Hospice vs scripture

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2014, 04:37 PM
RE: Hospice vs scripture
I also understand some of the religious fears in a hospice for example family worried that the Doctors put people to death - kind of Euthanasia.

There are actually rules doctors have to follow and complex procedures with consent and discussions with family.

I am familiar with religious laws on Euthanasia (Especially the Jewish, Christian & Islamic) and hospice practice is compatible with these religious laws.
Eg there is something called the law/principle of double effect - you can give pain relief for humane reasons to avoid suffering but know that the pain relief might shorten the persons life as a "side effect" i.e the good effect outweighs the bad effect in circumstances sufficiently grave to justify causing the bad effect and the agent exercises due diligence to minimize the harm.

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_double_effect

This is clearly very different circumstances to injecting someone with large dose of Potassium Chloride, Pancurium Bromide and Sodium Thiopental !!! (triple combination used for death penalty)

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post
14-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Community Care Hospice, the same group that cared for my grandfather, came in to take care of the family friend. I was glad to hear this, but she unfortunately wasn't well enough to leave the rest home where she was staying. She died early Monday morning. I'm glad that she is no longer in pain. The family is attending her funeral on Thursday.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2014, 04:37 PM
(14-01-2014 09:09 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Community Care Hospice, the same group that cared for my grandfather, came in to take care of the family friend. I was glad to hear this, but she unfortunately wasn't well enough to leave the rest home where she was staying. She died early Monday morning. I'm glad that she is no longer in pain. The family is attending her funeral on Thursday.

Well, I got back from the funeral a few hours ago. It was no big surprise to hear some crazy ass shit from grieving people--e.g., heaven has streets of gold and arthritic people will be free of their ills so that they can "kneel before the throne". Of course they were pushing for non-believers to accept Jebus into our hearts. I honestly don't think a funeral is the proper time to proselytize. And of course there was plenty of anti-science rhetoric. The pastor, who was apparently a very close childhood friend of my grandmother, was talking about how the modern world blinds today's youth from the glory of God. "Evidence" is apparently a dirty word to him. He beat his chest and dared any hypothetical scientist to show "this country boy" that he evolved from something that crawled out from underneath a rock. Finally, he claimed the bible was older than "30 million year old fossils" that Satan uses to deceive people from accepting God. I wanted to atomic face palm hard.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2014, 04:46 PM
GE,
My condolences for your loss. WarHorse, not sure what to say, except to wish you and your wife the best. Your real-life problems make the rest of our issues seem petty in comparison. You both demonstrate grace under pressure. More power to you. There must be a ton of folks on this very forum that are facing similar issues, bearing up just as well and all without the crutch of religion.
Regards,
Doc
16-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Warhorse, pm me if you want to talk. I was caretaker for my husband for along time before he eventually passed. You can dump on me anytime you need to.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-01-2014, 06:55 PM
I thought Hospices were about palliative medical care not silly religious carry on. Our local one is run by the Presbyterians but seeing Presbyterians have to be about the most lazy godless group of Christians there are then maybe that is a good thing.

Back in the good old days when my mum was a nurse it was pretty much routine to administer lethal doses of morphine to those at the end of life. Dr signed it off. Patients knew. The family knew. No one saw if as anything but a kindness.
17-01-2014, 05:10 AM
Docskeptic and Dom, thanks guys ! Dom, I might take you up on that when I get a breather. The wife is going to respite care for 5 days next week....boy, do I need the break.

@ Ghostexorcist, my condolences to you too.

@ Pippen, I was contacted by a preacher from Hospice that was also suppose to be a secular person to talk to (Ha, like that would happen here) but I told him that we were not religious, to which he repied "OK, well god bless you" and hung up. He just had to get that in there...... these types of people suck. Sad
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post