How Atheist forums changed my views on Abortion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2014, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2014 03:04 PM by Wicked Clown.)
How Atheist forums changed my views on Abortion
So obviously as a theist Catholic I was brainwashed into the whole abortion is homicide and a satanic sacrifice of an innocent baby to the Devil hysteria.

Abortion can be traumatic and contribute to emotional problems, depression, guilt, regret, and sometimes suicidal tendancies and PTSD. There is no question that Abortion hurts women. Abortion can be fatal or lead to a barren womb, scarring, bleeding, embolism, infections, and other physical complications.

But so does the alternative. The stress of raising children can also lead to emotional problems, stress, exhaustion, sleep deprivation, and nervous breakdowns.

A full term pregnancy can cause anemia, fetal damage, Ectopic pregnancy, Gestational diabetes , High blood pressure , persistent nausea and vomiting , morning sickness, kidney problems, unhealthy weight gain, and be fatal for the baby and the Mother.

Also, an unwanted pregnancy can lead to neglect which increases the risk of the child having social problems, antisocial personality disorder, other psychiatric trouble and increased risk of drug and alcohol abuse and oppositional defiant behavior.

Having the child can cause further trauma for a rape victim. Abortion can also prevent severely disabled babies from suffering more and (im gonna sound like an ass for saying this) being a burden on society.

It can be HELL raising children. If we knew beforehand what contribution the fetus would eventually have on society, then we would truly know when abortion is the right choice.

Anyhow, my views on abortion changed thanks to what I learned on Atheist discussion forums.

(the reason this is in the atheist/theism section is it is a comparison of both the theistic and Atheistic views on abortion.)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2014, 03:05 PM
RE: How Atheist forums changed my views on Abortion
I Heart abortion. For many of the reasons you listed. I've already talked a great deal about my views in older threads though.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
29-07-2014, 03:08 PM
(29-07-2014 03:05 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I Heart abortion. For many of the reasons you listed. I've already talked a great deal about my views in older threads though.

Do you Heart children? lol just givin ya shit Tongue

Abortion is a wise decision imo sometimes and sometimes not. I become more open minded largely by going to Atheist forums and listening to the people who are more educated than I; or who are mothers who know the horrors of having children, or those who have had abortions and don't regret it.

....Ohhh Lord have Mercy! I feel like I'm going to go to hell for this thread Facepalm
29-07-2014, 03:14 PM
(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  then we would truly know when abortion is the right choice.
The only question, really, is
"Whose choice is it?"
Given that it is the mother that is pregnant, that incurs the risks of abortion, that has to take care of the dependent child (should it be born). It seems obvious to me that it is her choice.
We don't need to go through the pros and cons, we don't need to assess the ethics or morality of it. What we need to do is mind our own business and leave it up to those people that are impacted by the situation.
I'm sure it can be a very difficult choice and those people don't need our permission or our judgement.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
29-07-2014, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2014 04:05 PM by Adrianime.)
Haha, I like children well enough, but we have a surplus of those, and too many are not cared for or improperly cared for. Once we sell out all the children to people who want them, and once the population stops growing....well even then I probably still will support abortion.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
29-07-2014, 03:19 PM
(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  So obviously as a theist Catholic

Are there atheist Catholics ?

(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  I was brainwashed into the whole abortion is homicide and a satanic sacrifice of an innocent baby to the Devil hysteria.

Who says that ?

(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Abortion can be traumatic and contribute to emotional problems, depression, guilt, regret, and sometimes suicidal tendancies and PTSD. There is no question that Abortion hurts women.

Prove it. Show us the studies.

(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Abortion can be fatal or lead to a barren womb, scarring, bleeding, embolism, infections, and other physical complications.

So can any surgery, especially those performed by quacks. Abortion is perfectly safe performed by professionals in professional settings, and no more dangerous than any medical procedure.

(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  A full term pregnancy can cause anemia,

No it can't. Bleeding causes anemia.

(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  fetal damage

Fetal damage is not "caused" by a pregnancy going to term.

(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Ectopic pregnancy

Ectopic pregnancies NEVER procede to term. They are fatal unless ended very early.

(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Gestational diabetes , High blood pressure , persistent nausea and vomiting , morning sickness, kidney problems, unhealthy weight gain, and be fatal for the baby and the Mother.

Some of these syndrome occur WITH pregnancy in those disposed to them already. They are not "caused" by pregnancy.

(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Also, an unwanted pregnancy can lead to neglect which increases the risk of the child having social problems, antisocial personality disorder, other psychiatric trouble and increased risk of drug and alcohol abuse and oppositional defiant behavior.

Having the child can cause further trauma for a rape victim. Abortion can also prevent severely disabled babies from suffering more and (im gonna sound like an ass for saying this) being a burden on society.

It can be HELL raising children. If we knew beforehand what contribution the fetus would eventually have on society, then we would truly know when abortion is the right choice.

Anyhow, my views on abortion changed thanks to what I learned on Atheist discussion forums.

(the reason this is in the atheist/theism section is it is a comparison of both the theistic and Atheistic views on abortion.)

I've never seen an atheist argue any of these. The only difference I've ever seen is based on the fallacy of humans "having souls" and zygotes "being a person". A clump of cells with no brain, no neural tube, and no nervous system is not a human, nor a baby, nor an adult, nor an old person, It's a *potential* person. No Catholic can even say when "conception" occurs (exactly).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-07-2014, 03:25 PM
(29-07-2014 03:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  I was brainwashed into the whole abortion is homicide and a satanic sacrifice of an innocent baby to the Devil hysteria.

Who says that ?

(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Abortion can be traumatic and contribute to emotional problems, depression, guilt, regret, and sometimes suicidal tendancies and PTSD. There is no question that Abortion hurts women.

Prove it. Show us the studies.

(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Abortion can be fatal or lead to a barren womb, scarring, bleeding, embolism, infections, and other physical complications.

So can any surgery, especially those performed by quacks. Abortion is perfectly safe performed by professionals in professional settings, and no more dangerous than any medical procedure.

(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  A full term pregnancy can cause anemia,

No it can't. Bleeding causes anemia.

(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  fetal damage

Fetal damage is not "caused" by a pregnancy going to term.

(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Ectopic pregnancy

Ectopic pregnancies NEVER procede to term. They are fatal unless ended very early.

(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Gestational diabetes , High blood pressure , persistent nausea and vomiting , morning sickness, kidney problems, unhealthy weight gain, and be fatal for the baby and the Mother.

Some of these syndrome occur WITH pregnancy in those disposed to them already. They are not "caused" by pregnancy.

(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Also, an unwanted pregnancy can lead to neglect which increases the risk of the child having social problems, antisocial personality disorder, other psychiatric trouble and increased risk of drug and alcohol abuse and oppositional defiant behavior.

I've never seen an atheist argue any of these. The only difference I've ever seen is based on the fallacy of humans "having souls" and zygotes "being a person". A clump of cells with no brain, no neural tube, and no nervous system is not a human, nor a baby, nor an adult, nor an old person, It's a *potential* person. No Catholic can even say when "conception" occurs (exactly).

Well, you know what they say...

"a Catholic the moment dad came..."

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2014, 04:27 PM
(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  So obviously as a theist Catholic I was brainwashed into the whole abortion is homicide and a satanic sacrifice of an innocent baby to the Devil hysteria.

Abortion can be traumatic and contribute to emotional problems, depression, guilt, regret, and sometimes suicidal tendancies and PTSD. There is no question that Abortion hurts women. Abortion can be fatal or lead to a barren womb, scarring, bleeding, embolism, infections, and other physical complications.

But so does the alternative. The stress of raising children can also lead to emotional problems, stress, exhaustion, sleep deprivation, and nervous breakdowns.

A full term pregnancy can cause anemia, fetal damage, Ectopic pregnancy, Gestational diabetes , High blood pressure , persistent nausea and vomiting , morning sickness, kidney problems, unhealthy weight gain, and be fatal for the baby and the Mother.

Also, an unwanted pregnancy can lead to neglect which increases the risk of the child having social problems, antisocial personality disorder, other psychiatric trouble and increased risk of drug and alcohol abuse and oppositional defiant behavior.

I had an abortion 23 years ago and never had one ounce of "emotional problems, depression, guilt, regret, and sometimes suicidal tendancies and PTSD". I've known about 10 or so women over the years who have also had abortions and never had any of these problems either.

Sometime back I read a study that looked at the after effects of abortion on women and the experience was similar to mine. They found that most women went on with their lives without much psychological problems, if any, and were quite happy. It pissed off a bunch of religious nuts but, oh well, what are ya gonna do.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
29-07-2014, 04:28 PM
(29-07-2014 03:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

[Image: Pope-Francis.jpg]

Nah, probably not, but I do like this one better Wink
29-07-2014, 05:20 PM
(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  So obviously as a theist Catholic I was brainwashed into the whole abortion is homicide and a satanic sacrifice of an innocent baby to the Devil hysteria.

RE your dangers of full term pregnancy stuff.............looks like your damn lucky to be here!~Drinking Beverage