Houston mayor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Houston mayor
http://dailysignal.com/2014/10/28/housto...ium=social

Houston mayor wants to see preachers' sermons.
Is this right? Or perhaps not?

More:
http://freedomoutpost.com/2014/10/pastor...s-sermons/

What say you?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2014, 09:28 AM
RE: Houston mayor
Really nobody?
Huh

29-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Offhand, I have 2 thoughts.

1. This does seem to be crossing the line somewhat. Religions are supposed to be free to practice their religions as they see fit. As long as they keep their views within their own churches, I don't think government has any business interfering. However, they can't break the law because that then makes it the government's business. I don't think the government has the right to interfere with sermons (not that subpoenaing them in itself is interference, but that would be the implied potential next step) since sermons are contained within the church.

2. These pastors are awfully defensive. They are supposed to be preaching the inerrant word of gawd. They should want everybody to hear it and the more, the better. All they have been asked to do so far is to turn over copies of their sermons. I would they they would gladly do so and complain only if something else comes of it. It seems like they know they have something to hide. Consider

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
29-10-2014, 10:09 AM
(29-10-2014 09:52 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Offhand, I have 2 thoughts.

1. This does seem to be crossing the line somewhat. Religions are supposed to be free to practice their religions as they see fit. As long as they keep their views within their own churches, I don't think government has any business interfering. However, they can't break the law because that then makes it the government's business. I don't think the government has the right to interfere with sermons (not that subpoenaing them in itself is interference, but that would be the implied potential next step) since sermons are contained within the church.

2. These pastors are awfully defensive. They are supposed to be preaching the inerrant word of gawd. They should want everybody to hear it and the more, the better. All they have been asked to do so far is to turn over copies of their sermons. I would they they would gladly do so and complain only if something else comes of it. It seems like they know they have something to hide. Consider

Yeah, yamno.... I'm liberal and all for civil unions AND lesbian but I'm not sure I agree with her subpoenas.
She's looking for hate speech BUT aren't we supposed to have freedom of religion?
I want to like what she's doing but....not sure I can.

Thanks.

[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
29-10-2014, 10:20 AM
That agrees with my thoughts on the matter. I am all for gay rights and equality and I despise religions that preach that homosexuality is morally wrong. But nothing can be done about that, at least as it applies to what happens inside the church walls, without trampling on freedom of religion so I don't know what this mayor thinks she will accomplish.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
29-10-2014, 10:25 AM
(29-10-2014 10:20 AM)Impulse Wrote:  That agrees with my thoughts on the matter. I am all for gay rights and equality and I despise religions that preach that homosexuality is morally wrong. But nothing can be done about that, at least as it applies to what happens inside the church walls, without trampling on freedom of religion so I don't know what this mayor thinks she will accomplish.

I cant tell if it's a political stunt and she's just garnishing as much attention as possible OR if she's sincere and hoping to point out serious church fallacies. Either way she's using her office to do it.
Just wondering if as mayor if thats in her job description?

29-10-2014, 10:35 AM
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/houst...hristians/

29-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Glad you brought this up.

I think there is a vast difference between speech and acts. If one doesn't like what someone has to say then that is too bad. I hate the freedom from offense many people seem think they're due nowadays.

People have a right to their views as much as others may disagree with them.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
29-10-2014, 10:42 AM
(29-10-2014 10:35 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Glad you brought this up.

I think there is a vast difference between speech and acts. If one doesn't like what someone has to say then that is too bad. I hate the freedom from offense many people seem think they're due nowadays.

Right?
Its either freedom or its not.

Believe me i love this woman; even amazed she got elected in Texas but is this abuse of her office?

29-10-2014, 10:46 AM
(29-10-2014 10:42 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 10:35 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Glad you brought this up.

Right?
Its either freedom or its not.

Believe me i love this woman; even amazed she got elected in Texas but is this abuse of her office?

In my opinion this is pretty close to abuse of office.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume