House votes to repeal Affordable Care Act

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2017, 12:21 PM
RE: House votes to repeal Affordable Care Act
(05-05-2017 12:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 09:56 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  This is just Round 2, of a many round process. The House can't do anything. They *may* have done this as a *stunt*, knowing the Senate would never pass the bill in the same form, just so they could "claim" to have done "something" ... (anything).

And instead many will end up losing their jobs and maybe the entire House. 'Cause they're fucking stupid and not only can't work through the consequences of legislation, they don't even understand the concept.

I'm not so sure about that, though. A lot of them originally campaigned and won office by promising to do exactly what they just did. There are quite a few voters out there who think this is a good thing. I think it's a horrible thing, and will vote against these tools in 2018 -- but I was going to do that anyway. I'm not sure this is going to change anyone's mind. It's not exactly a surprise. They've been promising this for years.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2017, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 02:35 PM by Dom.)
My husband's relatively short fight with cancer, with several operations within one year's time, cost almost a million. Had he survived, as many younger than him with the same issue do, he would be a multi million man at the end of it.

That is why a single provider is the only sensible solution, as so many countries have already noticed (some for decades!!!!!). It controls pricing. It actually ends up saving the government money - with the outrageous, over-inflated prices here the US government pays huge amounts of money for what could be done for many more people for much less $. It's simply idiotic!

Other countries have more insured (everyone), pay less and have money left for research in universities to boot.

How freaking stupid is the US not to look at this?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
05-05-2017, 01:48 PM
(05-05-2017 01:21 PM)Dom Wrote:  How freaking stupid is the US not to look at this?

The people who make money off the system *as it is* are more powerful currently than those who would like to change it. Therefore they will keep the system the same, until their hand is forced. And there'll be somewhat of a marketing campaign by their politicians whom they own to sell the system to the public - the usual guff about welfare queens and "why should I pay for someone else's medical care" etc etc.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
05-05-2017, 01:48 PM
There's no doubt in my mind trump is 'punishing' Obama and pandering to his kool-aid drinkers. This has absolutely nothing to do with being 'fiscally responsible' and doing the right thing. His first 100 days has been mostly about spite.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like ShadowProject's post
05-05-2017, 01:52 PM
(05-05-2017 01:21 PM)Dom Wrote:  My husband relatively short fight with cancer, with several operations within one year's time, cost almost a million. Had he survived, as many younger than him with the same issue do, he would be a multi million man at the end of it.

That is why a single provider is the only sensible solution, as so many countries have already noticed (some for decades!!!!!). It controls pricing. It actually ends up saving the government money - with the outrageous, over-inflated prices here the US government pays huge amounts of money for what could be done for many more people for much less $. It's simply idiotic!

Other countries have more insured (everyone), pay less and have money left for research in universities to boot.

How freaking stupid is the US not to look at this?

Because the insurance industry has this country's government by the cojones.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
05-05-2017, 02:02 PM
(05-05-2017 01:21 PM)Dom Wrote:  My husband relatively short fight with cancer, with several operations within one year's time, cost almost a million. Had he survived, as many younger than him with the same issue do, he would be a multi million man at the end of it.

Just one of my father's drugs he needed when suffering from terminal cancer did cost 6000 a month. Without it he would have died two years earlier and in pain. Thankfully we do have single payer public insurance and it all was paid.

I shudder to think that something as basic and important as healthcare is in the hands of private insurance companies. Whenever they should pay out, they try to whiggle out in hopes that you wouldn't lawyer up.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post
05-05-2017, 02:06 PM
(05-05-2017 01:48 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  There's no doubt in my mind trump is 'punishing' Obama and pandering to his kool-aid drinkers. This has absolutely nothing to do with being 'fiscally responsible' and doing the right thing. His first 100 days has been mostly about spite.

There's another aspect to it. It's another massive and hidden tax cut for the rich if the affordable care act is revoked. I can't remember the details, so I won't run my mouth on it, but there was something in Obamacare that hurt the one percenters financially.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
05-05-2017, 02:41 PM
(05-05-2017 02:06 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 01:48 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  There's no doubt in my mind trump is 'punishing' Obama and pandering to his kool-aid drinkers. This has absolutely nothing to do with being 'fiscally responsible' and doing the right thing. His first 100 days has been mostly about spite.

There's another aspect to it. It's another massive and hidden tax cut for the rich if the affordable care act is revoked. I can't remember the details, so I won't run my mouth on it, but there was something in Obamacare that hurt the one percenters financially.

The look on his stupid face at the "party" in the rose garden spoke volumes. "They like me! They really like me! This is the greatest thing any president has done in history. So powerful."

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)
[+] 4 users Like Vivian Darkbloom's post
05-05-2017, 03:48 PM
(05-05-2017 01:48 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 01:21 PM)Dom Wrote:  How freaking stupid is the US not to look at this?

The people who make money off the system *as it is* are more powerful currently than those who would like to change it. Therefore they will keep the system the same, until their hand is forced. And there'll be somewhat of a marketing campaign by their politicians whom they own to sell the system to the public - the usual guff about welfare queens and "why should I pay for someone else's medical care" etc etc.

Power shifts over time. And if any powerful person thinks they are above everyone else none of them have the magic power of living forever. They will do what they can get away with up and until a big enough crack forms they get toppled from the top of the heap. It does not matter which direction a society goes to, be it more open or closed. Humans are no different than any other species. Stress out enough of a population that population, drain the resources enough, it will hurt even the top and when those fractures at the top happen, those below will seek to topple that top and take power themselves.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2017, 06:01 PM
(05-05-2017 12:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 09:56 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  This is just Round 2, of a many round process. The House can't do anything. They *may* have done this as a *stunt*, knowing the Senate would never pass the bill in the same form, just so they could "claim" to have done "something" ... (anything).

And instead many will end up losing their jobs and maybe the entire House. 'Cause they're fucking stupid and not only can't work through the consequences of legislation, they don't even understand the concept.

Their average net worth is a million dollars.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews....text%3Damp

Oh wow the brutality of being held accountable by the astute American voter!