Hooked: Pokies are Designed to be Addictive

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2017, 11:17 AM
Hooked: Pokies are Designed to be Addictive
Interesting infographic about pokies (slot machines in US) addiction and the way they're rigged, from The Guardian Australia...

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne...-addictive

(Better to use scroll wheel or grab bar to advance screens; their "down" arrow jumps pages)

As someone who never gambles, I've never quite understood how or why intelligent, healthy, mentally stable people get addicted to playing the slots. For some it leads to bankruptcy, the loss of their home or job, divorce, suicide... the whole ball game in extreme cases.

And I can't see playing the slots as a "genuine" addiction such as heroin or tobacco, or alcohol or painkillers etc—which all work primarily on the brain centre and cause mental or physical impairment.

I also can't understand what pleasure a slot player derives from sitting on a stool in front of an electronic display, in a darkened room, bombarded with electronically-generated sound effects, and surrounded by dozens of other people hunched over their machine doing exactly the same thing. What a boring fucking pastime!

Why doesn't the venue just have a locked bin inside their door, into which you can slip your banknotes, walk out straight away, and potentially regain days of true leisure time? Tongue

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2017, 11:41 AM
RE: Hooked: Pokies are Designed to be Addictive
(12-10-2017 11:17 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Interesting infographic about pokies (slot machines in US) addiction and the way they're rigged, from The Guardian Australia...

(Better to use scroll wheel or grab bar to advance screens; their "down" arrow jumps pages)

As someone who never gambles, I've never quite understood how or why intelligent, healthy, mentally stable people get addicted to playing the slots. For some it leads to bankruptcy, the loss of their home or job, divorce, suicide... the whole ball game in extreme cases.

And I can't see playing the slots as a "genuine" addiction such as heroin or tobacco, or alcohol or painkillers etc—which all work primarily on the brain centre and cause mental or physical impairment.

I also can't understand what pleasure a slot player derives from sitting on a stool in front of an electronic display, in a darkened room, bombarded with electronically-generated sound effects, and surrounded by dozens of other people hunched over their machine doing exactly the same thing. What a boring fucking pastime!

Why doesn't the venue just have a locked bin inside their door, into which you can slip your banknotes, walk out straight away, and potentially regain days of true leisure time? Tongue

It's plain and simply the fascination we humans have with trying to assign patterns to randomness.

"This machine is way overdue to pay".
"I got this combo 20 times now - next time it's due to change".
"Every time x,y,and z happen, the machine pays".
"I brought my lucky doll. If I wipe the screen with it, the machine will become lucky".
It hasn't paid in half an hour of play, I'll be so disappointed if I get up now and the next guy spins the win".
"I am on a winning streak, I have won 10 times in a row, next time it will be a big one."

Most machines are programmed to pay back between 70 and 80% of money gambled. So you have lots and lots of small wins built in. This keeps people trying for the big one. Also, some of them are kind of hypnotic. And the new ones today play like computer games, with story lines and the whole bit, designed for the younger generation.

Video poker has some rules you can follow to have a better outcome overall. Most players don't bother to research those rules, so they lose even worse on video poker. Some players can sit there for hours and walk away with some profit because they play as rationally as possible.

The shooter from Mandalay bay said he wagered over a million in one night on video Poker. Not played away, wagered. Since you get 80% of your money back as you play, wagering isn't like playing away, it's re-playing the same money over and over, losing some along the way. Few people would gamble if there wasn't a steady "winning" return that makes them hope for a better one next time.

Blackjack has even more rational rules, and if you are prepared to walk away asap when you are up, you can make some money there. Without counting.
Poker is not a game of chance at all, that is why you have some people win tournament after tournament.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
12-10-2017, 11:45 AM
(12-10-2017 11:17 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Interesting infographic about pokies (slot machines in US) addiction and the way they're rigged, from The Guardian Australia...

In the US a pokie (or rather pokey) is a slang term for jail. Smile

But I agree with you on the gambling thing. I don't gamble, I don't get the draw, and I don't understand how people can get so pulled into this that they lose all their money, and even go into debt. Yet, I've seen this happen to people. It's not just slot machines, but also card games, and horse races.

At least with cards and horses, there's some skill or knowledge required of the gambler. With slots, it's just mind-numbing repetition.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
12-10-2017, 11:58 AM
My man plays craps.

I do slots, because they’re fun. I have never “won” but I usually don’t lose much either.

The lights and sounds, give a jolt of endorphins, which has been found to be addictive.

But I’ll call bullshit on the rigged part. You have to play smart and know when walk away to a different machine.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

12-10-2017, 12:08 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2017 12:15 PM by Dom.)
(12-10-2017 11:58 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My man plays craps.

I do slots, because they’re fun. I have never “won” but I usually don’t lose much either.

The lights and sounds, give a jolt of endorphins, which has been found to be addictive.

But I’ll call bullshit on the rigged part. You have to play smart and know when walk away to a different machine.

I agree, all the games can be a ton of fun. Having gone to so many Vegas conventions, I spent some time checking into the rationale, as well as playing around a bit.

Here you can find odds and strategies: https://wizardofodds.com/games/

Oh, and there are ways to play craps that increase the likelihood of winning. The above link should have them...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-10-2017, 12:21 PM

Yeah, I hear you on that. My mother likes to play the slots. She goes a couple of times a year, probably. I think she caps herself off at $20. If she's lost $20, then she regards that as a huge loss. Ooooh, but sometimes she's up $10!!! To me, that's a perfectly healthy past time. Her $20 would otherwise be spent on some other entertainment.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
12-10-2017, 12:23 PM
(12-10-2017 12:21 PM)Aliza Wrote:  

Yeah, I hear you on that. My mother likes to play the slots. She goes a couple of times a year, probably. I think she caps herself off at $20. If she's lost $20, then she regards that as a huge loss. Ooooh, but sometimes she's up $10!!! To me, that's a perfectly healthy past time. Her $20 would otherwise be spent on some other entertainment.

Not everyone gets addicted, only a small percentage do. Like not everyone who likes wine with dinner becomes an alcoholic.

12-10-2017, 12:43 PM
(12-10-2017 11:45 AM)Aliza Wrote:  In the US a pokie (or rather pokey) is a slang term for jail. Smile

In Canada, a pokie (or rather pocky) is a bread stick dipped in chocolat. It's also addictive because it's delicious.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
12-10-2017, 12:54 PM
(12-10-2017 12:43 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(12-10-2017 11:45 AM)Aliza Wrote:  In the US a pokie (or rather pokey) is a slang term for jail. Smile

In Canada, a pokie (or rather pocky) is a bread stick dipped in chocolat. It's also addictive because it's delicious.

Cool! That's one I've never heard of.
12-10-2017, 02:00 PM

Rigged may not be the right word, but they are programmed to pay out less than they take in, and to dole the wins out just often enough to keep people playing them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user