Hot Sauce Thread!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2015, 12:03 PM
RE: Hot Sauce Thread!
I don't generally care to be attacked by my food. I like a low to medium heat, just to enhance flavor. In that regard I prefer the humble Cholula over Tabasco, Frank's, or the ubiquitous Sriracha; a sauce about which I do not understand the hype.

I have some fairly hot stuff at home that's pretty good, can't remember the name, but I'll post a picture if I remember.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2015, 01:06 PM
(12-08-2015 11:26 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I used to grow a lot of fruit and veg in Scotland. When I moved to Germany I only had a balcony, but I had lots of sunshine so I started growing chillies. I grew superhots as well. The only two plants I brought back with me when I moved back to Scotland were a Carolina Reaper (which isn't doing very in the Scottish weather) and a chocolate Bih Jolokia. I'm really proud of the last one. I grew three plants from the seed packet and one of them came up chocolate with a different taste. Far superior to the normal Bih Jolokia. I've only managed to get one fruit growing on my windowsill here but it's really important because I know that it hasn't been crossed with anything else.

I have bought sauce before but I make my own. It can be quite distressing making the sauce when you're choking and your lungs are being burnt up from invisible particulates in the air, but the results are worth it. I'm finally coming to the end of a half beer bottle full of chilli sauce. It's lasted 8 months (Trinidad Scorpion Butch T and Chocolate Bhut Jolokia).

I also have loads more bottles of sauce that I made from my harvest before moving back. Unfortunately I didn't blend it enough because I was aiming for a chutney and didn't know how hot it would be. Next time I will make sure to not have it too thick, blend it on full power and just have chilli and nothing else. I normally add roast garlic and onions.

My favourite chilli is the chocolate habanero but I also like the Trinidad scorpion Moruga blend. You can't beat putting a chilli into the dinner. I use the sauce for sandwiches. A cheese and ham sandwich in my house is like a vindaloo. At the moment I spread chilli sauce, marmite and peanut butter on bread for my sandwiches.

Very nice! I tried growing reapers but couldn't even get them to flower. The scorpions I didn't have any trouble with, but I was living pretty close to Jim Duffy (creator of the moruga strain) at the time so the climates were about the same. Now that I'm in Georgia I plan on trying to grow again. Hopefully this climate will produce brutally hot pods like it has for Ed Curry (Carolina Reaper) and Steven McLauren (Chocolate Bhutlah).

I make my own sauces as well and have even considered starting my own company. I like to make mine thick, but I cut them with fruit usually

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2015, 03:29 AM
Encona Caribbean sauce is yummy
04-11-2015, 03:28 PM
Hot Sauce Thread!
I just made some sauce. My brother, Jigsaw, is growing ghost peppers and chocolate habaneros. My sauce has one ghost pepper and one habanero. Next time I'll skip the ghost pepper and use 3 chocolate habaneros.
04-11-2015, 03:52 PM
Chocolate habaneros are my favourite chilly. They are so pungent. The only other chilli like it is the Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend which is a super hot. My Morgua blend was really fertile and gave masses of huge yellow fruit whereas my Chocolate habs hardly grew any at all.

I'm living in Scotland at the moment without a garden so can't grow any anymore unfortunately. I'd love to have them growing in lots of land or really big pots.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
04-11-2015, 03:55 PM
(04-11-2015 03:52 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Chocolate habaneros are my favourite chilly. They are so pungent. The only other chilli like it is the Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend which is a super hot. My Morgua blend was really fertile and gave masses of huge yellow fruit whereas my Chocolate habs hardly grew any at all.

I'm living in Scotland at the moment without a garden so can't grow any anymore unfortunately. I'd love to have them growing in lots of land or really big pots.

There is a thread or post from some time ago, like 3+ years, where Stark (I think) gave a tutorial on growing produce in pots. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
04-11-2015, 04:12 PM
(04-11-2015 03:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 03:52 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Chocolate habaneros are my favourite chilly. They are so pungent. The only other chilli like it is the Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend which is a super hot. My Morgua blend was really fertile and gave masses of huge yellow fruit whereas my Chocolate habs hardly grew any at all.

There is a thread or post from some time ago, like 3+ years, where Stark (I think) gave a tutorial on growing produce in pots. Consider

I thought that was advice on growing Pot as Produce.... Drinking Beverage

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
04-11-2015, 04:41 PM
(04-11-2015 03:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is a thread or post from some time ago, like 3+ years, where Stark (I think) gave a tutorial on growing produce in pots. Consider

I grew them in small pots because I only had a small balcony. I overwintered them and had harvests in my living room and even my in-built walk-in cupboard where I fitted a 125 watt CFL (would have made a great darkroom as there was no natural light). I bought loads of CFL lights and put them on desk lamps which I attached to the mantlepiece in my living room. At one point I had to prune them all back because a canopy had grown across the walk-in cupboard and was blocking out light from reaching the floor. It gave visitors a shock when they were in the hall at night looking for the toilet and opened the wrong door to suddenly see daylight.

I don't have room to do that inside where I am currently living, besides I'm running my computers 24/7 now and don't want to spend more on electricity than I have to.
04-11-2015, 04:46 PM
You people are freaky. The hottest peppers I use are scotch bonnets, and I barely tolerate it

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
05-11-2015, 12:59 PM
(04-11-2015 04:46 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  You people are freaky. The hottest peppers I use are scotch bonnets, and I barely tolerate it

I have some Carolina Reapers in the fridge right now Evil_monster

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post