Hong Kong fights against tyranny

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2014, 12:39 PM
Hong Kong fights against tyranny
http://news.msn.com/world/hong-kong-reso...r-warnings

The Pro-democracy protests are increasing in size and scope in the semi-autonomous Island city of Hong Kong. Months of student protests have grown. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
29-09-2014, 10:32 PM
RE: Hong Kong fights against tyranny
It's China. The tanks will roll in, protestors will be killed and nobody in China will even hear about it.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
29-09-2014, 10:49 PM
My worry is that they'll have the same resolve as the majority of well intentioned protestors in the world. They'll raise hell just long enough to cause problems, damaging the economy, making the local government look week, etc., then when China finally mobilizes they'll lose their nerve and back off, leaving a perfect opportunity for China to fill the vacuum and get their way. We've been watching people all over the world make the same mistake a lot lately.

It only works when you're willing to see it through, and I think the last time that happened was Gandhi.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
29-09-2014, 10:56 PM
(29-09-2014 10:49 PM)yakherder Wrote:  My worry is that they'll have the same resolve as the majority of well intentioned protestors in the world. They'll raise hell just long enough to cause problems, damaging the economy, making the local government look week, etc., then when China finally mobilizes they'll lose their nerve and back off, leaving a perfect opportunity for China to fill the vacuum and get their way. We've been watching people all over the world make the same mistake a lot lately.

It only works when you're willing to see it through, and I think the last time that happened was Gandhi.

This is China we're talking about.

I don't know about you or the protesters involved, but in the face of tanks rolling down the street, I'd lose my nerve.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-09-2014, 11:58 PM
(29-09-2014 10:56 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(29-09-2014 10:49 PM)yakherder Wrote:  My worry is that they'll have the same resolve as the majority of well intentioned protestors in the world. They'll raise hell just long enough to cause problems, damaging the economy, making the local government look week, etc., then when China finally mobilizes they'll lose their nerve and back off, leaving a perfect opportunity for China to fill the vacuum and get their way. We've been watching people all over the world make the same mistake a lot lately.

This is China we're talking about.

I don't know about you or the protesters involved, but in the face of tanks rolling down the street, I'd lose my nerve.

Sometimes that's what it takes, though. In the Tian An Men square protests, there were thousands of protestors involved. Who's the one we still remember? Tank man, of course. That's the kind of courage it takes to achieve results. Anything you fear can be used as leverage against you.

If people are not willing to die for their cause, and those standing in their way have the ability to take their lives without reprisal, then they've already lost.

I'm not saying what they should or shouldn't do, but they've got a choice to make, and I'd rather see them thinking things through and acting with a purpose rather than simply causing a disturbance without any concept of how doing so is going to help them achieve their objective.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
30-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Cenk Uygur - The Young Turks

Same Seder - Majority Report

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
30-09-2014, 01:07 PM
But what could they possibly have to protest in their wonderful Libertarian utopia?

Consider

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
30-09-2014, 01:13 PM
(28-09-2014 12:39 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
http://news.msn.com/world/hong-kong-reso...r-warnings

The Pro-democracy protests are increasing in size and scope in the semi-autonomous Island city of Hong Kong. Months of student protests have grown. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I couldn't get the link to work, it showed a different article.

Thanks tho for the synopsis so at least i kinda know what it's about.

I will be interesting to see how it plays out...but I have this nagging feeling it won't be well.

I hope I'm wrong...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

30-09-2014, 02:57 PM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2014 03:01 PM by yakherder.)
A very interesting perspective. Short version: China doesn't really give a shit about whether or not Hong Kong is Democratic. The leadership of China was intentionally trying to cause strife in Hong Kong as a political tool in the fight amongst themselves.

The people of Hong Kong should, nonetheless, continue to take the threat seriously. Perhaps more so. This has the potential to be much worse than they expect.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
30-09-2014, 08:11 PM
(29-09-2014 11:58 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(29-09-2014 10:56 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  This is China we're talking about.

Sometimes that's what it takes, though. In the Tian An Men square protests, there were thousands of protestors involved. Who's the one we still remember? Tank man, of course. That's the kind of courage it takes to achieve results. Anything you fear can be used as leverage against you.

If people are not willing to die for their cause, and those standing in their way have the ability to take their lives without reprisal, then they've already lost.

I'm not saying what they should or shouldn't do, but they've got a choice to make, and I'd rather see them thinking things through and acting with a purpose rather than simply causing a disturbance without any concept of how doing so is going to help them achieve their objective.

I get what you're saying... But did "Tank Man" change anything?

In the free world, the image is iconic, but is it well known inside China?

From what I've heard, there's a media blackout on this story... Obviously you can't keep a lid on things in this age of the internet, but I just can't see it spreading very far.

I'd love to think that China will become a full democracy, because its clearly headed for greatness, and it could be even greater if only its people were given the freedoms we take for granted in the West.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user