How Atheist can let Go ! of stress & problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2013, 01:55 PM
RE: How Atheist can let Go ! of stress & problems
(17-10-2013 04:51 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  When I was at my darkest and most stressed I tried Yoga Nidra (on my I pod) which was particularly good for stress. It's being used for PTSD in returning soldiers. The thing with this type of yoga is that you just lay there. There are no pretzel positions.

http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/2814

It isn't a religious practice though some people can incorporate their beliefs in it.

Ha- I like the pretzel positions! Tongue

I do yoga too. I've done it since I was a teen and have even helped others to do it. It's a great help to focus and clear the mind, as well as keep the body functioning at it's most flexible and stress free, best.

I consider yoga to be a more or less solitary thing and have always recommended people start trying it by themselves first, rather than in some class with other people. This way the only distracting voice in the head, will be one's own... which is often easier to get a hold of.

I usually recommend Richard Hittleman's Yoga: 28 day Exercise Plan. It's very concise and just one time through the book can help one to decide what to do next. It was printed in the '60s but no changes have been made during many years of reprint, it's really just about the most perfect book for any beginner to learn the very basic necessities of yoga.

Thanks for the link and the video, DanceFT. I am always on the look out for what I consider to be "nonintrusive" approaches to yoga and/or meditation. My stream capability is screwed at the moment but I can't wait to load this and give it a try. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2013, 03:40 PM
How Atheist can let Go ! of stress & problems
What happened to "soldier"?
crawled back into the troll hole?
19-10-2013, 04:03 PM
I pray. Difference is I pray to my own personal Jesus, I pray to myself. ... Kept me alive for decades.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
19-10-2013, 06:57 PM
(19-10-2013 01:55 PM)kim Wrote:  
(17-10-2013 04:51 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  When I was at my darkest and most stressed I tried Yoga Nidra (on my I pod) which was particularly good for stress. It's being used for PTSD in returning soldiers. The thing with this type of yoga is that you just lay there. There are no pretzel positions.

http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/2814

It isn't a religious practice though some people can incorporate their beliefs in it.

Ha- I like the pretzel positions! Tongue

I do yoga too. I've done it since I was a teen and have even helped others to do it. It's a great help to focus and clear the mind, as well as keep the body functioning at it's most flexible and stress free, best.

I consider yoga to be a more or less solitary thing and have always recommended people start trying it by themselves first, rather than in some class with other people. This way the only distracting voice in the head, will be one's own... which is often easier to get a hold of.

I usually recommend Richard Hittleman's Yoga: 28 day Exercise Plan. It's very concise and just one time through the book can help one to decide what to do next. It was printed in the '60s but no changes have been made during many years of reprint, it's really just about the most perfect book for any beginner to learn the very basic necessities of yoga.

Thanks for the link and the video, DanceFT. I am always on the look out for what I consider to be "nonintrusive" approaches to yoga and/or meditation. My stream capability is screwed at the moment but I can't wait to load this and give it a try. Thumbsup

I think I've heard of Richard Hittleman somewhere in my yoga searches. My problem when I was under terrible stress was I couldn't shut my mind down. It was going 24 hours a day. I kept replaying the same scenario and conversations in my head so yoga helped bring some peace and yoga nidra specifically helped. One thing about yoga nidra is that the person doing the speaking has got to have a nice speaking voice otherwise it's like nails down a blackboard.

I don't know if this person was a troll or not but if he isn't he should get some help in some form and if he is a troll he'll move on.

I'll look into Richard Hittleman. Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  If I come out as an atheist, my daughter will lose her best friend Carmen Sorge 16 240 04-07-2014 05:19 PM
Last Post: Carmen Sorge
  How to raise atheist children? Strangelove 15 198 18-06-2014 08:30 AM
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Don't Know How to Come Out Atheist XCStump 15 216 15-06-2014 08:51 PM
Last Post: Takelababy
  An Atheist in Church SkepticPianist 51 709 09-06-2014 04:50 AM
Last Post: Banjo
  Father Disowned Me Because I'm Still Atheist elconquistador 13 298 09-06-2014 04:27 AM
Last Post: Banjo
  New Atheist and I'm overwhelmed by sadness after seeing religious family GwenB3 8 172 30-05-2014 02:17 PM
Last Post: Takelababy
  My weird problems diddo97 7 141 29-05-2014 03:51 AM
Last Post: John