Horoscope

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2014, 09:28 AM
RE: Horoscope
Well, I went and looked it up, I am a double Sagittarius.

I think that means you better watch out, folks.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
15-01-2014, 09:58 AM
(15-01-2014 09:28 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, I went and looked it up, I am a double Sagittarius.

So is my husband. No wonder I like you so much. Buwwaahaaaaa

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
15-01-2014, 11:49 AM
(15-01-2014 07:51 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 04:26 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I've asked a couple of dozen people who believe in the horoscope woo to guess my sign. The odds of that happening aren't too astronomical - However, of the approximately half-dozen people willing to indulge me further they guessed my sign incorrectly 11 times in a row, leaving only my true sign as the remaining option.
A modern astrologer wouldn't guess. The modern astrology is not about predicting the future or guessing what are you like, it's about identifying your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats and solutions. Also, transit analysis is kind of a "weather forecast".
You can think of a horoscope as a lock, but you are the key, you hold all the right answers. Modern astrologers should admit that outright. A modern astrologer should change the interpretation according to your level of development, age, gender, intelligence... Most astrologers believe that generalizations and rules are possible, but only in retrospect.
IOW, the claims went way down since the medieval times and a modern astrologer is more of a psychologist who isn't just trying to cold-read you, he outright asks about everything. Modern astrologers should not want to play Where's Waldo with you.

Soooo...what you are saying is...An Astrologer is a psychologist, but without a degree or any kind of education at any accredited place of education with a belief that the position of certain celestial bodies somehow meaningfully affects the behavior of particular animals on planet earth through some sort of invisible force, and they can determine that without any measuring tools whatsoever. Additionally, they are only qualified or respectable if they don't know my date of birth. Riiiigght.

15-01-2014, 12:08 PM
(15-01-2014 09:28 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, I went and looked it up, I am a double Sagittarius.

No, it means I will laugh at you twice as much. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2014, 12:11 PM
I am Taurus - Aries. That's a lot of horns. Consider

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
15-01-2014, 02:47 PM
(15-01-2014 08:22 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 08:18 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Fixt Thumbsup

But fricking weird as shit when they are Dead-On, Straight-Up 100% correct - huh?

Cool

Sure, but that's just confirmation bias, exactly the same thing that makes miracles happen and prayer effective. Ignoring the negative results.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
15-01-2014, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2014 03:04 PM by Luminon.)
(15-01-2014 11:49 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Soooo...what you are saying is...An Astrologer is a psychologist, but without a degree or any kind of education at any accredited place of education with a belief that the position of certain celestial bodies somehow meaningfully affects the behavior of particular animals on planet earth through some sort of invisible force, and they can determine that without any measuring tools whatsoever. Additionally, they are only qualified or respectable if they don't know my date of birth. Riiiigght.
What? An exact opposite. Astrologers must have your date of birth, ideally even the minute. And place of birth, of course. If they don't want this information, they're not doing it right.
However, astrologers don't pretend to understand what they're doing to details of physics, they're just using the method and inductively derived rules over the time.

As for the academical knowledge, I do not believe academical psychology or any humanities are qualitatively different from the knowledge we gain by living and careful observation of people.
Furthermore, astrologers are not limited by certain philosophical and methodological problems that academical science has. In other words, they are better equipped to deal with the unknown and uncontrolled, for the purpose of working with a person. They may not demonstrate control in a laboratory, but for help in life attitude issues their method is adequate.
The main working instrument of every astrologer is the astrologer's life experience. For example, I am not a good astrologer, because I haven't yet lived through some areas of life and horoscope such as family or career, many of the themes are unfamiliar to me.

But how is it supposed t work? Astrology makes an assumption that the space is full of energetic fields of planetary bodies and cosmic rays and that these interact together geometrically, inhibiting or stimulate each other, depending on angle towards Earth. Their radiation is constantly present of course, but it's the variations that count. Variations in frequency of orbit, for example, producing resonance or dissonance of archetypes we give to planets. (octave-like similarity in orbital period counts) Astrologers regard these as "cosmic weather" and they believe that human nerve apparatus responds to them in some way, all the matter of our bodies is ever conditioned by these processes. Our bodies respond to them based on their geometrically determined impact upon Earth's magnetic field and our position on Earth at the time. Our brains evolved to accommodate and integrate these kinds of impulses as cultural archetypes. So in practice all astrologers need to know is the person, exact time and place of birth and some software to project the geometry of celestial positions to see if their fields or rays or whatever impact Earth from a harmonious or disharmonious angle. Astrological aspects are given by dividing a circle by a whole number.

I wish scientists could observe the flow of energy in the solar system. I mean all the cosmic radiation, the solar wind and EM field, the EM fields of planets including Earth, and interactions between all of these. Of course, Earth's field, magnetosheath and those of other planets must also be considered. If scientists could somehow display and simulate these, then they could properly test the claims of astrology, such as there are free flow or restricted flow interactions between planets of a given triangle, depending on the angle they have mutually to a given planet. The "energy" mentioned may be magnetic flux interchange, for example. Then all scientists would need to find is an effect of this magnetic flux or its effects on geomagnetic field and subsequently human brain cells. Human psychology and culture would then furnish the rest of the archetype to otherwise quite an impersonal and simple cosmic force and act as a powerful subconscious stimulus.

This is as real as astrology can possibly get, which is very real if claims and hypotheses are set right. So far they weren't set right, because neither scientists nor astrologers really understood astrology and obviously, astrologers didn't know astrophysics. But I'm telling you, the most that it can be is basically a cosmic weather forecast and it's raining a brain-interfering EM radiation. Of course all brains are different and they'll react differently, so reading the effects from people's behavior is taking it from the wrong end.
[Image: magneticFiled.jpg]
Seriously, the planet's making some huge-ass impact on the sky.
"If you could 'see' the magnetosphere of Jupiter from Earth, it would be about the size of the full Moon," the article says. Now tell me, why didn't any skeptic consider that as a possible mechanism of astrological influences? Why did they all begin and end with gravity fields?
[Image: 071009-jup-magnetotail-02.jpg]
15-01-2014, 02:51 PM
My rising sign is Gemini apparently.

Dual fish + Dual man = I am Aquaman^2

KNEEL TO ME!
15-01-2014, 02:53 PM
(15-01-2014 12:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  

No, it means I will laugh at you twice as much. Big Grin

Just don't get in the way of my bows and arrows then....Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-01-2014, 02:56 PM
(15-01-2014 02:48 PM)Luminon Wrote:  What? An exact opposite. Astrologers must have your date of birth, ideally even the minute. And place of birth, of course. If they don't want this information, they're not doing it right.

"Not doing it right" Laugh out load You are a freakin' riot. Clap

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user