Hospital visiting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Hospital visiting
Our hospital, upon admission, ask if we'd like a religious leader from various denominations to visit. My response is always no. But, there are evangelicals who seem to feel the need to come around and pray, they slip thro because they aren't the known religious leaders. I knew one woman (small town) who prayed on and on until I wanted to tell her to get the hell out but I was too sick with pneumonia. I just wanted to be left alone. It doesn't matter if a person is sleeping. They'll wake you up so you can hear god's word. I can't believe their arrogance. Anyone else have this problem?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2013, 11:56 AM
RE: Hospital visiting
Though I've never gone through that personally, I do believe there are a few threads where people have mentioned their experiences with it.

Are you in a private room? If you are, I would unhook the phone, and ask if they know the extension to security. Then again, hospital rules and the like might be different over there than it is where I live.

Also, maybe asking a nurse (if the above is too drastic) to put yourself on a list or something that keeps anyone you do not know from having permission to visit you.

Hope you don't have to go through that again.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
19-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Sure. When my mom was in a hospital on her death bed, she asked me to keep the priest from coming in. I told the nurses, they said they'd pass it on but that he would likely show up anyway. So I positioned myself in the doorway and he showed up in minutes. Seems that the request for them NOT to come makes them show up asap. I just stood there physically blocking the way and in some 20 minutes of him trying to get me to move, I just repeated "No" and "You have to respect someone's last wishes". I didn't move an inch and I didn't engage in conversation. He finally gave up.

I guess they figure they own you when you are weak and disabled.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-07-2013, 01:11 PM
(19-07-2013 12:06 PM)Dom Wrote:  Sure. When my mom was in a hospital on her death bed, she asked me to keep the priest from coming in. I told the nurses, they said they'd pass it on but that he would likely show up anyway. So I positioned myself in the doorway and he showed up in minutes. Seems that the request for them NOT to come makes them show up asap. I just stood there physically blocking the way and in some 20 minutes of him trying to get me to move, I just repeated "No" and "You have to respect someone's last wishes". I didn't move an inch and I didn't engage in conversation. He finally gave up.

That's horrible.

I have never understand why some Christians will force their way into situations where they aren't wanted.

...like they think God needs their determinism in order to help someone...

Pretty sure if God wants something done, He's going to have a way for it to be done regardless of what anyone else does. Kinda goes with the whole "omnipotent" thing... Christians seem to forget that, though.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
19-07-2013, 01:16 PM
(19-07-2013 01:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(19-07-2013 12:06 PM)Dom Wrote:  Sure. When my mom was in a hospital on her death bed, she asked me to keep the priest from coming in. I told the nurses, they said they'd pass it on but that he would likely show up anyway. So I positioned myself in the doorway and he showed up in minutes. Seems that the request for them NOT to come makes them show up asap. I just stood there physically blocking the way and in some 20 minutes of him trying to get me to move, I just repeated "No" and "You have to respect someone's last wishes". I didn't move an inch and I didn't engage in conversation. He finally gave up.

That's horrible.

I have never understand why some Christians will force their way into situations where they aren't wanted.

Pretty sure if God wants something done, He's going to have a way for it to be done regardless of what anyone else does. Kinda goes with the whole "omnipotent" thing... Christians seem to forget that, though.

I think the word you want is 'determination'. Just sayin'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-07-2013, 01:34 PM
(19-07-2013 01:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-07-2013 01:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  That's horrible.

I think the word you want is 'determination'. Just sayin'.

It is.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
19-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Usually there is a patient liaison in the hospital, ask for them. Tell them you want all such visits stopped.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
21-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Part of the problem is the staff winds up to busy to be watchful. When I'd broken my knee, I managed to have pneumonia at the same time so was kept in for 3 weeks. On the day I was finally being discharged (4 bed ward) the room got pretty chaotic. I don't begrudge the others their visitors but physio, the doctor, the nurse, the occupational therapist were all in and out with me. 4 times I'd tried to get dressed, that's how bad it was. Anyway, guess who shows up. Her hubby is pushing her in a wheel chair and literally trying to barge past about 10 people. When I told her I couldn't visit it was ignored. Thankfully the nurse whipped the curtain shut and they left. I was boiling mad at their audacity, assuming I want to hear their rantings about their god.
22-07-2013, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2013 02:18 PM by MuffinPuffin.)

Oh man, that is just horrible and very inconsiderate.

I had the same experience with a priest on my Grandmothers death bed.
A Christian priest showed up, and even when he was told my grandmother was part of another religion, he just outright refused to leave.

He even told my family at one point; "I don't come in the name of God, but in the name of kindness", I mean, just really man?
Like we would want a total stranger in the room, as someone close is dying. Dodgy

(19-07-2013 09:48 AM)Takelababy Wrote:  Our hospital, upon admission, ask if we'd like a religious leader from various denominations to visit. My response is always no. But, there are evangelicals who seem to feel the need to come around and pray, they slip thro because they aren't the known religious leaders. I knew one woman (small town) who prayed on and on until I wanted to tell her to get the hell out but I was too sick with pneumonia. I just wanted to be left alone. It doesn't matter if a person is sleeping. They'll wake you up so you can hear god's word. I can't believe their arrogance. Anyone else have this problem?

Yeah, I've had that problem too.
In my experience, the best thing to do, is simply telling these people "I do not wish to talk with you" and then just ignore everything they say.

Don't say anything like "I don't wish to talk about religion", just that you don't wish to talk at all.
If asked about religion, and you feel like you need to say something, just say it's private and personal.
22-07-2013, 02:41 PM
It happened to me a few years ago. But I thought it was my husband's fault. For shits and giggles on my admission form, he wrote Roman Catholic.

I guess he knew nothing makes me want to leave a place faster than a daily visit from a priest.

Guess that worked, because I was out in three days (I think).

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon