Honour Killings: Not just for Muslims

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2012, 03:34 AM
Honour Killings: Not just for Muslims
Article from The Independent

It was horrifying to read, and yet I couldn't stop going through the accounts of all these horrible things done to women (and some men) in the name of honour. Funny how you don't hear about atheists murdering their own daughters for their family honour.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2012, 04:44 AM
RE: Honour Killings: Not just for Muslims
A truly gut-churning article.

I wonder where the doctrine of "honour thy father and mother" could have come from?
I wonder where the concept of women being inferior to men and being the property of men and being punishable for disobedience could have come from?
How many of the countries mentioned in the article have signed the Declaration of Human Rights?

Many of my moderate, religious friends would argue that these things don't happen in more enlightened countries like Malaysia but ...

"By failing to live by the letter of the texts, while tolerating the irrationality of those who do, religious moderates betray faith and reason equally." - Sam Harris

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
09-07-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm at a loss for words. Sad

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
10-07-2012, 08:08 PM
I have a daughter and could not imagine what could comple me to kill her and my infant grandchild and leave them in a ditch.
I would have to be completely insane, or deeply religious - or both.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post