House building and tornadoes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2014, 03:38 AM
House building and tornadoes
This might sound stupid, but I always wondered why the areas vulnerable to tornadoes are full of houses that can be destroyed by tornadoes.

I remember talking about it with my dad, who told me that these houses are cheaper and that people there don't build their houses thinking they might get hit by a tornado. He also told me that if a tornado hit us, the damage would be negligible.

Even the oldest, crappiest houses in faraway towns and villages here could withstand most natural disasters (there are no wooden houses here, only stone and concrete).

So, what's up with that?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2014, 05:11 AM
RE: House building and tornadoes
(03-05-2014 03:38 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  This might sound stupid, but I always wondered why the areas vulnerable to tornadoes are full of houses that can be destroyed by tornadoes.

I remember talking about it with my dad, who told me that these houses are cheaper and that people there don't build their houses thinking they might get hit by a tornado. He also told me that if a tornado hit us, the damage would be negligible.

Even the oldest, crappiest houses in faraway towns and villages here could withstand most natural disasters (there are no wooden houses here, only stone and concrete).

So, what's up with that?

Because they just do. Wanna know what's even more puzzling? That people build massive farms in OK and KAN although they know that if a tornado hits their land half their crops will been eaten or smashed by massive air pillars, which means they sure as hell can't fund their giant homes. Now that you're at it, a better question is why not more soild buildings are being bulit in say Florida; hurricanes cause a lot more damage.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
03-05-2014, 06:07 AM
(03-05-2014 03:38 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  This might sound stupid, but I always wondered why the areas vulnerable to tornadoes are full of houses that can be destroyed by tornadoes.

So, what's up with that?

You have cause and effect reversed.

Trailer parks and flimsy homes attract tornadoes. Build those and they will come. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-05-2014, 06:43 AM
(03-05-2014 06:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  

So, what's up with that?

You have cause and effect reversed.

Trailer parks and flimsy homes attract tornadoes. Build those and they will come. Big Grin

I heard Chuck Norris just hates Trailer Parks lol

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze