How Can Some People Actually Support Shepard Smith Calling Robin Williams A Coward?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2014, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2014 04:42 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
How Can Some People Actually Support Shepard Smith Calling Robin Williams A Coward?
Let me start by saying that I chose to post this in this section because I know what it is like to suffer from depression, and this very much hits home for me. I had to deal with a lot of verbal abuse growing up. My mother never said anything to me unless it was something negative, and my own uncle disowned me because I have epilepsy and he said that the fact that I have epilepsy makes me weak. I know what it's like to feel alone, and feel like nobody would even give a damn if you chose to just end it all. So, when somebody calls a person a coward for this, I get incredibly angry.

A week after the classless asshole known as Shepard Smith called Robin Williams a coward because he committed suicide, there are still people defending his comments, and I don't know how anybody can defend such an insensitive thing for somebody to say. Depression is not something that people simply choose to have. You hear idiotic comments like "Well, I was depressed when my team lost the World Series. Get over it." Really? How fucking stupid can one be? I guess a lot of idiots have no idea what the difference is between disappointment and depression. Depression is not something that magically goes away. It's not a choice.

It is bad enough that his children have to suffer the loss of their father from suicide, but Shepard Smith has to take it a step further and call their father a coward on national television. How the fuck can anybody actually defend that kind of behavior? How the fuck do you think it makes his kids feel to hear somebody say something like that right after losing their father? I just don't understand how somebody could be so incredibly insensitive, and on top of it, have people agreeing with him for saying it.

People like Shepard Smith and his supporters seem to feel that because Robin Williams was a celebrity, it is somehow perfectly fine to make totally insensitive comments about the man as his family is grieving. Tell me, what would these people say if a loved one of theirs had committed suicide, and somebody told them that their loved one was a coward? They'd be saying "Fuck you! What the hell is the matter with you, going and saying that shit to me and to my family?! How insensitive can you possibly be?" However, because the victim is Robin Williams, all of a sudden his family doesn't deserve the same respect? That is such hypocritical bullshit.

Fox forced Shepard Smith to make an apology because of all the backlash it received from his idiotic and insensitive remarks, but the fact that he was forced to do it makes his apology worthless in my opinion. He also made the apology over an interview by Mediaite, when he really should have done it on the air in front of the millions that watched him make his heartless comment to begin with. That, in itself, is an act of cowardice on his part.

I know one thing for damn sure: Shepard Smith never would have had the balls to say that comment to the family of Robin Williams to their faces. Instead, he made those comments from a television studio, and to do a thing like that is an act of true cowardice. So the only real coward here is Shepard Smith. I'd be the first one to tell him that too, if I had the opportunity to meet him face-to-face.

Depression is not something that can be turned off with the flick of a switch. It is a real condition that people suffer from - it is not a choice. It's always easier to criticize when you're on the outside looking in - to simply say "Hey, get over it!" That's not how it works. People don't commit suicide out of disregard for others. They do it because they feel like there is no hope.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
19-08-2014, 04:46 PM
RE: How Can Some People Actually Support Shepard Smith Calling Robin Williams A Coward?
(19-08-2014 03:47 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Let me start by saying that I chose to post this in this section because I know what it is like to suffer from depression, and this very much hits home for me. I had to deal with a lot of verbal abuse growing up. My mother never said anything to me unless it was something negative, and my own uncle disowned me because I have epilepsy and he said that the fact that I have epilepsy makes me weak. I know what it's like to feel alone, and feel like nobody would even give a damn if you chose to just end it all. So, when somebody calls a person a coward for this, I get incredibly angry.

A week after the classless asshole known as Shepard Smith called Robin Williams a coward because he committed suicide, there are still people defending his comments, and I don't know how anybody can defend such an insensitive thing for somebody to say. Depression is not something that people simply choose to have. You hear idiotic comments like "Well, I was depressed when my team lost the World Series. Get over it." Really? How fucking stupid can one be? I guess a lot of idiots have no idea what the difference is between disappointment and depression. Depression is not something that magically goes away. It's not a choice.

It is bad enough that his children have to suffer the loss of their father from suicide, but Shepard Smith has to take it a step further and call their father a coward on national television. How the fuck can anybody actually defend that kind of behavior? How the fuck do you think it makes his kids feel to hear somebody say something like that right after losing their father? I just don't understand how somebody could be so incredibly insensitive, and on top of it, have people agreeing with him for saying it.

People like Shepard Smith and his supporters seem to feel that because Robin Williams was a celebrity, it is somehow perfectly fine to make totally insensitive comments about the man as his family is grieving. Tell me, what would these people say if a loved one of theirs had committed suicide, and somebody told them that their loved one was a coward? They'd be saying "Fuck you! What the hell is the matter with you, going and saying that shit to me and to my family?! How insensitive can you possibly be?" However, because the victim is Robin Williams, all of a sudden his family doesn't deserve the same respect? That is such hypocritical bullshit.

Fox forced Shepard Smith to make an apology because of all the backlash it received from his idiotic and insensitive remarks, but the fact that he was forced to do it makes his apology worthless in my opinion. He also made the apology over an interview by Mediaite, when he really should have done it on the air in front of the millions that watched him make his heartless comment to begin with. That, in itself, is an act of cowardice on his part.

I know one thing for damn sure: Shepard Smith never would have had the balls to say that comment to the family of Robin Williams to their faces. Instead, he made those comments from a television studio, and to do a thing like that is an act of true cowardice. So the only real coward here is Shepard Smith. I'd be the first one to tell him that too, if I had the opportunity to meet him face-to-face.

Depression is not something that can be turned off with the flick of a switch. It is a real condition that people suffer from - it is not a choice. It's always easier to criticize when you're on the outside looking in - to simply say "Hey, get over it!" That's not how it works. People don't commit suicide out of disregard for others. They do it because they feel like there is no hope.

Psh, of COURSE epilepsy makes you weak. Pray the gay away, right? Unbelievable. Your uncle sounds like a jerk. Sorry you had to deal with that.

I haven't seen or heard anything about this yet, but you are dead on balls right. People like him would NEVER say cowardly shit like that to families faces. Ever. There are so many people who talk shit when people have a loss, it's absolutely disgusting.

You put them in a room with a grieving widow, child, or parent?

They sure as shit wouldn't spew that ignorance.
[+] 1 user Likes MrsFarrow's post
19-08-2014, 04:51 PM
RE: How Can Some People Actually Support Shepard Smith Calling Robin Williams A Coward?
Wow. Just watched the newscast. A "fit" of depression? And his apology is just as half assed.

"I spent an entire hour talking about how much this man affected people’s lives and brought greatness to this world. I was just wondering aloud what could have made this man want to end it all. And it reminds us that we all have responsibility as friends and neighbors to help take responsibility to prevent this from happening. There are people who process suicide as a black-and white-issue. I don’t process anything as black-and-white.
I was sorry to read online the people who see the world in a black-and-white way, and to suggest that they might have a definitive analysis of why he did such a thing. What I wanted to do is celebrate his life and find some meaning in our own lives, since we often do know someone who is reaching out, and we have a responsibility to help that person — maybe a phone call or a door knock is in order.
But no matter how you process it: Look at what this family is going through. I would never presume to know anything about his private life. And if any of his family members and friends were to have seen me use the word “coward,” I would be horrified. I would just to apologize to the end of the earth to anyone who might think that I meant to openly call him a coward.
To the core of my being, I regret it. It just came out of my mouth. And I’m so sorry. And to anyone and their families who see that, I am sorry."

What a tool.
[+] 1 user Likes MrsFarrow's post
19-08-2014, 04:59 PM
What a fuckwit.

I could give more thoughts from my POV as a suicide attempt survivor but frankly I have better things to do than waste time with this bell-end...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 2 users Like CiderThinker's post
19-08-2014, 06:13 PM
(19-08-2014 04:46 PM)MrsFarrow Wrote:  Psh, of COURSE epilepsy makes you weak. Pray the gay away, right? Unbelievable. Your uncle sounds like a jerk. Sorry you had to deal with that.

I haven't seen or heard anything about this yet, but you are dead on balls right. People like him would NEVER say cowardly shit like that to families faces. Ever. There are so many people who talk shit when people have a loss, it's absolutely disgusting.

You put them in a room with a grieving widow, child, or parent?

They sure as shit wouldn't spew that ignorance.

Thanks for the kind words, and yes, my uncle is a jerk.

I told him to go fuck himself when I was in my mid-20s, and I don't regret it one bit. I learned that, family or not, I'm better off without people like him in my life.

I told him "You know what Friedrich Nietzsche said? He said 'What does not kill me makes me stronger', and you know what? He's fucking spot-on! I may have dealt with having a countless number of seizures throughout my life, but you know what? I've beaten it every time. I went through all that and I'm still here, alive and kickin'. You've never gone through it, so that makes me stronger than you, asshole! So go fuck yourself and get out of my life!"

He saw that I was dead fucking serious and has hardly spoken to me since then.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
19-08-2014, 06:13 PM
I suppose that unless you have dealt with depression and suicidal thoughts it's easy to look at it from the outside and be 'so above it all'.

Unfortunately too many people think that any depressive tendencies or other mental instabilities can just be pushed aside with the whole pull yourself up by the bootstraps mentality. It doesn't help when certain religions teach that suicide is a sin which further crushes those that are so inclined.

When a fuckwit comment is made followed by an empty apology it just furthers the ignorance and causes that many more to hide the need for help.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
19-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Of course it's easy to have that mentality - heck before my mental health went off the rails my own stance on depression wasn't too clever either...but to say it publicly is a different matter - if anything the empty and vapid apology - and I use the term quite loosely - make the original comments worse...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 3 users Like CiderThinker's post
19-08-2014, 06:28 PM
There are things that we really can't understand unless we, or someone very close, has gone through them. But that doesn't excuse assholery.

I didn't get the concept of suicide either till I was looking it square in the eye.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-08-2014, 07:03 PM
RE: How Can Some Shepard Smith Calling Robin Williams A Coward?
Being Bi-polar and having attempted suicide myself, obviously I was stunned when I heard this jokers comment. Some people seem to think suicide is the "easy, painless" way out, what they don't realize is that this person was probably in pain for a long time, possibly their whole life, before it came to taking their own life.
His comment shows his ignorance.

WCJ...I have epilepsy too. I'd like to see your uncle tough his way out of a gran-mal. Good for you. Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
20-08-2014, 07:29 AM
I understand RW's daughter had to quit social media because such terrible things were being posted. The anonymity of the InterWeb sure reveals the ugly truth about people.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post