Horus = Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2012, 04:13 PM
RE: Horus = Jesus?
(11-04-2012 07:51 PM)ElectricEthan Wrote:  I'm sure plenty of you have heard how similar the stories of Horus (the Egyptian Sun God) and Jesus are. But there seems to be quite a bit of false information out there about Horus' stories. It seems to me like someone started saying his story was like Jesus' and then more people started saying it and now we have something for Christians to use against us.

If anyone has some reliable sources for Horus' alleged similarities of Jesus, could you please link them here for us?
Yes, they do use the Zeitgeist or other stuff to try and discredit the argument.
Does it really matter? There is nothing unique about JC (the sun) and the 12 zodiacs.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2012, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 04:35 PM by Glaucus.)
(12-04-2012 04:05 PM)Egor Wrote:  My religion is very simple: A Veridican follows the life and teachings of Jesus Christ as recorded in the VGJC. That's it. My religion is the teachings of Jesus Christ. I'm like one of the first disciples. You should be, too.
Sounds a lot like something Joseph Smith would've said: "A Mormon follows the life and teachings of Jesus Christ as recorded in the Book of Mormon. That's it. My religion is the teachings of Jesus Christ. " But I'll pass on being a disciple, last time I was a part of a (relatively) new religion I ended up wearing magic underwear, thinking black people were cursed, and hoping that I'd get to be god of my own planet when I died.

I can't shake the feeling, and I don't know why, but watching you promote/defend your Veridicanism reminds me of that youtube video about a baby monkey riding a pig.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2012, 04:27 PM
(12-04-2012 02:18 PM)Egor Wrote:  There are principles of the spirit of Christ, and that's a topic that is on my list of books to write....but you don't have the intellect to create a new one.

PS. I'm going to write this up as a story on my blog, what Electric Ethan said as well as my reply. This is a good topic of interest.

Well, good golly, Miss Molly. He's gonna write another book, and enlighten us poor fools. We'll all be sure and run out and get it ... NOT. We're just too dumb to start a new religion. Oh...he is SO smart. He IS good for a laugh, even if nothing else. Einstein

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
12-04-2012, 04:56 PM

(12-04-2012 04:26 PM)Glaucus Wrote:  Sounds a lot like something Joseph Smith would've said: "A Mormon follows the life and teachings of Jesus Christ as recorded in the Book of Mormon. That's it. My religion is the teachings of Jesus Christ. " But I'll pass on being a disciple, last time I was a part of a (relatively) new religion I ended up wearing magic underwear, thinking black people were cursed, and hoping that I'd get to be god of my own planet when I died.

The Book of Mormon is a completely different story. The Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ is a synthesis of the NT Gospels and the Gospel of Thomas. The synthesis is original, the words are not.

(12-04-2012 04:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Well, good golly, Miss Molly. He's gonna write another book, and enlighten us poor fools. We'll all be sure and run out and get it ... NOT. We're just too dumb to start a new religion. Oh...he is SO smart. He IS good for a laugh, even if nothing else. Einstein

There's going to be lots and lots of books.
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2012, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 05:19 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(12-04-2012 04:56 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(12-04-2012 04:26 PM)Glaucus Wrote:  Sounds a lot like something Joseph Smith would've said: "A Mormon follows the life and teachings of Jesus Christ as recorded in the Book of Mormon. That's it. My religion is the teachings of Jesus Christ. " But I'll pass on being a disciple, last time I was a part of a (relatively) new religion I ended up wearing magic underwear, thinking black people were cursed, and hoping that I'd get to be god of my own planet when I died.

The Book of Mormon is a completely different story. The Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ is a synthesis of the NT Gospels and the Gospel of Thomas. The synthesis is original, the words are not.

(12-04-2012 04:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Well, good golly, Miss Molly. He's gonna write another book, and enlighten us poor fools. We'll all be sure and run out and get it ... NOT. We're just too dumb to start a new religion. Oh...he is SO smart. He IS good for a laugh, even if nothing else. Einstein

There's going to be lots and lots of books.

Well yippy skippy. The world is in desperate need of humor, (and easy to debunk arguments for beginners in critical thinking). Tongue

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
12-04-2012, 05:24 PM
(12-04-2012 02:18 PM)Egor Wrote:  You atheists fight with the air. You shadow box. You want to break down false religions, but you don't have the intellect to create a new one.

It's all good and dandy having someone say good things like 'treat your neighbour as you would yourself' etc blah blah blah but at the core of it when Christianity falls on the burden of proof then the whole effort is pointless. Do a couple of sayings really need mega churches or lunatics threatening people will hell? do you really need religion having such a large influence on everyday society? unfortunately a lot of bad comes from it also.

Creating a religion does not speak for your intellect. It's the equivalent of writing a story book but instead you've stuck the word holy in front of it. If I synthesised the very hungry caterpillar with a collection of other famous stories, would you applaud me for creating a new religion? no, you'd probably call me crazy.

Shadow boxing... lol Egor go away

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
12-04-2012, 05:46 PM

(12-04-2012 05:10 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Well yippy skippy. The world is in desperate need of humor, (and easy to debunk arguments for beginners in critical thinking). Tongue

Mmmm. I'll bet I can push you to faith in the form of "We don't know but one day science will tell us." in about ten seconds. Don't even talk to me about critical thinking skills. Drinking Beverage
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2012, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 07:05 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(12-04-2012 05:46 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(12-04-2012 05:10 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Well yippy skippy. The world is in desperate need of humor, (and easy to debunk arguments for beginners in critical thinking). Tongue

Mmmm. I'll bet I can push you to faith in the form of "We don't know but one day science will tell us." in about ten seconds. Don't even talk to me about critical thinking skills. Drinking Beverage

Not to worry. With some, critical thinking is off the table... not sure which is worse, your very first post, or the astounding arrogance of someone thinking they could "improve" the gospels, without destroying their original content. Do you know how many lifetimes of scholarship have been spent, studying them ? BTW, who is your favorite NT scholar, and OT scholar ? theologian ? philospher ? cosmologist ? How many summers have you spent digging in the Near East ? Weeping

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-04-2012, 07:00 PM
(12-04-2012 03:12 PM)Glaucus Wrote:  
(12-04-2012 02:18 PM)Egor Wrote:  When are atheists (and Christians for that matter) ...

Your certainty about your new religion's superiority is so adorable Shy

They're so cute at that age.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
07-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Wikipedia it. You will be surprised how accurate the sources are on the similarities between Horus and Jesus. I've studied this issue for a will. In the 18th century archeologists uncovered the story of Horus in studying the Egyptian hylographs. The uncanny similarities between the two are almost unbelievable. So is with Mythras, Attis and others. It is good to check the facts though.

Here area couple of reference I got from a sit that covered the similarities between Horus and Jesus.

Tom Harpur, "The Pagan Christ; Recovering the Lost Light," Thomas Allen, (2004) and The Ritual "The Egyptian book of the dead", If you go to the wikipedia site on this issue you will get even more references. Including the archeologist ones.

I hope these help.
(11-04-2012 07:51 PM)ElectricEthan Wrote:  I'm sure plenty of you have heard how similar the stories of Horus (the Egyptian Sun God) and Jesus are. But there seems to be quite a bit of false information out there about Horus' stories. It seems to me like someone started saying his story was like Jesus' and then more people started saying it and now we have something for Christians to use against us.

If anyone has some reliable sources for Horus' alleged similarities of Jesus, could you please link them here for us?