Horus = Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Horus = Jesus?
I'm sure plenty of you have heard how similar the stories of Horus (the Egyptian Sun God) and Jesus are. But there seems to be quite a bit of false information out there about Horus' stories. It seems to me like someone started saying his story was like Jesus' and then more people started saying it and now we have something for Christians to use against us.

If anyone has some reliable sources for Horus' alleged similarities of Jesus, could you please link them here for us?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2012, 06:00 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 06:15 AM by Ghost.)
RE: Horus = Jesus?
Sup, Ethan?

I watched Zeitgeist with a Christian minister. There's a long section about the similarities between Jesus and other religious figures. This minister didn't have any serious complaints with the comparison (although Zeitgeist is a wonky movie with dubious facts).

Douglas Campbell (On Edit: Sorry. JOSEPH Campbell. Douglas Campbell was a famous British-born Canadian actor) wrote a book called The Hero With A Thousand Faces. He did a cross-cultural study and discovered that ALL hero stories, across all cultures, followed similar steps; a process he called the Hero's Journey, or Monomyth: This process is followed from Jesus, to Gilgamesh, to Horus, to the Bhagavad-Gita, to Star Wars, the Matrix, Avatar and the new Thor movie. Here's an even longer list of monomyths. Seriously. Re-watch one of these movies and watch how closely they stick to these steps.

So for me the question is not "are there similarities between Jesus and Horus?" There are. The question is:
1 - Are heroes only considered heroes in the human mind IF they follow this pattern, ie, did Jesus follow this pattern and it's because of that that we recognise him as a heroic figure?
2 - Did the story exist centuries before Christ and it's simply traveled through time, being modified here and there, ie, Jesus is simply the standard monomyth adapted for Judea, or did Jesus exist and this template was stamped onto his actions exaggeration style?
3 - Is there a supernatural hero who takes different forms and performs the same tasks throughout history and all of the monomyths are simply culturally relative accounts of this beings exploits?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 3 users Like Ghost's post
12-04-2012, 06:13 AM
The difference is that Horus is real. Big Grin

Yeah, there's a pile of youtube on the matter. Not interesting enough to get my ass to a library, however.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-04-2012, 06:19 AM
Love Joe Campbell. Also like the stuff on the Mother Goddess, (re Mary etc). I have the Hero with a Thousand Faces on tape, and suspect most of his vids with Bill Moyers are available on the PBS website.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
12-04-2012, 06:45 AM
If you haven't read Joseph Campbell, do it NOW.
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
12-04-2012, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 09:37 AM by Magoo.)
What I have read about the lives of Horus and Jesus clearly shows how much the bible is just a copy and another version of the story's of Horus. However, whether or not the sources I got them from were reliable, is what I'm unsure about.
12-04-2012, 02:18 PM

When are atheists (and Christians for that matter) ever going to learn: It doesn't matter if Jesus existed or not. I think it's more than obvious that he did, given his impact on the world, but even if he never did, it doesn't matter. He doesn't exist now in the physical world. All we have is the story of him in the Gospel. We believe in the Jesus of the Gospel. We don't know anything about the real Jesus other than the Gospel. But on a spiritual level, the Gospel still changes a person into the spirit of Christ. They are still reborn and reborn based on what they read and understand which speaks to them spiritually. Jesus is the way to God. It's all about God, not about Jesus, per se. It's all about how we find our way to the Father. Jesus, as we know him in the Gospel (particularly the Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ), is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. What happened two thousand years ago is irrelevant. And it really doesn't matter what you call Jesus. You can call him Horus, or Buddha, or Krishna. If the message is the same as it is in the Gospels, you can call him what you want. In the Gospels of the New Testament in the Holy Bible, he is called Immanuel, Son of God, Son of Man, Jesus, Jesus Christ, The Messiah, The good shepherd, and more; some even think he's John the Baptist risen from the dead. You could change all the names in the Gospel and the message would still be the same. It is eternal. Why do you think Jesus never author anything? Why do you think all his miracles are both miraculous and symbolic at the same time. Why do you think he wrote in the dirt? Consider the symbolism of that.

There are principles of the spirit of Christ, and that's a topic that is on my list of books to write. As long as those principles are present in a person's belief system, it doesn't matter what they call Jesus Christ or what main religious form they take (Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, or in my case, Christianity).

You atheists fight with the air. You shadow box. You want to break down false religions, but you don't have the intellect to create a new one.

PS. I'm going to write this up as a story on my blog, what Electric Ethan said as well as my reply. This is a good topic of interest.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
12-04-2012, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 03:56 PM by Glaucus.)
(12-04-2012 02:18 PM)Egor Wrote:  When are atheists (and Christians for that matter) ...

Your certainty about your new religion's superiority is so adorable Shy

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2012, 03:40 PM
This Egor guy is up his own ass, eh?

Thanks for the responses guys.
12-04-2012, 04:05 PM

(12-04-2012 03:12 PM)Glaucus Wrote:  Your certainty about your new religion's superiority is so adorable Shy

My religion is very simple: A Veridican follows the life and teachings of Jesus Christ as recorded in the VGJC. That's it. My religion is the teachings of Jesus Christ. I'm like one of the first disciples. You should be, too.

(12-04-2012 03:40 PM)ElectricEthan Wrote:  This Egor guy is up his own ass, eh?

Thanks for the responses guys.

I can't address his reply, so I'll just insult the guy! Hobo

Aren't you a winner. Dodgy
Quote this message in a reply