorter. Hopefully, I'll get to these tomorrow after I finish the rest in the A&T Forum.

23-01-2012, 08:39 PM
(23-01-2012 08:30 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'll try and keep them shorter. Hopefully, I'll get to these tomorrow after I finish the rest in the A&T Forum.

Wouldn't it be more exciting if it were the T&A Forum instead?

Denicio, I'm with you. Growing up as a fundie, these stories were history. More to the point it was HIStory. It wasn't until I started taking a more liberal approach to scripture (like KC), that I finally began the road out of the slavery of Christianity and into the fresh freedom of reality.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-01-2012, 10:28 AM
1) The creation story of Genesis is ancient cosmology. It was written in a way so that people could understand the covenant made with mankind. It is inspired, but it is not scientific because it wasn't written as science. It was written as a teaching tool.

2) They were both literal people; however, they were used in the creation story as a model or archetype for humanity. The Hebrews understood Adam as their origin or beginning (in their lineage), so they used his character in the story because it represented the "beginning of man" as they understood it. They were not the first physical humans.

3) Yes, the flood was regional. Common mistranslations and ambiguity for "earth" and "mountains" in the Hebrew greatly change the meaning.

4) Lot's wife? I'm not sure I understand the question. Why did she turn to salt for looking back? Disobedience to God. Is this fair? To God it is. This shows the severity of following God's commands.

5) What I said here:
I’ve read the story about the Hyksos (sp?). It seems fairly inconclusive and doesn’t explain everything that happened. They also say that Rameses II would have NEVER let the exodus happen because of how prideful he was. If the events of Exodus are true, then Rameses got completely owned by God... humiliated. There was nothing he could do and all his efforts were in vain. Because of his pride, and “god-king” stature, he could have easily erased this from Egyptian history.

6) Not sure what you're asking. Didn't know this was a problem. Explain?

7) Kind of the same as above. What are you asking?

8) Since I believe in no freewill, the story of Job actually validates my beliefs.

9) Same as #6 and #7.

24-01-2012, 10:32 AM
(24-01-2012 10:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  6) Not sure what you're asking. Didn't know this was a problem. Explain?

8) Since I believe in no freewill, the story of Job actually validates my beliefs.

9) Same as #6 and #7.

6--Do you believe God wrote the 10 Commandments on tablets of stone with his "finger"?

7--Do you believe everyone spoke a common language, tried to build a tower to reach the heavens, and then were scattered across the earth speaking different languages?

9--Do you believe a dude named Jonah lived, was swallowed by a huge fish, regurgitated on a beach and preached Nineveh out of destruction by YHWH?

9--Denicio...I'm a little disappointed you stopped at 9. This is not a Biblical number. You need either 3, 7, 10 or 12 questions. Nine is right out.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
24-01-2012, 10:47 AM
(24-01-2012 10:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  1) The creation story of Genesis is ancient cosmology. It was written in a way so that people could understand the covenant made with mankind. It is inspired, but it is not scientific because it wasn't written as science. It was written as a teaching tool.

A tool for teaching the wrong thing? By wrong I mean shit that ain't so.

Quote:2) They were both literal people; however, they were used in the creation story as a model or archetype for humanity. The Hebrews understood Adam as their origin or beginning (in their lineage), so they used his character in the story because it represented the "beginning of man" as they understood it. They were not the first physical humans.

But still made from clay/rib, right? Or is this another one of those teaching tools?

Quote:3) Yes, the flood was regional. Common mistranslations and ambiguity for "earth" and "mountains" in the Hebrew greatly change the meaning.

Do you also have some non-biblical proof to support a regional flood that was impossible to survive by climbing trees or running to high grounds? Keep in mind that they needed to spend 10 entire months in a floating box. No other way to survive.

Quote:5) What I said here:
I’ve read the story about the Hyksos (sp?). It seems fairly inconclusive and doesn’t explain everything that happened. They also say that Rameses II would have NEVER let the exodus happen because of how prideful he was. If the events of Exodus are true, then Rameses got completely owned by God... humiliated. There was nothing he could do and all his efforts were in vain. Because of his pride, and “god-king” stature, he could have easily erased this from Egyptian history.

Did he also erase census and boarder records which also don't mention the Hebrews entering or exiting the country?

Quote:6) Not sure what you're asking. Didn't know this was a problem. Explain?

9) Same as #6 and #7.
I'll take this as: literal, literal, literal and literal. Do you have better reasons to believe in such magic other than the bible says so?

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.