Honor Killing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2017, 08:25 AM
Honor Killing
Not just for Muslims anymore. The question is: Do we call it "honor killing" when it is a Muslim or Hindu family, but call it "domestic violence" when it involves Christians?

Quote:The United Nations estimates that there are over 5,000 honor killings around the world each year. However, because these crimes are vastly underreported, the number may actually be much higher. Independent women’s advocacy groups put the number closer to 20,000 killings per year. Nearly all are religiously-motivated, and involve fundamentalist sects of Islam and Hinduism.

In that sense, Henriette’s killing bucks the trend; the crime was committed by a Christian – a religious group not known for honor killings. Could that be why authorities have been hesitant to classify it as such? Could their own preconceptions about honor killings be clouding their judgment?

Although Muslims and Hindus are the most frequent perpetrators of honor killings, perhaps the murder of Henriette Kara is proof that the capacity for callous violence is not limited to any one religion or culture.

https://www.themonastery.org/blog/2017/0...HF0tvuo.99

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
02-08-2017, 09:25 AM
RE: Honor Killing
(02-08-2017 08:25 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Not just for Muslims anymore. The question is: Do we call it "honor killing" when it is a Muslim or Hindu family, but call it "domestic violence" when it involves Christians?

Quote:The United Nations estimates that there are over 5,000 honor killings around the world each year. However, because these crimes are vastly underreported, the number may actually be much higher. Independent women’s advocacy groups put the number closer to 20,000 killings per year. Nearly all are religiously-motivated, and involve fundamentalist sects of Islam and Hinduism.

In that sense, Henriette’s killing bucks the trend; the crime was committed by a Christian – a religious group not known for honor killings. Could that be why authorities have been hesitant to classify it as such? Could their own preconceptions about honor killings be clouding their judgment?

Although Muslims and Hindus are the most frequent perpetrators of honor killings, perhaps the murder of Henriette Kara is proof that the capacity for callous violence is not limited to any one religion or culture.

This is quite ridiculous but when you subvert your intellect that far this is the kind of stuff you end up with.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
02-08-2017, 10:35 AM
(02-08-2017 08:25 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Not just for Muslims anymore. The question is: Do we call it "honor killing" when it is a Muslim or Hindu family, but call it "domestic violence" when it involves Christians?

Faith and force are corollaries. It's why faith is not harmless. It leads to violence whether it is of the religious type or other.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
02-08-2017, 10:40 AM
This claim is nonsensical...

Quote:The murder of Henriette Kara is proof that the capacity for callous violence is not limited to any one religion or culture.

Kara's case was obviously an outlier—a once-off Christian killing—and should be disregarded statistically in counting so-called honour killing numbers. I note that her father, 58-year-old Sami, also had a history of domestic violence and drug dealing, which have to be considered as part of his disturbed mindset at the time.

To extrapolate this single incident to include Christianity in the lexicon of honour killings is obviously erroneous.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
02-08-2017, 11:30 AM

I would guess most domestic violence situations are jealous unstable enraged man upset about something relating to his wife or girlfriend, not his daughter or his sister. "Honor killing" is a fairly specific term, to open it up as an umbrella term doesn't add clarity to understanding it or solving it.

03-08-2017, 10:33 PM
As a former Muslim I find it astonishing anybody keeps associating honor killing with Muslims. It primarily occurs in desi cultures and is a very Hindu thing to do. Going up and down Sahih Bukhari or any of the Kutub al-Sittah you will find no mentioning of honor killing.

Crazy you say?
Wouldn't a crazy man ask another man if he was crazy?! Hobo
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Slave's post
04-08-2017, 08:17 AM
(03-08-2017 10:33 PM)Mr. Slave Wrote:  As a former Muslim I find it astonishing anybody keeps associating honor killing with Muslims. It primarily occurs in desi cultures and is a very Hindu thing to do. Going up and down Sahih Bukhari or any of the Kutub al-Sittah you will find no mentioning of honor killing.
I think all this stuff blurs in a lot of people's minds. Most in the West are pretty ignorant of Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and all those "other" isms. Particularly when stories of honor killings come out of regions where Muslims and Hindus exist in close proximity or in mixed societies, the worst excesses become attached to the biggest perceived existential threat, which is currently Islam.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
04-08-2017, 08:33 AM
(03-08-2017 10:33 PM)Mr. Slave Wrote:  As a former Muslim I find it astonishing anybody keeps associating honor killing with Muslims. It primarily occurs in desi cultures and is a very Hindu thing to do. Going up and down Sahih Bukhari or any of the Kutub al-Sittah you will find no mentioning of honor killing.

Um if you read the original op it says "worldwide". I agree human cruelty is not however a patent solely owned by Islam. But Islam too does have members whom use their holy writings, as will all religions, to justify cruelty to others.

Honor killings were quite common in Christianity and in some narrow sects in Africa and South America also still do it.

Not even Buddhism escapes sexism. But rape and victim blaming of girls women is not unique to Arab states,

It can be said however, that there still is far too much political theocracy going on in Arab states justified by religion. No, that does not justify our American far right push to turn back the clock on minority/women rights.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2017, 09:22 AM

Places in Southern and Southeastern Europe, such as Korsika or Albania, have also been famous for it. I'm pretty sure it's still a problem authorities keep battling.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
04-08-2017, 01:48 PM
IMO, there is never any honour in killing.
Full Stop.
(It may be necessary but it is never honourable).

That said, I've always thought of honour killing (as described above) as associated with a highly misogynistic culture, rather than any particular religion.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 3 users Like Reducetarian's post