Hong Kong fights against tyranny

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2014, 08:19 PM
RE: Hong Kong fights against tyranny
(30-09-2014 08:11 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(29-09-2014 11:58 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Sometimes that's what it takes, though. In the Tian An Men square protests, there were thousands of protestors involved. Who's the one we still remember? Tank man, of course. That's the kind of courage it takes to achieve results. Anything you fear can be used as leverage against you.

If people are not willing to die for their cause, and those standing in their way have the ability to take their lives without reprisal, then they've already lost.

I'm not saying what they should or shouldn't do, but they've got a choice to make, and I'd rather see them thinking things through and acting with a purpose rather than simply causing a disturbance without any concept of how doing so is going to help them achieve their objective.

I get what you're saying... But did "Tank Man" change anything?

In the free world, the image is iconic, but is it well known inside China?

From what I've heard, there's a media blackout on this story... Obviously you can't keep a lid on things in this age of the internet, but I just can't see it spreading very far.

I'd love to think that China will become a full democracy, because its clearly headed for greatness, and it could be even greater if only its people were given the freedoms we take for granted in the West.

Pretty much any student in China who is even somewhat tech savvy knows how to circumvent the "Great Firewall of China," and it is done regularly. Much of the general population might be uninterested, but the pro Democracy movement still maintains momentum leftover from Tian An Men.

It is indeed hard to measure how much changed as a result, however, because we obviously don't have an alternate reality to compare it to.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2014, 07:47 AM
Quote:Tian An Men.

I'm not sure if you're aware you're spelling it wrong...
01-10-2014, 09:48 AM
The correct spelling is 天安门. 天 is pronounced tian, 安 is pronounced an, and 门 is pronounced men. I guess it depends on which version of romanization you go by. I'm using pinyin.

'Murican Canadian
02-10-2014, 07:20 AM
No no, you're spelling it right, you're just not spelling it right.
Tiananmen Square not Tian An Men Square.
02-10-2014, 07:33 AM
(02-10-2014 07:20 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  No no, you're spelling it right, you're just not spelling it right.
Tiananmen Square not Tian An Men Square.

No no no, it's spelled "Raymond Luxury Yacht", but it's pronounced "Throat Warbler Mangrove".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Noted Tongue

'Murican Canadian
02-10-2014, 08:42 AM
I think to even be talking about Tiananmen square is to misunderstand Hong Kong. Hong Kong is owned by China and its leaders are appointed by China, but it's a SAR - perhaps the most special of the Special Administrative Regions. The people of Hong Kong are ethnically Chinese but culturally have little connection to the goings on in mainland China. The history and conditions are very different, and Beijing seem more or less happy to keep it that way.

Hong Kong has its own passports and government. It has its own borders. Mainland Chinese people can't just travel to Hong Kong. The conditions there are very different to the mainland.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.