House of Chas hijinx at Boston Marathon?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2013, 12:24 PM
RE: House of Chas hijinx at Boston Marathon?
(16-04-2013 12:17 PM)JAH Wrote:  A few quick observations.

Whoever said way back that this was a clear terrorist move because the second explosion was intended to harm people responding to the first is wrong. The physical separation of the two bombs makes this speculation weak at best.

From what I have seen neither explosion was particularly large. The amount of explosive was apparently quite limited. If this was a terrorist attack and not some random nut job they were fairly incompetent terrorists.

Getting on the ferry one morning there was the Marin Co. sheriffs swat team nearby getting all suited up in their body armor etc. A ferry employee said they were going to practice something. Just because bomb sniffing dogs were around does not at all mean there was a known threat out there. It may have been simply training or it may have been the bomb squad doing something they felt they should.

Time will tell some things but as in all these events much will be hidden. The important thing is that the illegal and immoral response to 9-11 should not be repeated. No bogey men this time, real perpetrators.

The level of security was normal for the Boston Marathon. The Boston Police Department has a K-9 unit. Not all dogs are 'bomb-sniffing dogs'.

The bombs appear to have been designed as anti-personnel weapons. The current evidence is that they were pressure cookers loaded with ball bearings and nails.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2013, 12:26 PM
(16-04-2013 11:41 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 11:18 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I make the determination that nearly everything in early reporting is likely to be wrong to some degree or another. As to an alleged bomber I would want to know where such information was obtained? Did this person release a video admitting the attack?

So if nearly everything in early reporting is considered false, then at what point do you consider which reports are true or not and how do you personally come to that conclusion.

In the hypothetical secenario.... Would you be curious how the authorities came to name the person that was alleged in the attacks so soon even if it was long before any such video were to be released of the bomber admitting the attack.

I wouldn't go so far as false and to use an example of yesterdays events 20 hours after the event the reported events that had been modified were as follows: 2 devices were exploded (as reported). No additional devices had been found despite some reports of as many as 3 such devices being reported. There seems to have been some kind of mechanical fire at the Kennedy Library but it was determined to be unrelated to the event at the end of the marathon. The death toll and total report of the injured has been revised several times and now seems to stand at 3 killed and over 100 injured.

Now if the government released the name and image of a supposed bomber quickly after the event (something that has not happened in this instance and in fact the exact opposite has been the case where caution against premature judgement is being advised) I would assume (with the reservation to change my opinion after the fact as more data became available) that such a person was under government surveillance and had incriminated themselves through some means such as wire tapping or other communication.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
16-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Chas, Unnamed souces say they were made from pressure cookers and filled with nails, ball bearings, etc. Other sources suggest the Pakistani taliban uses similar devices. We will probably never know difinitivly how they were made because of fear some nut job will do something similar.

It does not surprise me that security was high for the marathon. And thanks for the reminder that not all police dogs are bomb sniffing dogs.

While obviously things are still up in the air I do stand by my observation that if these are terrorists they are not very competent.
16-04-2013, 01:22 PM
(16-04-2013 01:06 PM)JAH Wrote:  Chas, Unnamed souces say they were made from pressure cookers and filled with nails, ball bearings, etc. Other sources suggest the Pakistani taliban uses similar devices. We will probably never know difinitivly how they were made because of fear some nut job will do something similar.

It does not surprise me that security was high for the marathon. And thanks for the reminder that not all police dogs are bomb sniffing dogs.

While obviously things are still up in the air I do stand by my observation that if these are terrorists they are not very competent.

Well despite what hollywood would have you believe most terrorists aren't particularly competent. They are the dregs of society, usually little or no formal schooling and heavily indoctrinated. They are drawn from the lowest rung of workers, the ones who can't even hold down construction jobs and the like because of their inability to get along with people. Whether this is the case in what happened in boston remains to be seen.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-04-2013, 01:27 PM
(16-04-2013 01:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 01:06 PM)JAH Wrote:  Chas, Unnamed souces say they were made from pressure cookers and filled with nails, ball bearings, etc. Other sources suggest the Pakistani taliban uses similar devices. We will probably never know difinitivly how they were made because of fear some nut job will do something similar.

Well despite what hollywood would have you believe most terrorists aren't particularly competent. They are the dregs of society, usually little or no formal schooling and heavily indoctrinated. They are drawn from the lowest rung of workers, the ones who can't even hold down construction jobs and the like because of their inability to get along with people. Whether this is the case in what happened in boston remains to be seen.

And whoever did it was competent enough, unfortunately.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
16-04-2013, 01:31 PM
It depends on what they wanted to accomplish. These type bombs may have been exactly what they wanted.

Maybe they just enjoyed blowing the legs off some people who delight in running. There are all kinds of nut jobs on this planet.

But, even terrorists can use situations like this, even with very minor explosions. If it happens again elsewhere, they may just be after terror itself - blood and gore and people feeling unsafe wherever they are.

Bomb sniffing dogs are primarily in the military. There are some in police depts. , but the vast majority is for apprehending suspects, and areas with a volume of drugs passing through also have drug sniffers. While some of the dogs trained to apprehend suspects also know how to sniff drugs, it is not generally the case. Dogs like you see in the airports are only drug sniffers and do no other tasks. Service dogs are quite specialized. Most service dogs are not trained in sniffing bombs.

As far as at what point I accept an explanation - that can vary widely from case to case.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-04-2013, 01:43 PM
(16-04-2013 01:27 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 01:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well despite what hollywood would have you believe most terrorists aren't particularly competent. They are the dregs of society, usually little or no formal schooling and heavily indoctrinated. They are drawn from the lowest rung of workers, the ones who can't even hold down construction jobs and the like because of their inability to get along with people. Whether this is the case in what happened in boston remains to be seen.

And whoever did it was competent enough, unfortunately.

Sadly, if general mayhem is the goal it doesn't take much.

[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
16-04-2013, 01:53 PM
(16-04-2013 01:31 PM)Dom Wrote:  There are all kinds of nut jobs on this planet.

And a lot of them seem to be living here, roaming around thanks to mr Reagan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2013, 02:06 PM
(16-04-2013 01:53 PM)Weeeeee_Zard Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 01:31 PM)Dom Wrote:  There are all kinds of nut jobs on this planet.

And a lot of them seem to be living here, roaming around thanks to mr Reagan.

Hey he was the greatest president ever created by the imagineers at Disney.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-04-2013, 03:34 PM
While professional journalists may have been partly responsible for the misinformation we heard early on I would put my money on Twitter. I would also like to know how many professional journalists were getting some of their info from Twitter.

At least the facts are eventually sifted from the white noise.
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post