Hospital Chaplain was out of line

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2016, 04:12 AM
Hospital Chaplain was out of line
I had some sad news over the weekend. An aunt of mine has been hospitalised for the past few weeks following a stroke but last week had a further massive stroke and is not expected to live much longer.

She can no longer open her eyes or speak but is evidently able to hear. My mother and my cousin (my aunt's daughter) visited her on Sunday and my aunt was able to squeeze her hand to indicate that she could hear them talking to her.

Some years ago my aunt apparently told her daughter that she didn't want any ministers of religion anywhere near her if she was dying. She made it plain that she did not believe in any god or afterlife and that she wanted no prayers or any other incantations.

So while my mum and cousin are sitting at her bedside in walks this hospital chaplain. A few pleasantries are exchanged and he asks about my aunt's condition, then without a by-your-leave, he moves towards my aunt, places his hand on her forehead and recites a prayer. My cousin - already in an emotional state, looked on with disbelief. My mum who was unaware if my aunt's wishes, wondered why my cousin was becoming so upset at this man and asked him to leave. It was only afterwards that she found out why my cousin was so upset.

Why do some christians - and christian clergymen in particular - have this sense of entitlement? I live in the UK, a largely secular country where christians are probably now a minority along with all the other religions. And yet we still see this arrogant and upsetting behaviour.

I was appalled at the actions of this man.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Silly Deity's post
31-05-2016, 04:35 AM
RE: Hospital Chaplain was out of line
Being a prick for Jebus seems to negate the whole "Jebus is love" thing, doesn't it???

I had a similar experience at my mother's funeral.

The cunt of a preacher did an extended prayer thingie, basically using his pulpit to be a twat - whilst staring straight at me.....

I just stared back, and mouthed a couple of choice words, easily lip read.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
31-05-2016, 04:51 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your Aunt. It seems that most religious people take it as a challenge given to them by god to save us sinners. While well over stepping his bounds, his heart was most likely in the right place.

I wish more people cared about the earth as much as they care about who they believe created it
31-05-2016, 06:29 AM
Wow, I am so sorry to hear the sad news.

I don't think the priest wanted to seem entitled. I asked my mr once about this as he studied theology before he lost his faith. And he explained to me that they are actually trying to save you and your soul. It doesn't even strike them that you might not want to be saved or that this is not your belief even if you tell them so because "you are just being mislead but God still loves you"...
So I think he was coming from a caring mind set and didn't mean to be annoying or anything. After all, when you asked him to leave, he did.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
31-05-2016, 07:20 AM
Christians especially seem to have this presumption that everyone believes as they do.
Here in the US it's everywhere, from people asking for prayers on facebook to newspapers, to TV.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
31-05-2016, 07:58 AM
When my mom was dying, she asked me to keep the priest away. So I planted myself in the doorway when he showed. I had to keep stepping in front of him to keep him from going in anyway after I told him about her request. He gave up trying to push past me after 4 dance steps. I had to physically prevent him from barreling in.

This was a secular hospital in Germany.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
31-05-2016, 08:06 AM
(31-05-2016 06:29 AM)Leela Wrote:  Wow, I am so sorry to hear the sad news.

I don't think the priest wanted to seem entitled. I asked my mr once about this as he studied theology before he lost his faith. And he explained to me that they are actually trying to save you and your soul. It doesn't even strike them that you might not want to be saved or that this is not your belief even if you tell them so because "you are just being mislead but God still loves you"...
So I think he was coming from a caring mind set and didn't mean to be annoying or anything. After all, when you asked him to leave, he did.

It's not about wanting to seem entitled........its about behaving as such. How did he know my aunt is or is not religious? If she appeared to be Asian or Middle Eastern would he have behaved the way he did? As I mentioned earlier, in an increasingly secular society with christians in a minority, many christians continue to presume certain characteristics of those they interact with and think they are entitled to behave in certain ways. He was evidently one of those for whom this mind-set is the norm.

Even my Mum, an octogenarian life-long church-goer was outraged.

Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
31-05-2016, 08:16 AM
(31-05-2016 07:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  When my mom was dying, she asked me to keep the priest away. So I planted myself in the doorway when he showed. I had to keep stepping in front of him to keep him from going in anyway after I told him about her request. He gave up trying to push past me after 4 dance steps. I had to physically prevent him from barreling in.

This was a secular hospital in Germany.

This was a secular hospital in the UK, and one that gives very good clinical and palliative care but for all the marvelous medical care provided by the National Health Service in the UK it angers me greatly that it wastes money funding hospital chaplaincies.

A 2011 UK National Secular Society study showed that £29m of healthcare money was used to pay for hospital chaplains in 2009/10. The study revealed that many of the country's best hospitals spent the lowest proportion of their expenditure on chaplaincy services and concluded that the NHS wastes millions every year on services that have no clinical benefit.

31-05-2016, 08:16 AM
I think it's because they automatically assume that everyone "comes home to god" on their death bed. That facing death causes people to turn towards god.

I have heard that said many, many times. That everyone starts praying when they are about to die. So the priest assumes that the last rites are welcome by the dying person despite previous assurances of the opposite.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
31-05-2016, 08:25 AM
(31-05-2016 08:16 AM)Dom Wrote:  I think it's because they automatically assume that everyone "comes home to god" on their death bed. That facing death causes people to turn towards god.

I have heard that said many, many times. That everyone starts praying when they are about to die. So the priest assumes that the last rites are welcome by the dying person despite previous assurances of the opposite.

^^^This! They can't wrap their heads around someone wanting to die without going through a superstitious ritual.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post