House cleaning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2016, 05:51 PM
RE: House cleaning
(07-02-2016 05:47 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(07-02-2016 05:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If I could afford someone to come in and clean I would be compelled to clean up before they got here. So, it seems kind of useless to me for regular cleaning.

However, with 24 foot ceilings, lights, windows, and ceiling fans that I can't even reach with our ladder- I wouldn't mind having someone come in to do that about once a year. My husband rigged up the world's longest extension tool for the vacuum cleaner but it's a two person job and a chore that takes a couple days.

Now you're just showing off. I live in a a hovel.

[Image: hovel.jpg]

We actually have a pretty modest home...it's just that it's a modified A-frame...therefore the ceilings peak at 24 feet downstairs and 14 feet in one of the rooms upstairs.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-02-2016, 06:00 PM
(07-02-2016 05:38 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Well you are in Canadia with Stark, right?

Affirmative.

Gotta break the ice on the surface of the lake to get water for cleaning, drinking and cooking.

Inner walls of the igloo don't seem to collect dust ... which is nice.

2 dogs ... no Hoover required; dropped food does not get the chance to land.

True story.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
07-02-2016, 06:58 PM
(07-02-2016 06:00 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

Affirmative.

Gotta break the ice on the surface of the lake to get water for cleaning, drinking and cooking.

True story.

Do the dogs poop outside?

Canadia.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
07-02-2016, 07:02 PM
Why the fuck do you think I put up with flatmates? Because I like their company? pfft bitch please. I just hate doing the vacuuming and shit.
I clean my room once every 2 months (flat inspection) and wash my dishes after I've used them. That's it. May flatmates do the rest.

This is probably why I had like 17 flatmates in 2-3 year period? Consider ah well.
There's only 1 person you need to impress and that's the landlord. Landlords love me. Perks of working at nights/not working at all is that you're home when the landlord shows up and none of your flatmates are home.
It's amazing how easy people can form opinions based solely on 1 side of the story.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
07-02-2016, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2016 07:14 PM by Astreja.)
I'm not a big fan of housecleaning and tend to do it in intense bursts when required. It also doesn't help that My home has been under renovation for some time, and it's hard to keep things clean and uncluttered when various people are wandering hither and yon with paint cans, batches of thin-set mortar, and bags and boxes of demolition rubble.

I also have 3 cats. Cats don't pick up after themselves. No

With that caveat in mind, the house is actually in much better shape than it was 5 years ago. I've been gradually reducing the amount of stuff I own, tossing or donating or selling things, and not filling the house back up again. I'm also a lot better at putting things back where they belong. (pauses to grab a chalk line and a bag of ceramic tile spacers to take back to basement storage, and an empty beer can that needs to go into the return-for-refund bag)
  • Get rid of the idea of keeping things "just in case." By the time you need it, if ever, there will probably be better ones on the market.
  • To the fullest extent possible, keep horizontal surfaces clear. For one thing, it's a lot easier to concentrate on reading when there's only one book on the desk rather than a dozen.
  • Keep similar things together in one place so that you can actually find them, and so that you can spot duplicate items. At most, have one backup stash. For example, in addition to having an extensive collection of tools in the basement I keep a hammer, a utility knife and a screwdriver or two in the bottom drawer in the kitchen for quick fixes.
  • Do not waste your money on mass quantities of storage boxes. All that'll do is provide more places for you to misplace things, and increase the risk of having to buy something twice because you forgot where you put the first one. (There are valid uses for those storage bins; for instance, I keep all My power tools in them to protect them from humidity.)
  • For all you bibliophiles: Are you really going to read that book again? Share the wealth: Donate it so someone else can have a go at it.
  • Beware of collections! They have a nasty way of sitting there collecting dust. At one point I had collections of books, penguins, dragons, coffee cups, and musical instruments that I wasn't playing all that often. I got rid of most of them, keeping only a handful of favourites, and don't miss the things that were culled. (As a bonus, you no longer have to invest in extra bookshelves and curio cabinets and wall shelves.)
  • Finally, I'm a big fan of clean-as-you-cook. When cooking a big meal I wash up as I go, so that when dinner is on the table there isn't a huge stack of pots and pans and bowls and such in the sink. It also gives Me something to do in the dead spots when something is in the oven.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2016, 07:14 PM
(07-02-2016 06:58 PM)Banjo Wrote:  ...
Do the dogs poop outside?

Everyone does in Canadia. It's eco-friendly.

Yes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
07-02-2016, 07:20 PM
(07-02-2016 07:07 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I'm not a big fan of housecleaning and tend to do it in intense bursts when required. It also doesn't help that My home has been under renovation for some time, and it's hard to keep things clean and uncluttered when various people are wandering hither and yon with paint cans, batches of thin-set mortar, and bags and boxes of demolition rubble.

With that caveat in mind, the house is actually in much better shape than it was 5 years ago. I've been gradually reducing the amount of stuff I own, tossing or donating or selling things, and not filling the house back up again. I'm also a lot better at putting things back where they belong. (pauses to grab a chalk line and a bag of ceramic tile spacers to take back to basement storage, and an empty beer can that needs to go into the return-for-refund bag)
  • Get rid of the idea of keeping things "just in case." By the time you need it, if ever, there will probably be better ones on the market.
  • To the fullest extent possible, keep horizontal surfaces clear. For one thing, it's a lot easier to concentrate on reading when there's only one book on the desk rather than a dozen.
  • Keep similar things together in one place so that you can actually find them, and so that you can spot duplicate items. At most, have one backup stash. For example, in addition to having an extensive collection of tools in the basement I keep a hammer, a utility knife and a screwdriver or two in the bottom drawer in the kitchen for quick fixes.
  • Do not waste your money on mass quantities of storage boxes. All that'll do is provide more places for you to misplace things, and increase the risk of having to buy something twice because you forgot where you put the first one. (There are valid uses for those storage bins; for instance, I keep all My power tools in them to protect them from humidity.)
  • For all you bibliophiles: Are you really going to read that book again? Share the wealth: Donate it so someone else can have a go at it.
  • Beware of collections! They have a nasty way of sitting there collecting dust. At one point I had collections of books, penguins, dragons, coffee cups, and musical instruments that I wasn't playing all that often. I got rid of most of them, keeping only a handful of favourites, and don't miss the things that were culled. (As a bonus, you no longer have to invest in extra bookshelves and curio cabinets and wall shelves.)

If I could keep everything as organized as I do my sewing stuff I would have accomplished a wonderful thing.

I often donate books and have learned to be more honest with myself about what needs to get cut and what kept.

Since my son moved out I have been doing some purging in closets now that one room is empty I have the room to sort and decide what stays and what goes.

I am working on going through decades of photographs to give to my kids. My oldest has already carried home a box of pictures and old school papers and report cards. There's no reason to wait till I am gone for the kids to have old pictures of themselves and other family members. Any that I really want I scan onto my computer. It's a work in progress.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
07-02-2016, 07:20 PM
(07-02-2016 07:07 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I'm not a big fan of housecleaning and tend to do it in intense bursts when required. It also doesn't help that My home has been under renovation for some time, and it's hard to keep things clean and uncluttered when various people are wandering hither and yon with paint cans, batches of thin-set mortar, and bags and boxes of demolition rubble.

• Finally, I'm a big fan of clean-as-you-cook. When cooking a big meal I wash up as I go, so that when dinner is on the table there isn't a huge stack of pots and pans and bowls and such in the sink. It also gives Me something to do in the dead spots when something is in the oven.

I can relate to the collections thing.

I used to collect roosters, only so I could say I was surrounded by cocks. Smile

Yes, they're little dust collectors. I did eventually cull the collection to just a few cocks. Laugh out load

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

07-02-2016, 07:27 PM
My house is a circus. Two middle-schoolers, two dogs, and a cat. We keep it pretty clean until the day before the housekeeper comes. Then we leave two days worth of dishes in the sink. My housekeeper hates us.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
07-02-2016, 08:18 PM
(07-02-2016 06:00 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

Affirmative.

True story.

Canadians don't need to clean because everything is frozen solid most of the time.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.