Household Chemistry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2013, 10:18 PM
RE: Household Chemistry
(27-10-2013 03:52 PM)dmparker5 Wrote:  Hello, I really wasn't thinking about it and mixed a small amount of rubbing alcohol into a bucket of warm water. I then pour bleach straight on my floor and washed the floors with it and used the warm water combo as a rinse for the mop. (the floors were just looking really nasty and I wanted to get them super clean)
I've seen a couple things that said this is a bad combo, can any go into more details with how bad a mistake I've made with this? Thanks
Dawn

Well, some of the products look to be chloroform, chloroacetone, dichloroacetone, hydrochloric acid. There's nothing really good in this list.
http://chemistry.about.com/od/healthsafe...roform.htm
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
27-10-2013, 10:29 PM
(10-11-2012 09:10 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Isn't boiled gasoline a key component in some kind of homemade napalm?

Also, I heard once that diesel with chips of soap mixed in can make a very potent napalm-like long-burn gel...

I wouldn't recommend boiling it, but at room temperature, dissolve a bunch of Styrofoam into gasoline to get your napalm.
27-10-2013, 11:36 PM
(27-10-2013 10:29 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(10-11-2012 09:10 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Isn't boiled gasoline a key component in some kind of homemade napalm?

Also, I heard once that diesel with chips of soap mixed in can make a very potent napalm-like long-burn gel...

I wouldn't recommend boiling it, but at room temperature, dissolve a bunch of Styrofoam into gasoline to get your napalm.

To be fair; so long as there wasn't a flame lit, the vapours from the boiling shouldn't be a problem... much.

However, this information of yours may someday become useful to me, so thanks.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
28-10-2013, 04:44 AM
(27-10-2013 10:18 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 03:52 PM)dmparker5 Wrote:  Hello, I really wasn't thinking about it and mixed a small amount of rubbing alcohol into a bucket of warm water. I then pour bleach straight on my floor and washed the floors with it and used the warm water combo as a rinse for the mop.
Dawn

Well, some of the products look to be chloroform, chloroacetone, dichloroacetone, hydrochloric acid. There's nothing really good in this list.

Thanks, I saw that when I googled and had hoped it wasn't accurate. Confused since already been done, any suggestions as to what I should do? Had a window open and a fan going while I was in there, not sure if that's a help or not.
28-10-2013, 05:21 AM
(27-10-2013 08:38 PM)Youkay Wrote:  Small correction: the reason why oxygen in the air is relatively unreactive is because it is in a triplet state (a biradical) whereas other molecules are in a singlet state (no unpaired electrons). If so happened that oxygen would naturally occur iin a singlet state, we wouldn't be here to discuss this because we would be burning Smile

"Triplet state"? How is O2 a triplet?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-10-2013, 06:04 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triplet_oxygen

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
28-10-2013, 06:23 AM
(10-11-2012 08:42 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  How would one make a quick killing poison out of household items that can't be traced by forensics?

Oh, and while you're at it, how would one build a car bomb out of household items?

I wonder if the NSA is screening these forums….
You probably got their attention now.
28-10-2013, 06:28 AM
(28-10-2013 05:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 08:38 PM)Youkay Wrote:  Small correction: the reason why oxygen in the air is relatively unreactive is because it is in a triplet state (a biradical) whereas other molecules are in a singlet state (no unpaired electrons). If so happened that oxygen would naturally occur iin a singlet state, we wouldn't be here to discuss this because we would be burning Smile

"Triplet state"? How is O2 a triplet?

Triplet state refers to the electron configuration of the bonding molecular orbital of the electrons for oxygen. Oxygen has a pair of electrons that fit within a pair of equal energy molecular orbital states, making it possible for the electrons to have different combinations of spins. See this diagram:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_o...MO_diagram

In triplet oxygen, the two electrons are in a state that maximizes spin. This is the normal lowest energy state of Oxygen. This configuration with a net spin from the electrons is what makes Oxygen paramagnetic, meaning it interacts with and is attracted to magnets. The word triplet refers to the fact that of the four combinations of spin up and spin down for two electrons occupying two equal energy orbitals, three of these states (triplet) have a total spin of S=1 while one state (singlet) has a total spin of S=0.

Each electron has a spin of either +1/2 or -1/2. So how does one get three combinations of adding these two spins to get total spin of 1 ? Ahh, the fun of quantum mechanics Smile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triplet_state
28-10-2013, 07:00 AM
(28-10-2013 04:44 AM)dmparker5 Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 10:18 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Well, some of the products look to be chloroform, chloroacetone, dichloroacetone, hydrochloric acid. There's nothing really good in this list.

Thanks, I saw that when I googled and had hoped it wasn't accurate. Confused since already been done, any suggestions as to what I should do? Had a window open and a fan going while I was in there, not sure if that's a help or not.

Most of those chemicals should be somewhat volatile and evaporate readily. So having a window open with a fan going probably was helpful. And it also sounds like you only used a 'small amount' of rubbing alcohol in a bucket of warm water. Most of the bad stuff would have gone down the drain when you dumped the mop bucket.
28-10-2013, 12:16 PM
(28-10-2013 07:00 AM)BryanS Wrote:  Most of those chemicals should be somewhat volatile and evaporate readily. So having a window open with a fan going probably was helpful. And it also sounds like you only used a 'small amount' of rubbing alcohol in a bucket of warm water. Most of the bad stuff would have gone down the drain when you dumped the mop bucket.

Thanks, once my mind got working on it, I was worried that it might linger on the floor that I cleaned it with, in some shape or form.
The floor looks great I must say Smile, but not worth it with the scare I gave myself.

*note to self:[/b] google BEFORE creative chemical mixing at home.