Honesty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Honesty
I noticed that honesty is not very welcome in our species.

I was wondering what your thoughts are on this?

"Does my arse look big in this dress?"
"Yes actually it does, try the other dress."
"How fucking dare you!"

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2010, 08:00 PM
RE: Honesty
I am a brutally honest person. I'm not going to be rude and nitpick at people when they don't want it, but if they ask me something, I'll generally give them my honest opinion.

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
16-10-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm more of a white liar. Tongue If it's something that doesn't really matter, I don't see the problem with lying a bit as long as it helps and doesn't hurt. But when it's necessary I can be brutally honest, only I usually warn people that I'm going to do it beforehand. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-10-2010, 09:23 AM

We can't be honest because people are too damn sensitive and don't want their self-esteem lowered by the cold, hard truth. We, then, to maintain friendships and relationships must ensure that we don't alienate these people, and so we can't be honest. I am always honest with my friends. And they've gotten used to that, and I hope they appreciate it (maybe they aren't being honest lol).
Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2010, 10:55 AM

I think this is most likely an evolutionary phenomenon, as most things are. Honesty and dishonesty, and the situations in which one is chosen over the other, are used to our advantage and the advantage of our particular "tribe."

Example from your siggie:

"Does my arse look big in this dress?"

This kind of honesty virtually eliminates your chances of reproductive success. Smile

Honesty viewed by the community as bravery, virtuosity, and strength will enhance reproductive success.

And lying to the cops can sometimes (though not usually) keep your ass out of jail.
17-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Honesty is the best policy, sometimes.
18-10-2010, 02:17 AM

I find honesty to be the simplest way to interact with people. This way, I don't have to remember what I told someone in the past. Trying to maintain a lie is way too complicated, so the simple, honest truth is much easier to manage.
18-10-2010, 05:28 AM
(16-10-2010 08:00 PM)jkshrout Wrote:  I am a brutally honest person. I'm not going to be rude and nitpick at people when they don't want it, but if they ask me something, I'll generally give them my honest opinion.

I'm a lot like this too. I'm a horrible liar and I'm horrible at sugar coating so I just go with the truth. I generally try to be as diplomatic about it as I can but I don't always succeed.

I've gotten some commentary about it on a professional level over the years. However, my industry, and my employer, has had massive numbers of layoffs during the recession and I've remained gainfully employed through all of it. I'm sure that is for several reasons, and one of them is certainly luck, but I'm inclined to think another one of the reasons is I tell people the truth and I do what I say I will do.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
18-10-2010, 04:35 PM
(16-10-2010 07:47 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  "Does my arse look big in this dress?"
"How fucking dare you!"

I think the correct answer is: "The cut of that dress doesn't compliment your figure. I think you should try this dress here."

Honesty doesn't have to be brutal ^.^

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
18-10-2010, 04:57 PM

I think we have a problem with honesty, because we're afraid to face what we're not ready to hear. Somewhere it's probably related to the fear paradigm that dominates the population spiritually. Who knows? However, I think it can be that we are either afraid to be chucked down a notch, from that self-important image we bear for ourselves. And we're afraid of the reprisals to ourselves or to hurt others and the consequences that may follow in how they feel about us, for being honest.

Does this dress make my butt look big?

No, the dress has nothing to do with that.

The truth is the truth. It's whether or not we're strong enough to face it, from any side, that makes us stay true or lie.I think either decision is a matter of pure selfishness. What we're ready to face, for being honest. Or not.