House cleaning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2016, 10:53 AM
House cleaning
About how much time to you guys spend cleaning your house/apartment/hovel or whatever you live in. I spend as little time as possible. I keep the kitchen pretty clean but the family room area is always cluttered and the carpet is a mess.

I don't make the bed everyday......even sometimes every two days. I'm basically a messy person.

If I hired a maid service I'd have to clean up the house and organize it before a maid could come here to clean it up because I'd be too embarrassed for a maid service to see how messy I am.

Once a year a maid might be nice though.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
07-02-2016, 10:58 AM
RE: House cleaning
I keep things fairly uncluttered though mail seems to pile up. With all our pets vacuuming every day would not be wasted. I do keep the kitchen clean but need to clean out the fridge more often. My biggest battle is dust...geez Louise the dust. Facepalm

I have a plaque that says, "Who fired the maid?"

And tell me...where does all this damn laundry come from?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-02-2016, 11:10 AM
We have a five and a two year old, clean is not a thing in our house. We are constantly cleaning, but never clean.

The kitchen is kind of my refuge, so I spend most of my effort there and manage to keep it relatively together except for the table which gathers clutter too easily. We don't use it for anything else anyway, so whatever.

I hate cleaning. Dodgy

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
07-02-2016, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2016 12:14 PM by jennybee.)
I hate cleaning too. I did have a maid service in the past. They would come once a week and clean. I live in a 5 bedroom 3 bath house and I work so it's a bit much to keep up without some additional help. Recently, I canceled the maid service because I dropped my work schedule down to part-time due to my relocating in a few months. I got rid of the cleaning service because I thought now with the extra time there's no reason I can't do it myself. It's also a good workout cleaning a 5 bedroom house all by yourself. I mean if you really clean. I have been doing that in addition to my regular workouts of running, yoga, hiking, and Krav Maga. I just blast music while I clean and try and view it as a workout and it really has made it more bearable doing it that way. I probably fully clean everything in my house about once a week.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
07-02-2016, 11:56 AM
I don't find it so bad once I get started. I like organizing. I can't stand clutters (drives me crazy) and I love getting rid of crap I don't need. It's almost therapeutic to me. I'm a bit of a neat freak. I love the idea of a minimalist house with not much clutter... still working on that.

I loathe washing dishes (who doesn't?) -- I will try to clean up as soon as I'm finished cooking, sometimes before I even eat depending on how hungry I am! I like to get it over with. I freakin' hate looking at a sink full of dishes with a bloody passion.

Never have liked vacuuming either. I don't know why, but the loud vacuum noise bothers me.

I make my bed close to every day. Grew up like that, so I guess it's a habit.

I like Jenny's idea about playing music while cleaning. Makes the process much better. I find that, once you start cleaning, you keep going, like you develop a flow to doing it, y'know? I view this the same way as some kind of work one might procrastinate on. Once you start and give something five or so minutes of your time, it's easier to keep going and harder to quit (in most cases).

I love a good smelling, cleaned up house. Allow me to take this time to say "fuck you" to Bath and Body Works for getting rid of the vetiver rainforest scent port from three years ago. That was the best fragrance ever.
[+] 2 users Like UndauntedToast's post
07-02-2016, 12:07 PM
(07-02-2016 11:56 AM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  I don't find it so bad once I get started. I like organizing. I can't stand clutters (drives me crazy) and I love getting rid of crap I don't need. It's almost therapeutic to me. I'm a bit of a neat freak. I love the idea of a minimalist house with not much clutter... still working on that.

I loathe washing dishes (who doesn't?) -- I will try to clean up as soon as I'm finished cooking, sometimes before I even eat depending on how hungry I am! I like to get it over with. I freakin' hate looking at a sink full of dishes with a bloody passion.

Never have liked vacuuming either. I don't know why, but the loud vacuum noise bothers me.

I make my bed close to every day. Grew up like that, so I guess it's a habit.

I like Jenny's idea about playing music while cleaning. Makes the process much better. I find that, once you start cleaning, you keep going, like you develop a flow to doing it, y'know? I view this the same way as some kind of work one might procrastinate on. Once you start and give something five or so minutes of your time, it's easier to keep going and harder to quit (in most cases).

I love a good smelling, cleaned up house. Allow me to take this time to say "fuck you" to Bath and Body Works for getting rid of the vetiver rainforest scent port from three years ago. That was the best fragrance ever.

I hate clutter too! I totally agree it's therapeutic to get rid of things you don't need. My favorite room in my house is my yoga room. I always keep that extra clean since I am on the floor on my mat in there quite a bit. It's much more relaxing for me having things clean and organized instead of having everything all over the place. I am by nature a messy person but I'm a messy person who hates messes. Hobo I throw my clothes on the bedroom floor and leave them there for a day or two and then it irritates me so I have to put them away. Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-02-2016, 12:16 PM
I straighten more than I clean, but spend a fair amount of time on dishes, laundry, etc. My husband cleans some (he mostly works from home). For the heavy stuff, we have a cleaning service that comes every two weeks.

The house has to look fairly presentable most of the time because it's where I do a significant amount of my teaching.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
07-02-2016, 12:45 PM
I used to be more clean and tidy than I am now. Having a baby messed with that. Lol

I try to at least tidy up every day and sweep everyday.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
07-02-2016, 12:58 PM
If I didn't have a cleaning service every two weeks my place would be cluttered. But since I have to get everything put away so they can actually clean, my place is mostly good to go.

Small house + cleaning service = happiness.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
07-02-2016, 01:15 PM
My youngest son doesn't like cleaning, either. That's why I have to nag him all the time. He still lives at home but at least he has a job. He vacuums the house, takes out the trash, cleans one bathroom, loads/runs/empties the dishwasher and mows the lawn. He also does his own laundry. I clean the master bathroom and do all the laundry except my wife's and her mother's. I'm retired, so it isn't a big deal. It's going to be a bit of a pain when my son finally (if ever) moves out- I'll have more work to do!
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post