Honest questions for Kingschosen

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2012, 12:19 PM
RE: Honest questions for Kingschosen
I have one curious question. Unrelated to belief in the scripture.

Well it's actually two.

Are you going to raise your adorable little boy as a christian or wait till he's old enough to choose for himself?

And

How comfortable would you be with your kids growing up to be atheists? This would obviously mean they weren't chosen. Also I'm aware that you would still love them. I don't doubt that.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2012, 12:29 PM
(24-01-2012 12:17 PM)Denicio Wrote:  
(24-01-2012 12:12 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You are aware that I don't believe in freewill and that God chooses and we can't choose, right?

And, I've been a Christian for ~5 years.

I applaud you, a christian 5 years and you found your way here and already exhibit signs of liberal christian theology.

Sorry, D, 'no free will' is about as far from liberal Christian theology as one can be.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
24-01-2012, 12:32 PM

(24-01-2012 12:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-01-2012 12:12 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You are aware that I don't believe in freewill and that God chooses and we can't choose, right?

I applaud you, a christian 5 years and you found your way here and already exhibit signs of liberal christian theology.

Sorry, D, 'no free will' is about as far from liberal Christian theology as one can be.

Yeah, but his POV on Genesis/Creation/Evolution is EXCEEDINGLY liberal.

D
Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2012, 12:35 PM
(24-01-2012 12:32 PM)Denicio Wrote:  
(24-01-2012 12:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Yeah, but his POV on Genesis/Creation/Evolution is EXCEEDINGLY liberal.

D

But he doesn't choose to interpret it liberally since he has no free will.Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
24-01-2012, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2012 01:17 PM by kingschosen.)
(24-01-2012 12:17 PM)Denicio Wrote:  I applaud you, a christian 5 years and you found your way here and already exhibit signs of liberal christian theology.

Do you have a denomination that you lay claim to? A church type you go to?
Or do you attend one of those new agy non denominational 'we dont know what the fuck we are' type churches? Memphis is littered with those...and they almost ALWAYS end up in a terrible scandal of some sort...must be in the water here.

No free will? Hmm, so simply put..god knows and controls what i am having for lunch today? Or does he hold the remote control for only his followers? Does he control everyone, or just the chosen saved?

You are indeed a perplexing christian, no doubt.

D

For salvation, I more closely resemble a Calvinist/Reformed Baptist.
For Biblical interpretation and eschatology, I more closely resemble a Catholic.

I identify as a Reformed Baptist.

I believe in no freewill to it's most exhausted sense. God controls everything.

And yes, I'm a strange Christian. Probably because I read and studied the Bible before I let the church form my beliefs.
(24-01-2012 12:19 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I have one curious question. Unrelated to belief in the scripture.

Well it's actually two.

Are you going to raise your adorable little boy as a christian or wait till he's old enough to choose for himself?

And

How comfortable would you be with your kids growing up to be atheists? This would obviously mean they weren't chosen. Also I'm aware that you would still love them. I don't doubt that.

Yes, I will raise him Christian and teach him about God.

It would kill me; however, I would still have the hope that his regeneration hasn't come.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
24-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Paraoh died with the rest of his army whene they drowned, so I'm not sure about the idea that he erased every possible evidence for the existence of over one million Jews were slaved in Egypt, Moses, the Exodus, the fact that THE ENTIRE EGYPTIAN ARMY DROWNED IN THE RED SEA, etc.

Of course, the new Paraoh could (probably not) do that, but I think he'd rather deal with the fact that his county just lost its army, the cattle and the horses died (... three times...), etc.

The Exodus story can't get anymore rediculous.

Quote:3) Yes, the flood was regional. Common mistranslations and ambiguity for "earth" and "mountains" in the Hebrew greatly change the meaning.
I'm... pretty sure that there's no mistranslation or any ambiguity regarding the words "earth" and "mountains" in the Hebrew. The OT made it pretty clear that the flood was worldwide.
24-01-2012, 01:35 PM
(24-01-2012 01:18 PM)Vlad Wrote:  I'm... pretty sure that there's no mistranslation or any ambiguity regarding the words "earth" and "mountains" in the Hebrew. The OT made it pretty clear that the flood was worldwide.

Nope.

mountains
earth

24-01-2012, 01:47 PM
(24-01-2012 01:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-01-2012 01:18 PM)Vlad Wrote:  I'm... pretty sure that there's no mistranslation or any ambiguity regarding the words "earth" and "mountains" in the Hebrew. The OT made it pretty clear that the flood was worldwide.

Nope.

mountains
earth
Mind showing the troublesome verses?

Because like I said, the Bible makes it clear that the flood was worldwide. Otherwise, why would they need to gather all these animals and stay on the ark for so long? Why does the Bible mention that of the first day of the 10th month, the top of the mountais became visible?
24-01-2012, 01:56 PM
(24-01-2012 01:47 PM)Vlad Wrote:  
(24-01-2012 01:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Nope.

mountains
earth
Mind showing the troublesome verses?

Because like I said, the Bible makes it clear that the flood was worldwide. Otherwise, why would they need to gather all these animals and stay on the ark for so long? Why does the Bible mention that of the first day of the 10th month, the top of the mountais became visible?

Genesis 6 and 7. Every time "earth" is used it's erat and every time "mountains" are used it's har.

24-01-2012, 01:57 PM
I have to admit being a bit baffled by the "no free will" belief KC. Most believers try to hold on to that AND god without ever realizing there is a strong contradiction. I am not baffled that you recognized the contradiction but that instead of interpreting it as if free will exists you interpreted it as no free will exists and god controls it all. Kind of a dismal view in my opinion that we are all nothing more than preordained cogs in a machine with no choice as to what we do, how we do it, when we do it, for how long we do it and how our usefulness will come to an end.

I have been asked how I can see beauty in the world without god and I say that I find beauty in the beauty of nature and the logic of science. I have to ask in light of this realization (perhaps this should be in the Ask a T thread), how do you find beauty in the world through this viewpoint?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post