How Atheist forums changed my views on Abortion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2014, 06:09 PM
RE: How Atheist forums changed my views on Abortion
Okay bucky ball. In the kindest possible and most endearing way...please fuck off! Tongue You know what I meant about the part of child bearing that causes bleeding, you cheeky scoundrel you!

When I said Theist Catholic I was specifying what branch of theism I fell from. I have known of priests that don't believe in Hell. Well they are Catholic by ordination, baptism, confirmation, but not Catholic by belief or deed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2014, 06:22 PM
(29-07-2014 04:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I had an abortion 23 years ago and never had one ounce of "emotional problems, depression, guilt, regret, and sometimes suicidal tendancies and PTSD". I've known about 10 or so women over the years who have also had abortions and never had any of these problems either.

Sometime back I read a study that looked at the after effects of abortion on women and the experience was similar to mine. They found that most women went on with their lives without much psychological problems, if any, and were quite happy. It pissed off a bunch of religious nuts but, oh well, what are ya gonna do.
Ahhhh, but....
If you had since converted to Catholicism they might have instilled into you incredible guilt from having committed such a grave sin.
Then, you would be experiencing "emotional problems, depression, guilt, regret, and sometimes suicidal tendancies and PTSD".

So maybe the problem is Catholicism. Maybe that is what needs to be outlawed in order to save women from these issues?
29-07-2014, 06:22 PM
(29-07-2014 06:09 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Okay bucky ball. In the kindest possible and most endearing way...please fuck off! Tongue You know what I meant about the part of child bearing that causes bleeding, you cheeky scoundrel you!

When I said Theist Catholic I was specifying what branch of theism I fell from. I have known of priests that don't believe in Hell. Well they are Catholic by ordination, baptism, confirmation, but not Catholic by belief or deed.

Then you should have written "Catholic theist" as that was your intended meaning.

Grammar matters.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2014, 06:34 PM
the reason I said PTSD was because I know of someone in Montana who saw her baby after the abortion. If the person is convinced that it is a son or daughter that is being vacuumed out of them (or other means) that can be traumatic.
29-07-2014, 07:46 PM
(29-07-2014 06:22 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 04:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I had an abortion 23 years ago and never had one ounce of "emotional problems, depression, guilt, regret, and sometimes suicidal tendancies and PTSD". I've known about 10 or so women over the years who have also had abortions and never had any of these problems either.

Sometime back I read a study that looked at the after effects of abortion on women and the experience was similar to mine. They found that most women went on with their lives without much psychological problems, if any, and were quite happy. It pissed off a bunch of religious nuts but, oh well, what are ya gonna do.
Ahhhh, but....
If you had since converted to Catholicism they might have instilled into you incredible guilt from having committed such a grave sin.
Then, you would be experiencing "emotional problems, depression, guilt, regret, and sometimes suicidal tendancies and PTSD".

So maybe the problem is Catholicism. Maybe that is what needs to be outlawed in order to save women from these issues?

LOL. Oh, that's probably true. I was raised by atheist parents (well, one was more of an agnostic) so I never knew about the sin thing. Evil was something else I wasn't aware of. Some of the women I knew who had abortions were raised going to church but they were more occasional church goers so their mental suffering was slight.

Many women have abortions but very few talk about it publically. I don't think it's such a big deal in European countries. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-07-2014, 07:52 PM
(29-07-2014 06:34 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  the reason I said PTSD was because I know of someone in Montana who saw her baby after the abortion. If the person is convinced that it is a son or daughter that is being vacuumed out of them (or other means) that can be traumatic.

I was about five or six weeks into the pregnancy when I had my abortion. I believe at that point it's a blastocyst?

I had a friend who had an Ectopic pregnancy and it nearly killed her.

29-07-2014, 07:58 PM
(29-07-2014 04:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 03:00 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  So obviously as a theist Catholic I was brainwashed into the whole abortion is homicide and a satanic sacrifice of an innocent baby to the Devil hysteria.

Abortion can be traumatic and contribute to emotional problems, depression, guilt, regret, and sometimes suicidal tendancies and PTSD. There is no question that Abortion hurts women. Abortion can be fatal or lead to a barren womb, scarring, bleeding, embolism, infections, and other physical complications.

But so does the alternative. The stress of raising children can also lead to emotional problems, stress, exhaustion, sleep deprivation, and nervous breakdowns.

A full term pregnancy can cause anemia, fetal damage, Ectopic pregnancy, Gestational diabetes , High blood pressure , persistent nausea and vomiting , morning sickness, kidney problems, unhealthy weight gain, and be fatal for the baby and the Mother.

Also, an unwanted pregnancy can lead to neglect which increases the risk of the child having social problems, antisocial personality disorder, other psychiatric trouble and increased risk of drug and alcohol abuse and oppositional defiant behavior.

Having the child can cause further trauma for a rape victim. Abortion can also prevent severely disabled babies from suffering more and (im gonna sound like an ass for saying this) being a burden on society.

It can be HELL raising children. If we knew beforehand what contribution the fetus would eventually have on society, then we would truly know when abortion is the right choice.

Anyhow, my views on abortion changed thanks to what I learned on Atheist discussion forums.

(the reason this is in the atheist/theism section is it is a comparison of both the theistic and Atheistic views on abortion.)

I had an abortion 23 years ago and never had one ounce of "emotional problems, depression, guilt, regret, and sometimes suicidal tendancies and PTSD". I've known about 10 or so women over the years who have also had abortions and never had any of these problems either.

On the other side of this, I wonder how the psychological states of these women would have been effected had they been forced to give birth.

Probably negatively.
29-07-2014, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2014 08:21 PM by Wicked Clown.)
less than 2 months... it shouldn't be bothersome.... no trauma. be grateful that u got it early. No guilt. Be happy . Glow:-)
Let your light shine.

I hate to see the Catholic guilt! it never leaves.

You don't have it? fortunate you!
29-07-2014, 08:48 PM
(29-07-2014 07:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I had a friend who had an Ectopic pregnancy and it nearly killed her.
If the Church had their way your friend would have been left to die or would have had her fallopian tube removed thus making her infertile.
29-07-2014, 10:55 PM
(29-07-2014 08:48 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 07:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I had a friend who had an Ectopic pregnancy and it nearly killed her.
If the Church had their way your friend would have been left to die or would have had her fallopian tube removed thus making her infertile.

One fallopian tube was removed but the other was intact. A few years later she had a baby but she was scared shitless throughout the pregnancy that something would go wrong.

Another good friend of mine had preeclampsia which was discovered fairly early in her pregnancy. Her only option was serious complications leading to possible death or an abortion so she chose to have an abortion. When she went to the clinic to have the abortion all these pro life protesters yelled and screamed at her that she was going to hell and how evil she was. A nun was standing there shoving a photo of a dead fetus in her face. Poor girl, she was beside herself with hate for those assholes. And this was a baby that she wanted and she and her husband were looking forward to parenthood. They never could conceive any children after that pregnancy and she never got over the gauntlet of protesters she encountered that day.

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post