Horus and Mithra

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Horus and Mithra
There is allot of claims that the story of Jesus was simply a retelling of the stories of Horus and Mithra. Please share your credible sources with me. I'm having a hard time compiling a good trust worthy set of sources. No opinion based or non-cited articles please, text books are fantastic, historical research yields greatness points, likes and ego stroking for 5 mins.
Much Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2014, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2014 10:25 AM by houseofcantor.)
RE: Horus and Mithra
(17-03-2014 09:59 AM)Thisismyusername Wrote:  I'm having a hard time compiling a good trust worthy set of sources.

Because there ain't any. Dodgy

Here's The Hero Pattern.

Here's The Papyrus of Ani.

That should keep you busy for a minute. Tongue

(And there's only a couple of Mithras scholars in the world, whose collective answer would be referred to in my first line.)

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-03-2014, 10:42 AM
One needs to be aware - and dismissive - of direct comparisons by pseudo-scholars who are out to make a buck by selling books.

Nonetheless, there were plenty of dying and resurrected vegetation gods/goddesses in the Ancient World and jesus was merely the last one and had the most chrome on the bumper.

Tammuz, Adonis, Persephone, Attis, Proserpina, etc. Don't look for specific analogies to the much later jesus-myth. Just look on it as the same old shit told in different ways.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
17-03-2014, 10:43 AM
(17-03-2014 10:15 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(17-03-2014 09:59 AM)Thisismyusername Wrote:  I'm having a hard time compiling a good trust worthy set of sources.

Because there ain't any. Dodgy

Here's The Hero Pattern.

(And there's only a couple of Mithras scholars in the world, whose collective answer would be referred to in my first line.)

I made a huge mistake believing my anti-god history professor, that lying demon. I literally paid to learn her subjective opinion. The bigger problem is my religious nut friends are waiting for me to provide proof of my argument that the story of Jesus was a forgery. I was sure proof existed and that it wouldn't be hard to find. little did I know...
17-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Refuting Jebus? Check out the link in the OP of this thread.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
17-03-2014, 10:54 AM
(17-03-2014 09:59 AM)Thisismyusername Wrote:  There is allot of claims that the story of Jesus was simply a retelling of the stories of Horus and Mithra. Please share your credible sources with me. I'm having a hard time compiling a good trust worthy set of sources. No opinion based or non-cited articles please, text books are fantastic, historical research yields greatness points, likes and ego stroking for 5 mins.
Much Thanks

(17-03-2014 10:43 AM)Thisismyusername Wrote:  
(17-03-2014 10:15 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Because there ain't any. Dodgy

Here's The Hero Pattern.

I made a huge mistake believing my anti-god history professor, that lying demon. I literally paid to learn her subjective opinion. The bigger problem is my religious nut friends are waiting for me to provide proof of my argument that the story of Jesus was a forgery. I was sure proof existed and that it wouldn't be hard to find. little did I know...

Dodgy

[Image: giphy.gif]
17-03-2014, 11:15 AM
http://www.egyptorigins.org/osirisandjesusII.htm

I'm in the process of critquing this I'll let you all know of the outcomes
17-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Horus and Mithra
I'm betting the Horus comparison comes from Zororastrianism.[Image: y6yqy8yp.jpg]

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
17-03-2014, 12:11 PM
There is very little (if any) direct connection between Jesus and other contemporary religions. There was a common cultural background of mythic archetypes, many of which certainly recur in Jesus (among literally hundreds of others). That is more a sign of Christianity's status as Hellenic-Judaic syncretism.

Certainly there is no clear derivation from the Egyptian religion of antiquity, but more relevant might be the syncretic Hellenistic treatment of Egyptian gods like Horus or Serapis (Serapis is literally Hellenized Osiris) but most importantly Isis. And one might also compare the adoption/reinterpretation of other 'Eastern' deities along similar lines, such as the Anatolian Cybele or Syrian Atargatis, and deification of hero-figures like Zalmoxis, Asklepios, or Herakles. A lot of the Greek side in such syncretism was based on older mystery traditions like those Dionysios or Persephone.

Mithras would be the same situation; the Greco-Roman syncretic Mithras cult was very different and almost entirely removed from the old Aryan and Zoroastrian figure Mitra (and compare pre-Zoroastrian Vahagn/Bahram or Anahit).

A go-to broad reference might be Sarah Johnston's Religions of the Ancient World. People saw the world very differently back then - the lines between religious traditions can be very hard to draw, compared to modern views.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
17-03-2014, 12:15 PM
(17-03-2014 11:37 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  I'm betting the Horus comparison comes from Zororastrianism.

And yet the role of Zoroaster himself was far more like that of Siddharta...

There was some element of cultural transmission all the way from the Celtic peoples in NW Europe to the Dravidians in India even back in the first millennium BC. The parallel development and interplay of Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, and Greek Stoicism, for example...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post