Honesty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2010, 08:26 PM

RE: Honesty
For thousands of years, People have lied to each other and themselves so that they could feel better, get out of trouble, gain power, or who knows what else. It's in our nature. I like honesty and truth. This why I am atheist. I'm not gonna lie to you about going to hell if you do wrong, or lie to myself about going to heaven after I die. I think most atheists are generally honest people, because the look for the truth.
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2010, 12:48 AM

I am also truly honest man. I like being honest and when i am honest to others i always expect others to be honest to me also. At least these expectations are from the one who are close to me.
11-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Honey, do these pants make my ass look fat?
No. But the hamburgers do.

Big Grin

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Norseman's post
14-07-2011, 04:10 AM

i think honesty is the best way to comunicate with intelligent people mostly because i'm not gonna say something that isn't just to make myself and the people i talk to feel a little better.if i don't like someone or something i say it.i don't see any reason in victimising yourself when talking with someone(ex:"Do you want me to go to the shop and buy you an ice-cream?" "No,it's fine...I'll do it myself if you don't have the time..") other than to exploit that person,and i'm not like that.i try to be as open(minded) to people as i can.
14-07-2011, 10:04 PM
We tell the truth on the big things to be trusted in the human herd.
We tell little white lies to get along with the human herd (don't hurt feelings, our primitive brain parts can't tell the difference with betrayal for survival Wink. )
15-07-2011, 01:16 AM
Kant wanted us to be perfecly honest and came up with his categorical imperative based on what he believed to be absolute truths. For example it was wrong to lie even to save an innocent person from depraved torturers, lies being seen as an absolute moral predicate to honesty. Moral relativism sort of says that we need to weigh up as much as we can relevant to tricky moral issues, and this seems far more flexible though not without problems.
As for fat buts, I suppose it depends how fat with less than gross obesity (not sure how thats gauged internationally) being ignored (passive dishonesty). In my laugh group there is a young girl who looks borderline anorexic. Should I say something? To my knowlege such people may be made even worse by speaking out..
Probably we can only do our best relying on accrued knowledge, intuition, empathy and emotion.
I realize this is a gross oversimplification~~~Mr Woof.
"I am only aware of my own ignorance." Socrates[/i][i]
15-07-2011, 03:23 AM
Honesty is preferrable, but it's a good idea to let thoughts swing by the brain for sensoring/refraising/muting first. For instance, what's the point in saying cruel things like "it must be tough making love with all that fat hanging round?". As if people are not aware of how fat or thin or whatever they are, why add more hurt to it? Better then to not say anything if not asked. When asked, I say what I mean, but I try to say things nicely.

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
17-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Honesty is a large, loose concept - not unlike the dress you should be buying instead.
It's hardly ever black/white, yes/no: there is tact, diplomacy, discretion, compassion and a versatile vocabulary to soften our opinions. For example, you would use different language with a close friend of the same sex, a recent lover, a child, a boss, a casual acquaintance, a police detective, an elderly aunt....

Most of the time, we don't know the truth, let alone The Truth - only what we currently believe or think. I believe that it's possible to be generally honest without expressing the most Housian version of whatever just popped into our heads.

Also, it's probably a good idea to pick carefully the person from whom you request and "honest" answer to a particular question. Are they competent to judge? Do they possess the necessary information? Do they have a vested interest pro or con? Are they on your side? afraid of you? angry with you? Like that.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
17-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Are... are you guys trying to... tell me I'm... FAT???!!!??? Sad

I see how it is now. What an elaborate way to get me to buy pants that actually fit me.

Vengeance will be had... and by me!!!Angry

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-07-2011, 01:15 PM
No, no! I'm sure you look wonderful in any costume. It's just, you know, in this heat....

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post